Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP With Bicolor Blenny (picking at coral)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP With Bicolor Blenny (picking at coral)
    Posted: January 28 2009 at 3:42pm

My bicolor blenny is nipping at my lilttle 8 head frag peice of acans...I've had both of them for more than a month and hes never done this before...Everytime i go set it back on the rock he goes and bites it and throws it off the rock..He's done this  like 8 times in a row...and its only the acans he messing with...Its been going on for the past 3 days or so....The only way to get him to stop is to just turn all the lights off for the day...

does anyone have any idea to what i should do with this????THanks

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 3:56pm
Could be a couple things.  How new is the frag and how long had it been in that spot?

If it is new and/or in a new place:
It could be that the blenny has claimed that part of the tank.  Does the blenny sit there or hide in a hole nearby?
Have you checked the piece for any bits of algae or anything else he might want to eat? 
If there is a bit, you many just have to glue it down till he leaves it alone.
My fish will taste new corals, but is usually because there is either something on it or on the rock where I put it.  It is pretty useful for getting rid of any algae that may have come with the piece, but gets really annoying when they won't leave it alone.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 5:09pm

My tank is a 55 gallon..The acans are at least 2 months old...theres no algae in the spot where there at.. i've tried moving them all around but he still goes for them... right now i have them on the sand...If i place them upright he will bite em and flip them upside down but after there up side down he will not mess with them...Its seems that he just does not like them....

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 5:12pm
they are to colorful for him lol.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 4:34am
Give it something else to play with. Place another frag there and see what happens.
Also is there enough soft algae growing on rocks and glass to keep the little guy from getting too hungry?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 10:42pm
Blennies, like tangs, like to browse all day. Do you have sufficient algae for him? Maybe you need to supplement with some Nori.

Mike

adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 11:46pm
ya there should be enough algae for him ,my tank is more than 5 years old..But also he eats the frozen meaty foods that i feed the rest of the tank....Where do you get nori?? also what is it?

He wouldnt stop picking at them so i placed the acans in another tank... i wanna reintroduce them back into the tank in a couple weeks in see if he still does it...
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 7:56am
Nori, sometimes called Sushinori can be found at any Asian market or the Asian Foods section in the supermarket. It is dried sheets of seaweed used for the outside wrap on Sushi. You want roasted not fried and it comes in a package of 10 sheets about 8" X 10" for about $2.50

Mike

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 1:22pm
Sun dried Nori is even better.

Isn't this MB fantastic. Smile Keep asking questions to learn more.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic