Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something weird appearing in tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
utahquailguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something weird appearing in tank
    Posted: July 29 2008 at 4:57pm
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and have to say I am very impressed and I plan on joining the Wasatch Marine Society!  Anyway I am rather new to hobby and I have a 30 gallon tank with a goby, clown fish, and bleny and three or four corals.  I bought the tank six months ago and it had been established for three years.  I have noticed a little bug type thing popping up everywhere that resembles what a dog leaves on the neighboors lawn.  It is reddish brown and they are everywhere.  Any hints on what it could be?

Thanks and look forward to your replies.

Darren
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:01pm
Bristleworm or flatworms is my best guess without a picture.

Edited by Cameron - July 29 2008 at 5:03pm
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:14pm
I will take a pic tonight of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:15pm
It literally looks like a pile of dog poop with a point sticking up and it attached to rock, filters and snails.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:18pm
Sounds like flatworms to me.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 5:59pm
I know exactly what you are talking about... and I have no idea what they are.  But I'm sure they are good.  I get them in my tanks until I add fish.  Large fish seem to wipe them out.  I'll see if I can get a pic of any in my tank.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 6:08pm
So, it really looks like Dog S*$T?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 6:50pm
yeah looks just like it.  I stopped by fish 4 u and they told me it was indeed flatworms.
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 6:59pm
its prob a small feather duster i have them in my tank and thats what they look like. if i was at home i could get a pic for you but alas i am at work :P

Ryan
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 7:18pm
I was thinking a feather duster as well.Flat worms look like coral line specs or small specks of algae. A pic would help allot
Mike Sanches

Magna
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 7:36pm
From what you said, I believe it is a snail.
Touch it with something and discover if it is a hard rough spiral that rises in a short vertical end. If so, that is the calcium tube home of a Vermitid Snail. Watch for it during feeding time. It sends up a mucous net to catch food and then pulls it back to it's mouth. Small ones can proliferate and large ones are fun to watch. The larger variety can be the diameter of a pencil.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 29 2008 at 7:39pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 7:52pm
That's what I was thinking Mark.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 8:01pm
Mark,

I think you nailed it.  When I fed my fish they did have mucas type of catcher so is it a bad thing to have these in the tank?

thanks

Darren
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by utahquailguy utahquailguy wrote:

Mark,

I think you nailed it.  When I fed my fish they did have mucas type of catcher so is it a bad thing to have these in the tank?

thanks

Darren

No!  They are good at cleaning up the detritis left floating after the fish are finished eating.

When it comes to little critters in the tank there are very few that most advanced aquarists believe to be bad.  A few of the bad would be red bugs that live on SPS, Red Planaria flatworms (they tend to proliferate into plague proportions), pest amenmonies such as Aptasia and Manjanos, and probably a few others.

99% of the "small" life in your tank is not only good, but a sign of a healthy tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 9:49pm

Thanks Will I wont worry about them anymore.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:01pm
I agree with Mark. It sounds like a vermetid.

Mike

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:07pm
Vermetid

Mike

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I know exactly what you are talking about... and I have no idea what they are. 

Adam

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL for some reason I find that hilarious!
"So, Just right in half? I have a very large one, Like 4" that I would like to frag, as well as a few smaller ones"
Cameron
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:24pm
Here is an article from ReefKeeping.com about Vermetids:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

-Rocks
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:36pm
Heys guys, In that pic i posted, What can you tell me about that goby, except that it is a highfin goby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic