Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Phosban/Carbon Reactor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Phosban/Carbon Reactor
    Posted: February 26 2009 at 7:56pm
Got one of these ViaAqua bad boys this week and filled it with SeaGel and Kent Carbon Pellets. It has been running 48 hours and already the phosphates are down from nearly .2 to less than .1 .

It was super easy to hook up and it fit in the same area of my sump that my filter sock and skimmer are located.

The whole setup with the media was less than $50 and that includes the little circulation pump that the unit ships with.

Just wanted to put it out there for anyone else that may be looking.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 8:15pm

I was looking that them the other day but didnt order one yet.  I just might have to give it a try now thanks for letting all of us know how it worked for you.

Megan&Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan&Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 9:39pm
i just got one of these and was wondering if i can just fill it with the little white phos-ban balls

Red sea 650 and two 35g red sea

all for sale

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 9:46pm
You can use only phosban, but i would rinse it first for sure as I read a test where some of it has aluminum particulate that will leach into the tank if you do not rinse first. You can use just phosban, but having carbon as well is also good for most tanks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 10:35pm
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but a simple bag of carbon and/or Phosphate remover in a good flow area, especially around the intake screen for a pump, accomplishes the same thing at a much lower cost.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Megan&Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan&Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 10:48pm
i have always used the socks of carbon and phosban but thought that a reactor would be more eviciant
any way i added carbon and phosban thanks for the help

Red sea 650 and two 35g red sea

all for sale

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 12:24am
Mark, I was running a sock with phosban for two months, changing it every few weeks and the phosphates still would not come down all the way...who knows, maybe its my over feeding...

Maybe its overkill, but the results from the phosphate test before and after were clearly different...and i took the reading at the exact same time of day and my feeding schedule is regular.

Pretty cheap investment even if it is overkill...I may run it dialed down once the levels come down.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 8:46am
If I had been involved when you were using a "sock", I would have been able to help you use the best "sock" and place it in a way that it would work. This hobby is not that difficult nor expensive, but there are many "tricks" to be learned.Smile
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 9:43am
I appreciate the offer and I am sue I will reach out in the future. I used the term "sock" but was referring to a media bag designed for such a purpose and I placed it at the bottom of the bubble trap on the return pump outlet side of my sump. It might have been doing something...just not enough in my situation. Water will traditionally go to the point of least resistance and unless I backed up the flow by making all water going through the bubble trap go over the media, I don't know how I could have done it.

Ultimately, if there is no harm in using a device such as this, then I guess I am out a few dollars...no biggie...at least I did not kill a bunch of fish. I guess I could always turn it into a kalk-reactor somewhere down the road if I wanted to go back to a "sock".

Just so you know, I am very grateful to all on this board for helping me get a jumpstart on this hobby and teaching me some of the "tricks". I am especially grateful to Dave Anderson who has mentored me on many of them and who helped me get set up in the first place back in early November.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 9:59am
LOL  Mark's charm is hard to swallow sometimes isn't it?

Terence - good job! Clap I was thinking of getting one or the via aqua ones of the one from 2 little fishies.  I think I might have to go with the smaller of the two because I want to run carbon and phosphate media.

Edited by sukie - February 27 2009 at 11:52am
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 11:27am
I've been useing seachems seagel for yrs on my 65g.   Wouldn't use anything else.  A perfect mix of A/C and phosban.   I also run it though a reactor.   Much better than a sock.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 12:33am
Viaaqua vs two little fishes?
vs

< I broke both barbs off of one of my two little fishes most likely from tightning down some clamps around the connections to avoid leaks... 

how are the barbs/connections on the Viaaqua?

however I'm with mark on this one... I did stop using the reactors all together and just started to fill up my return sox with phosban / Carbon as needed.

Edited by NickinSandy - February 28 2009 at 12:38am
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 10:44am
The Two Little Fishies reactors always worked great for me. I don't notice much difference in the tank when I just use it in a sock.

Mike

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 11:54am
The 2 little fishies looks like a good one too...i got the ViaAqua because I didn't need to buy a separate pump.
jbutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 1:40pm
I use the 2 little fishies reactor on both of my tanks.  I'll never go without one.  Works much better than a "simple bag" of phosphate remover.  
Great purchase thefu, you'll be glad you added it to your system.  
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 2:40pm
I used the Two Littles Fishies as well. Great - and simple way to used carbon or phophate absorbant.  Certainly more expensive than a sock - but IME, more efficient as well.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:00am
Thanks Sukie. I need the feedback and you said it in such a nice way. I want to be more like you.Hug

What if I rephrased it like this?

Did you use a "sock" of large enough mesh to allow easy water circulation through it. The media bags sold in this hobby are too small of mesh. The holes get clogged within a few days and then the filter media doesn't have any water flowing over it. I use Tulle/Bridal Veil material with a larger mesh, purchased for pennies at the Fabric Store. bag it loosely not tight. I then place the bag so that it wraps partly around a pump or powerhead intake. That draws water right through the PO4 remover or AC. This actualy provides faster filtration than a "reactor", at a mere fraction of the cost.

Also, if you are using Activated Alumina, the white granules, they turn tan to light brown when exhausted. It's probable they were either not fully used or not getting enough flow to do the job quick enough.

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 01 2009 at 11:04am
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:42am
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I appreciate all perspectives and insight. Yes, I used the "recommended" mesh bag from the companies that sell the media and the LFS. I have a 1100gpm pump and I would feel worried that putting anything in front of that would choke it off. I could see the bridal veil mesh working for the Kent carbon pellets, but the pellets in the SeaGel are about 1.5mm to start with and I would be afraid they would break down and enter the display. Sometime in the future though I may try this (the bridal veil)  for carbon in the overflow into my bubble trap.

Again, $36 is pretty cheap considering the costs of other things in this hobby...I prefer that expenditure to "rigging" something to save those few bucks and risk phosban media in my display or burning up my pump.

Oh, and my phosphates are now down to ZERO after just 5 days.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 8:25am
You will find that I have an answer for almost everything. I am a major DIYer, not "rigging" but making maximum use of resources. Embarrassed
Okay, more tips:
Bridal Veil comes in many mesh sizes. A size appropriate for that media is available and yet not so small of mesh as the typical media bags which are so restrictive to flow.
Bridal Veil is made of very strong fibers.
The bag can be placed in such a way that the suction at the intake does not make it wrap completely around the intake. Actually it can be as simple as just throwing it on the bottom of the sump next to the intake and then turning it over in a week or two.
IME, intakes often need larger screens to diffuse the suction as a precaution to prevent accidental things from getting sucked up Shocked
It's not just a money issue. It's a space, electricity and hassle issue.

Oh, did I tell you, my other major thing is KISS.LOL I love the technology and learning that this hobby requires, but the key to it's enjoyment is to keep it as simple as possible. It's my high ratio of enjoyment:hassle that is the reason that I am still in the hobby. People always see my tanks and how much amazing life is growing and comment on how much time I must spend on maintenance. I just chuckle.Smile

SeaGel is a mixture of Activated Alumina(AA) and Activated Carbon(AC). I never bother buying the marked up high priced stuff. I just buy the AA and AC separately in bulk. Remember, I just watch until the AA turns tan/light brown. That is when it is used up. Then I replace it. If AA is really needed in a system, it will turn tan within days. If it takes AA two weeks to go tan, then it wasn't actually needed.Approve

Although I must state that I believe that PO4 gets more negative attention than it deserves. I've seen tanks die because of the continual use of PO4 remover. It can cause Leather corals to disintegrate. You may not want to know how many times in my long experience in this hobby that I actually used PO4 remover. I can count the times on one hand.Wacko

PO4 is necessary for algae growth.Thumbs Up Coral's symbiotic Zooxanthellae Algae also needs PO4 to grow. In fact, algae is the basis of all life in the world and especially in our tanks, so growing algae properly should be one of the hobbyists dear treasures.

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 03 2009 at 8:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic