Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mp40w

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mp40w
    Posted: December 15 2009 at 9:32pm
Back to the reef tour at Adam's house.. Whenever Im talking about tanks, I alway have to talk about Adam's tank with the four mp40w. I have never seen something like that. What Im hearing a lot of people haven't seen a tank like that. The waves are just to cool. I just got a mp40w and plan on buying one a month until I get four mp40w. Adam's was alot of help there. One thing I didn't ask was how do I know if my tank will take the extra pressure on the walls? All that flow hitting and hitting the walls all day long. Well with all of the waves will every inch of my tank get flow? I'm have a problem with some sps but everything eles is glowing like carzy.Is it just the flow? I tested the tank lastnight and everything doing good. I know I can just send Adam a e-mail because it is his tank with the four mp40w but 100's of heads are better than one. "right"
I know I will just a lot of reply so before that I would like to say thank you
thanks
   Josh
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:31pm
Well it doesn't fix all flow problems... and it does present some aquascaping challenges.

But it sure does look cool doesn't it!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:36pm
I got a pretty nice wave going with just two MP40w cant imagine 4.  I stuck with the lagoon setting though.  How big of a wave do you have?
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:44pm
Well if I turn it up it will throw water right out of the tank.  I have it turned way down to produce about a 2 inch peak amplitude.

Adam
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 12:07am
Thats pretty cool I never got near that large of a wave you have to love the ecotechs.
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 4:19am
I only have one and keep it on lagoon mode to supplement the seaswirls in my tank. Everything seems to get plenty of flow and is growing fast so I assume is happy.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:37am
In my tank I like to show off the wave as well, I only have 2 in my 120 (soon to be 150) but for the most part I keep it on reefcrest and sync mode.  I have found that if you run these pumps in anti-sync mode, which is needed to get the wave action) the dont do a good job in creating a flow throughout your tank. I didnt learn this until my latest purchase of these pumps.  I was always having red slime growing on my sand bed and couldnt figure out why these pricey pumps couldnt give me enough flow to keep things clean. So I sold them.  

Later on, I read in the Echotech forum on RC that when you run it in the anti-sync mode it really only counters the master pump really well in the pulse mode.  If you use it this way in lagoon mode or reefcrest mode, the slave pump is only running between 10-30% of what the master pump is running.  This is because it only fills in the difference of 100% that the master is running, so say the master is running at 70% of full speed,  the slave is running at only 30%.  And since the master rarely drops down less the 60% on lagoon or reef mode, your slave pump really isnt contributing much to the flow of the tank.
Therefore, if you want to use any other setting besides making a wave, then I would suggest running it on sync mode.  
This is an issue I hope can be addressed by the ability to control these pumps by different controllers in the future.  This is why I will be buying an Apex in the next few months

Edited by chk4tix - December 16 2009 at 6:38am
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:56am
thanks the waves look nice but Im after the flow. Now thats the info. I will after
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:09am

Good to know.  I wish ecotech would make there instruction manual a little more clear.

Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:11am
My wave is in sync.  I run a standing wave (third harmonic for you real geeks out there).

Adam
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

My wave is in sync.  I run a standing wave (third harmonic for you real geeks out there).

Adam
are you able to get the wave because you have the 4 in the one tank?  Im not a big enough geek to translate the third harmonic into the vortech. lol

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:29pm
With two vortechs you can make some awesome waves.  Even with one you can.  But in a 300 gal tank it was difficult to get the whole tank rockin with two.  It was super easy with four.

Adam
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:33pm
Adam,
Any chance of posting a video i wanna see this!!

Edited by Kiltboy - December 16 2009 at 6:34pm
Chance Evans
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:34pm
Im almost ashamed to be associated with geekiness on this huge of a scale LOL
Life is good....right?
jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Im almost ashamed to be associated with geekiness on this huge of a scale LOL
  AGREED!!! haha jk, I wish I had a couple of vortechs in my 150
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:04pm
Kiltboy.... I don't have any video of my own tank.  Well, maybe I do.  But it isn't loaded up anywhere.  But if someone wanted to come film it and do the ol' youtube thing that's fine with me. 
Here's a good video for reference of what a third harmonic standing wave looks like.

Adam
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:16pm
That's AWESOME!!!
Chance Evans
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:32pm

Kiltboy.... I don't have any video of my own tank.  Well, maybe I do.  But it isn't loaded up anywhere.  But if someone wanted to come film it and do the ol' youtube thing that's fine with me. 
Here's a good video for reference of what a third harmonic standing wave looks like.

Adam
how long is your tank?   I can only get the sea-saw in my tank but its only 4 feet long

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:43pm
My tank is 6... but I've used vortechs even on tanks 2 feet long.

Adam
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 7:45pm

My tank is 6... but I've used vortechs even on tanks 2 feet long.

Adam
and you have gotten a third frequency wave in a 2 ft tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic