Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Anenomes....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Anenomes....
    Posted: May 22 2004 at 2:34pm

Hey guys, I have my LR setup in a way that leaves the back open and my 2 anenomes have both moved to the back where I can't see them.

Is there a way to get them to detach from the rock, so I can move them to a better spot. Short of actually cutting them off the rock?

Patrick
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2004 at 2:45pm

What kind of anemone?  I wouldn't cut them.  You can point a powerhead at the base of the anemone and very gently coax him away from the rock with your fingers, but let the powerhead do most of the work.  Or just move the rock he's on to the front side.  Or better yet, just let him stay.  It's likely that after you move him to the front he'll just move back to the back side.  Anemones will stay were placed if that place meet's their needs (current, light, food, maybe others).  If that place doesn't meet it's needs it'll move until it finds a place that does.

reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2004 at 2:47pm

You can try directing some water flow directly at them... could this be a reason why they may have moved in the first place? They'll pretty much move to their most desired place on their own, though.

Jason

www.captivereefing.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2004 at 2:57pm

good info, thanks.

Maybe I'll put a couple power heads in the back that keep the water moving behind the rocks, then nothing will want to be in back except the fishes when they are playing

Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2004 at 7:47pm

That worked, I used my powerhead to 'strongly coerce' him into another area. He wasn't all too happy with the sudden tornado, but seems to be recovering in his new home.

Thanks guys

Patrick
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 11:34am
I'd recommend moving rocks so they don't go right back.
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 11:59am
I have a 13" green BTA. I tried blocking all holes to keep him from going back behind the rock. Within 15 minutes, he had squezzed through a hole no bigger than a quarter. Good luck!
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 12:03pm
It's all good. The powerhead thing worked so well, I now have one permenantly shooting across the back to make it uncomfortable for anyone that thinks about going back there.
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic