Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting interceptor results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting interceptor results
    Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:31am
I removed 2 of my three cucs, Not a good idea and I would not recommend doing this if you treat. My tiger died when my black ejected his stomach. Truely disgusting act. The black however, is still alive and well. I also removed several stars, they all seem to be fine but again really un-nessecary as the 20 or so left in the tan are uneffected by the treatment. I also took out the only coral band shrimp I could catch minus most of his anteni and both front claws, he is mending well.

Anyway, I missed a few hermits which died the next day but the interesting thing is that my fire shrimp and 3 clearners are fine. No worse for ware.  I was sure they would have also died fairly soon after the treatment.

I only did one water charge 6 hours after the first treatment and added 2 cups of carbon. The good news is I have no signs of red bugs. I am treating again this Thursday. I think that I some how got lucky on the dose I used and it was strong enough to kill the bugs and hermits but not the larger shrimp.

Anyone ever had shrimp survive a treatment of intercepor?? 

I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:39am
Connie, the two times I used interceptor it didn't hurt any of my larger crustaceans (large shrimps) either but did kill all my hermits, acro crabs and emerald crabs.  And it was a month or two before I started seeing pods again in the tank.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 9:37am

Im wondering if the second treatment is really necessary. I've read a lot about it and it seems most people do a couple of treatments just to be safe, but the bugs carry their eggs on them so i dont see how a second treatment would be needed. Maybe you can just leave it and if you need a second treatment do it when the bugs show up again?

when we treat corals we never do a second treatment because the bugs never show up again...just a thought
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 6:07pm
That is good information Connie. Thanks for posting it.

Mike

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 6:34pm
Do the second treatment! .. yes the red bugs died however the unhatched are still alive and will hatch again .,. there was a article that I read while I was dosing interceptor that stated they have a 7 day cycle ... so I did 3 treatments 7 days apart .. and my tanks are now red bug free and have been for quite some time ....

I too am in the club of no shrimp died .. however I did loose all my acro crabs, emerald crabs, pods but very few if any hermits died ... Fred (our largest hermit crab) lived threw all 3 doses of interceptor .. and is now quite large! ..
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 11:31pm
I too am in the club of no shrimp dying.  I did notice one thing that was funny though.  The shrimp that survived did have a a few problems when he molted.  he didnt have one antane and another was deformed.  But now after many molts he is back to normal.  Just a little something a bit different.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic