Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jpndave's Cube - New Pics 19 May 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
jbutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 5:00pm
That is a picture of a fungia in my avatar. The picture you posted is a blue tort. Here is a picture of the yellow tort. (looks more green under the lighting it's being kept under right now)

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 2:58am
Two more just for fun.  Sorry for the crappy pics, my good camera fell off of my desk.Angry  I don't know if I can justify repairing it.  Any suggestions for a very good point and shoot?  I will probably have to go that route for a bit until I can afford the Nikon DSLR I want.  (thinking about he D40X).  Does anyone have any input for either of these?

Anyway, here are the pics:

Blasto from MSEMANUEL:

My Indo Tri-Color.  I thought this one was going to be ugly but it is starting to color up nicely under the halides.

Edited by jpndave - February 05 2008 at 2:59am
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 3:08am
Looks great.  I got some of those blastos as well and man do they grow quick.  Dang.  I feed mine a few times and now they all have 5 or 6 babies around all the big heads.  Awsome blastos. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 7:53am
Dave,

I use the Nikon D40 and love it.

Mike

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Dave,

I use the Nikon D40 and love it.

Mike

Thanks Mike!  That firms it up, D40X it is!

What lense (or lenses) do you use.  I was thinking of starting with the 18-200 or 18-250 zoom and then getting a dedicated macro lense for tank shots.  What is your experience with lenses?  Which lenses do you use?

I am looking at these lenses:
D40X

I was thinking of getting one of these to get by.  Is there a better choice in a point and shoot?
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 10:18am

DSLR is niiiiiiice!  I can't wait to see the pics that you'll get with the new toy, Dave!

If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 9:23pm
Dave,

For taking pictures of the family I like the 18-55mm lens. The one that comes with the camera is pretty darn good. For taking pictures of the tank I mostly use a Sigma 150 Macro.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 9:39pm
Here's one from the Sigma 150

Mike

Nano_Reefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nano_Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 10:47pm
That is a way cool shot. I shoot with the Canon Rebel but would like to upgrade to the Canon 20d or the more expensive 5d.
Some picts I have posted are at: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23399

I dig the tank, especially the Christmas rock, it is just stunning.
How do a fish and a shrimp pair up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:00pm

Thanks!

Mike

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:11pm
Ok Mike, that is just you rubbing it inLOL.  I am gonna have to buy a DSLR one of these days!
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Here's one from the Sigma 150

Mike

WOW!  That is a nice shot Mike!  I'll have to look into that lens.  Is your camera the D40 or D40X?  I have been doing some reading and what I am finding is that the D40 is a better camera than any up until the D200.  Interesting, I have been dreaming of owning a D80 and it sounds like I would be happier with a D50 at like, half the price.  I broke the news to the wife today.  Now, just need to get a house sold!

I am still in a dillema over my C5050.  I have really liked that camera and it takes great pictures for a point and shoot.  I have a Nikon N80 film camera and I really thing the C5050 takes better pictures.  I just don't think I can justify the $200 repair bill on a 6 year old camera.  The Nikon Coolpix P50 is $157 shipped on Amazon right now.  I may just get that one for now and then the D50X in a few months.  Have you heard anything about the P50, or is there a better choice?
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Nano_Reefer Nano_Reefer wrote:

That is a way cool shot. I shoot with the Canon Rebel but would like to upgrade to the Canon 20d or the more expensive 5d.
Some picts I have posted are at: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23399

I dig the tank, especially the Christmas rock, it is just stunning.
How do a fish and a shrimp pair up?

ThanksEmbarrassed  The Christmas tree rock is one of my favorite pieces now.  My favorite corals are PPE, GARF Bonsai, Christmas tree rock.  I really like Yasha and my True Red BTA.  Yasha is almost never out and I don't know what that crazy anemone is doing.  It can't seem to decide whether to live or die.  It has been contracted on a rock for months.  I thought it would have died by now but it just sits there, ocassionally moving but never opening up.

The Yasha and Pistol should just get together and share a burrow.  I'm not sure where the pistol is.  It went MIA a week ago or so.  I have seen it once since I put it in the tank.  There is an article that mentioned putting the shrimp into the tank with a piece of pvc pipe already there as a starting point for the shrimps home.  I did that but when putting in the shrimp, it slipped out of the container before I could get it over the pvc.  I'm not quite sure what to do to find it now.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Yasha is still fine but spends almost all of it's time in hiding.  It sneaks a pod here and there and will usually come out when I feed microcrabs to grab a piece here and there and seems healthy otherwise.  I would really like to get those two paired up where I can see them a little better.  Any way to find that crazy shrimp or do I assume it is gone? 

Edited by jpndave - February 05 2008 at 11:23pm
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 1:45pm

A couple more pics I found:

Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 3:36pm
I have an emerald crab too! they are fun to watch although mine runs and hides whenever he sees me with my camera!
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 6:07pm
Dave,

Mine is the D40. I see no need for 10 megapixels and needed the faster flash synch.

Mike

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 6:20pm
What is the difference in the flash sync?  I was unaware of that difference.  I thought the only difference was in the capture mechanism ie, 6 vs 10 megapixels?  The online prices I have seen aren't that far apart anymore.  I am leaning towards a D40X (or the D40) body, Nikon 18-200 lens, and when I can afford it a macro lens and flash.

The last group of pictures was taken with a D50.  My mother came out and had to snap a couple hundred pics.  Mostly of the grandkids but the tank got a few too.
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 6:23pm
Hey did you buy all those Zoa frags from reefkingom.com?  If so, how was shipping and packaging on them. They all look sweet. And that Blue n white jawfish is something special

also it says that the AoG zoas are per polyp, did you order one and they sent you a couple or did you order all three?

Edited by soundsurfer - February 07 2008 at 6:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 6:27pm
The flash sync speed on the D40X is 1/200 and on the D40 is 1/500. For 99% of the people it makes no difference. I need the 1/500 sync for photographing coral fluorescence.

Mike

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 6:42pm

That is a bit of a difference Mike.  I will have to do some more research.  How does the sync speed affect photos?

Edited by jpndave - February 07 2008 at 6:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic