Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frustration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustration
    Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:25pm
The purpose of this post is just for me to vent off a little frustration.  I have had 5 fish die off in 3 days and have the chance to loose probably 3 or 4 more from the looks of them.  The other day I noticed a fish that I had purchased a short while ago had died.  I pulled it out and decided to check my levels just to make sure nothing was wrong in my tank.
My levels were
Sal  1.026
ph  8.14
alk 12.2
cal 440
ammonia .20
nitrates 10
nitrites 0
phosphate 0
CA reactor Solid at 6.69
ORP 330

I figured the raised ammonia must be due to the dead fish. Since everything seem to be fine, I put in a fresh carbon filter to help clean out the system.

The next day, I noticed my Powder Blue had a terrible case of ICK.  This to me was strange because my fish have never had ICK like this and I always have my UV running.  So fearing the worst, I did a quick check of my levels but everything was the same as before except the ph was a slight bit lower (my ph fluctuates but nothing major).  I ended up finding that my bulb for my UV had burnt out.  This bulb must have just been a crappy one because I changed it only 4-5 months ago. 
Anyway,  added some of my dosing garlic to see if that would help save the PB, but I didnt think there was much chance of this.  While I was looking over the tank, I notice my Royal gramma was also dead. 
The next day, I woke up and checked the tank and found the PB dead and stuck to the side of my vortech.  That was my favorite fish, so it was pretty frustraiting.    Anyway, I pulled the fish out and looked over my other fish.  They all seemed to be acting a little strange.  I checked the levels again and the only thing to note is my ORP has been dropping.  Last night I notice my coral beauty was swimming odly and my bluehead wrasse (my other favorite fish) was having issues as well.  This morning when I got to work I was told by my wife that the wrasse is dead on the sand and the beauty is no where to be seen.  So I figure its a goner as well.
All the corals in my tank are looking great, nothing seems to be having problems besides the fish in my main display.  I have 2 or 3 fish in my frag tank but they are doing fine and do not seem to be affected by whatever is going on in my Display. 
Currently as you can see below in my sig, my ORP is at 190. Dont know if that is part of the problem now or if my probe is just being lame.   I am not sure what is causing this, but I do know it sucks when you loose a bunch of fish. 
I may or may not do a big water change today, my levels are still looking normal besides the ORP so I do know if it would really do anything.  I am just frustrated,  thanks for allowing me to vent a little

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:36pm
That sucks Keith!

I know how that is. I have never been able to keep fish alive in my tank. My Firefish is over 2 years old and doing great and I just recently added a flasher wrasse and it is doing great. However in the last six months I have had a twin spot goby, yellow tang, tailspot blenny, and a few other fish all die. I can't find a cause. They eat and swim around all happy then Dead.

Hang in there!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:39pm
Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear it. That would be extremely frustrating.

Here's just 2 random thoughts that probably don't have anything to do with what's going on.

One, I see your ph at 7.8 right now and when you posted it was at 8.14. I know a mild swing is to be expected but this seems like a pretty big swing to me personally. It may be that I don't have a pH probe going constantly so I don't notice similar swings in my tank.

The other thought was the UV bulb dying. Is it possible that running the UV made the water so clean that when it died, and who knows when that may have happened, it could have caused a bacteria bloom that shocked the fish??
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:45pm
I understand the feeling, I was about the throw in the towel two years ago when I lost a Fox Face, Naso Tang, Blue Hippo, Yellow Eye Tang, 3 Anthias, 2 clowns, a Diamond Goby, 3 Yellow Clown Gobies, and probably a couple others within about a week period. 

Sometimes having a reef tank really really sucks.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:57pm
I had a recent ammonia spike.... wiped out my tangs in one day.  It is saddening and shocking when everything looks great one day, and then wham, death.  Sorry Keith. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 1:07pm

Sorry to hear!  So frustrating.  like you and the others I lost all my fish a few weeks ago, they all died cause of ich and I just got done waiting the 6 weeks with no fish in my tank.  Just added some fish finally this week if they die then I am thinking ROWLR.   

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear it. That would be extremely frustrating.

Here's just 2 random thoughts that probably don't have anything to do with what's going on.

One, I see your ph at 7.8 right now and when you posted it was at 8.14. I know a mild swing is to be expected but this seems like a pretty big swing to me personally. It may be that I don't have a pH probe going constantly so I don't notice similar swings in my tank.

The other thought was the UV bulb dying. Is it possible that running the UV made the water so clean that when it died, and who knows when that may have happened, it could have caused a bacteria bloom that shocked the fish??

first, to answer the question on the PH....I have had swings in my PH ever since setting up the system in Kaysville, which has now been over a year.  I am not sure why I have such swings, because when I lived at my previous house my PH was solid all the time.  The only thing that has changed is the city where the water comes from.   Im not saying it is a good thing that I have these swings and I do plan on getting a Kalk reactor to help keep it steady. I just havent had the extra funds with the wife being out of work.  With that being said, maybe it has finally become an issue for the fish but why after so long?

Second.  The UV idea is an interesting topic.  I guess that could be something, I just dont know how to prove that....

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 1:27pm
Thanks for all the responses.  I hate not knowing if the issue has passed or if it will continue and kill off all of my corals as well.  If that happened I dont know if I could stay in the hobby, that would be one heck of a blow to my moral. 

Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 1:33pm
Not that this is any help cuz i'm a rookie but might explain a lot about all my stupid post but my PH Swings majorly day to day i'm talkin 1-2 points a day...
Chance Evans
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 2:29pm
I lost 3/4 of my tangs in my ray tank about a month ago. (10). Found it was my ozone machine. It was working but producing a strange smell. After shutting it off and changing the charcoal everything looked great 30m later. Check yours and make sure its working correctly.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:20pm
As noted, the elevated Ammonia is due to dead fish.
The failure of the UV Sterilizer and the dieing fish is what has caused the ORP to be overtaxed and fallen to 190. There is too much pollution for the tank to handle.

I'd have turned on my RDP lights 24/7 as soon as this happened and depending on the result of the RDP lights, may have turned on the display tank  lights for a longer photoperiod, temporaily.

Then I'd be feeding the best Garlic Oil I had. I test and find the brand that works best in each system. FYI, Garlic Extreme has in most cases had less favorable results than the stinky $5 bottle of Garlic Oil that I found at Smiths Grocery.

Then I'd do a 20% water change and maybe another in a few days depending on whether the first one made any bit of difference.

The major obstacle here is that fish are harder to keep than coral. Fish can go down like dominos. It's happened to most if not all of the old timers here. Hang in there.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:48pm
Mark, that makes a lot of sense.   While reading over this, I remembered that just a few days before I noticed all these problems that for some reason the return pump to the main display was not pumping water up to the main tank.  The pump was on, but it wasnt flowing.  I unplugged and plugged it back in and it worked like it always has.  I am not sure how long it might have been off, because I didn't notice any major water level differences, but it was a little lower.  However, I do (did) have a pretty stocked tank and I guess if it was not cycling the tank the levels of crap in the water would be pretty high. 
So with all that dirty water and the non-working UV seem to have been the catalyst for the issue I have now.  

Mark, other than the water change and garlic do I just let everything run its course and hope for the best?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

...other than the water change and garlic do I just let everything run its course and hope for the best?
I definitely agree that a well stocked tank needs every bit of the filtration to be operating correctly. Good reason to put the brakes on when thinking of buying "just one more" fish.

In order of importance:
- first, Increased Lighting to allow algae to absorb the pollution
- second feed a good stinky Garlic Oil in minimal feedings to the remaining fish
- third, do a water change only if it makes a noticable difference (remember that a water change only decreases the N compounds by the same percentage as the water change and that, except in extreme situations, the larger the water change the more stress on the tanks inhabitants.
The tank has the means to filter itself if you simply let it.
Then all you can do is wait and watch the tank recover. And it will.Big smile
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 8:39pm
Thanks, Mark...I will do as you have instructed and go from there.  I adjusted my skimmer to more of a wetter skim as well to see if that does anything.  I am hoping I have stopped my losses, but only time will tell. 

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 9:12pm
Sorry to hear about your fish troubles, Keith - hope things get better for you...

Me, I am the exact opposite of (apparently) alot of people here. Once a fish gets etablished in my tanks they seem to last forever!

Corals come and go... especially since I have a weak spot for the more delicate kinds Confused... but fish?

My Coral Beauty is coming up on 7 years old now; same with my Yellow Tang, my Tomato and Oscellaris Clowns too - had them since I first set up my old 125g at my old house in PG back in 2003

My Hippo is 3 and I'm not sure how long Asad had him before me

My youngest is the Pink Tail Trigger and he is just about a year old

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 9:21pm
I usually have good luck with fish as well..my CopperBanded Butterfly is almost 3 years old, my coral beauty was in my tank for 2 years and in someone elses for 3,  my wrasses are almost 2. My Powderblue was over a year (replaced one I had for 3 years), the damels I have are about 4 years old (some of my first fish), My yellow tank is 4 years old, my clowns are 2 years, and the newest fish in my tank are 2 firefish that are over a year old.  That is what drives me crazy, I have had my fish for as long as I have had the 120 (now a 150).  My tank was at the perfect number fish where there was always movement in the tank.  Unfortunately it looks pretty barron tonight.  I am concerned about at least 2 more fish, but there is not much I can do besides wait out the storm.....

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2010 at 1:02am
These things happen to the best of us. Sorry for your loss.
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:53pm
hey keith sorry to hear about your loss Cry  on a side note having seen your frag tank and location i would be willing to bet that your ph swing is due to your furnace using up oxygen in your basement.  i remember you telling me that you were in an older house before that was probably not as well sealed up.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by BDerron BDerron wrote:

hey keith sorry to hear about your loss Cry  on a side note having seen your frag tank and location i would be willing to bet that your ph swing is due to your furnace using up oxygen in your basement.  i remember you telling me that you were in an older house before that was probably not as well sealed up.
I guess that could be a possiblity.  I am thinking about running a air tube outside to feed the skimmer

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 11:01am
I think things are getting better, however here is the list of fish I now have lost due to the mystery:
Bluehead Wrasse
PowderBlue Tang
Fire fish
YellowTailed Damsel
Aussie Black Clown
CopperBanded Butterfly
Pink Diamonda Goby
Sand Sifting Goby (maybe the cause of the orginal problem)
2 Royal gama
Green Bullseye Manderian
Coral Beauty...

My second clown still doesnt look very happy, so we will see if he is added to the list later.  This has been very frustrating, but I still plan on being on the Reef Tour so I can show off my big tank with my 6 fish. Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic