Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what if $10,000 was given....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what if $10,000 was given....
    Posted: September 16 2009 at 11:29pm
If you were given 10k and was told to set up a 210 gallon tank. What would you buy? The only requirements are that it has to be fully stocked with fish and corals as well. So the 10k is for all the equipment and to fully stock it? Let me know.... I'm just curious. My boss just told me I had between 8k and 10k to set up a tank. NOW if that isn't fun I don't know what is... to be able to buy what I don't have money to buy!

Anywho let me all know what you would do. I have an idea but let me know. Oh, he doesnt want any SPS in it.... I know I know, I don't want to go there.... but that eliminates some stuff right off the bat!
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 11:48pm
Is it for an office display? Where would the tank be going? Will there be access to behind the tank?
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 12:45am
That will be a heck of a project! FUN!!!

I do suggest making the tank as self sustainable as possible, For the first year or so I think it will be taken good care of, but many people end up letting office tanks go because they get too busy, or they go through a hard time and can't keep up on it.

Make it one heck of a setup, over do everything on the equipment, and Order the fish and corals from people like Dana at Ccritters, or whoever Jogn and Gabe can order from here on the board- Possibly get with an LFS, and see if they will give a screaming deal on livestock for the project, but save as much money as you can on that and put the majority into the equipment. 

And get some sort of Aquacontroller and dosing setup if at all possible!
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 3:25am
I would do a quality t5 fixture like the TEK 8 bulb, or the ATI 8 bulb. I would definitely go glass. I would put it on an aquacontroller. I would run closed loop to give it a clean look in the office. I would use seaswirls to make some nice wave movement. I would get a good skimmer and sump, but no need to overdue it. I would stock it with a nice variety of zoas/palys, some nice softies, like tyree toadstool, and if he is up for it, acans/favia would be very nice. I would skip a bunch of hermits/snails and just do a couple tangs that can clean things up, like ones in the bristletooth family. An anemone and clownfish would be great, but the tank probably wont be mature enough for that for a few more months. Sounds like a great project. Enjoy it!
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 9:23am
I think the #1 thing to consider is to make sure he/she knows what they are getting into. Many erroneously think that all it takes is upfront $ to have a great piece of living art in their office. They never consider or want to consider the ongoing cost of electicity, supplies, etc. let alone ongoing maintenance someone will have to do.

I would make sure they are keenly aware of these things before you embark. Right now you would be excited to set something like this up for them, see it everyday at the office, and be the man that makes it happen. Soon, it will become a burden, heck you may even change jobs, then what will happen? Will you really want to take those calls at 8AM on a Monday AM then?

If I were setting something like this up in my work place, I would make sure that the boss has budget for a person to come and maintain it and I would help them find that person (reputable company) and then work with them to design the tank they would most want to maintain in that environment.

Knowing what to do for home hobby projects does not make us necessarily qualified to build out the proper system for a commercial setting.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 9:44am
Thefu your not a wet blanket I have thought about all this. I should have said that it is not going in the office. It is going in his home. He is a close friend of my familys as well and he understands I will not be at this job forever. I dont mind the up keep because heck, I will be getting paid a good amount.

Yes he does understand the on going maintance and is totally fine with it and can def. afford it with out any problems. He understands that if some day I do get tired of getting paid a good amount of cash to come in and maintain it he will and knows how to hire. It is not a commercial setting it is a home setting. It will be just like mine and your tanks thefu. A simple reef tank... what makes it even more simple than ours is he doesn't want things in there that require more maintanice like SPS  (he doesnt like them something about they arent pretty enough).

Chad no access behind it is all under neath it and on top he has an extra cabinet built in ontop of the canopy.

Crzy and downhill my thoughts are right in line with yours!

Thanks for the remarks keep them up, Who wouldnt love being given 10k and told to have fun!? You would be crazy!
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 9:57am
If all he wants is LPS and softies I would get the ATI Sunpower in the 6x80W version. I know someone who can get you that fixture at wholesaleWink LOL!

I would also get a pretty decent skimmer even with it being LPS and softies.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 10:00am
Well i forgot to mention I did get 2 quotes from to LFS down here. ITs going to be around $5500 for good equipment. so that lives me with $4500 for livestock (that 5500 includes sand and rocks too). 
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 10:48am
$5500? what size did you get quotes on?
Sounds like a good deal on a complete setup with sand and rocks if it's a good sized tank.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 10:58am
Its a 210 gallon tank with MH and t5s, skimmer, controller, powerheads, return pump, uv stelizer, salt, rocks, sand, everything except for live stock.....
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:43am
You MUST run an Apex controller IMO on any tank like this. You can easily control all lfhting xooling and have leak detection, etc with a wireless connection that will alert you to any abnormality in the tank. You can also put magnetic switches on the tank access and know when anyone breaches areas where they are not supposed to go and tell you later that they did not.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:54am
Already ahead of you on that one thefu... that is what I was planning on doing! I wasnt going to set it up without the controller on there that I could get it through email if something was going on! Thanks for that advice! I think that is key in setting this up! I actually go the idea from you and how you are on vacation for weeks at a time and have yours set up. 
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 12:10pm
The tank, a stand, the cheapest lighting you can find, and like 1000 blue yellow damsels!  Now we're talking!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 12:48pm
Why not make an offer on this tank and stand...It looks pretty nice

Also, even without SPS you may want to consider a calcium reactor to eliminate the need to dose and monitor alk and ca levels as closely once you dial it in.

I would run the same light kit as tileman. Probably runs $1600-$1800 for the fixture, bulbs and ballasts.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 1:28pm
i acutally thought about that one that is listed. But i can get the tank stand and canopy from these two LFS down here for less than 2k. 
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 1:34pm
just make sure its an apples to apples comparison on the stand...I can't vouch for that one, but I know not all are created equal and someone with high-brow tastes is not going to like a shoddy, RC Willey-type stand...especially once it shows two years of water-wear.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 1:57pm
he is actually having it custom built. 
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 2:41pm
Nice. Well create a build out thread once youstart so we can follow along and let me know if you need help with the apex.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 2:49pm
I will thanks Terrance! 
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 3:27pm
I don't know that I would ever spend $1800 on the lights when you can get the 8x80W ATI Powermodule for half the price. This is gonna be for softies and LPS. I would actually only get the 6x80W version of the ATI Sunpower. It is only like $750 with bulbs plus you will use half the power.

That extra $1k could be used on a nicer skimmer, every module for the Apex, or even better livestock!

That is JMO though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic