Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acrylic
    Posted: March 30 2004 at 7:16am
I had a not-so-great experience with Regional when I was buying the acrylic for my 130.  Who is the other player in town for acrylic and does anyone have any first hand experience with them?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 7:32am

I've bought sheet from Delvies Plastics.  They use a mexican brand cell cast sheet (not plexiglass brand), but I couldn't tell the difference when working with it and it's cheaper then Regional.  Without much effort on my part the guy there sold me a sheet of 1/4" at their "wholesale" price ($80) which isn't too bad.

I think Laird's also carries the stuff.

What happened at Regional?

jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 7:32am

Marcus if you don't mind me asking what did you end up paying for your acrylic?? Delvies also sells acrylic you can check the pricing on the web.

looks like jfinch and I were typing at the same time.

Edited by jbruse
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 9:52am

Regional cut the sheets 1-3/4" too long.  49-3/4" instead of 48".  I didn't measure it when I was there so I called and they said that the cast sheets come wider and they would recut them for me since I had 48" written down.  Well, I had made special arrangements to get them picked up and didn't have time to go back down there.  So I called them back to see if they would work something out with me and Eric, my salesman, wouldn't come to the phone so someone else acted like a prick and kept me on hold the 15 minutes then hung up on me.  So I called back and Eric still wouldn't take my call so I told the secretary what I thought of their company and hung up.  Up to this point, I have not any problems with them but trust is a like a branch, it takes a long time to grow but can snap in a second.

I bought 2 full sheets of 1/2" (12mm) cast, 1 piece of black 1/4 (for overflow), weld-on #40, applicator, cutting cost, and 2 sticks (72" each) 1/4x1/4 extruded rod for $462.  It was expensive but I have 1/2 a sheet still that I am going to use for the sump. 

Thanks guys!!

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 11:43am

What are the dimensions of the tank going to be? Also, what are you using the sticks and extruded rod for?

ps. I am glad that you internationalized and found the extended ascii set :-)

Edited by DutchDude
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 3:38pm
Hi Marcus!  Does that extended ascii set still say something about "Always open to criticism?"  Looks much more interesting in greco-roman letters.     ;o)
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 6:08pm

The extruded rod is to add to the bracing on the bottom where the front and the sides meet it.  Just for added support.

I actually have a translation dictionary from Arabic to English and I tried to copy and paste something and that is what I ended up with.  No, it doesn't say anything about being open to criticism anymore.  But its a secret.

hairboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 9:09am

Hey Marcus,

Delvies has a nice website,   http://www.delviesplastics.com/

I found them doing a search for Novus products to polish my tank.

The guy that helped me out was real cool and he hooked me up with a product that was a lot cheaper than Novus that works just as good.

Kleenmaster Brillianize $15.00 a gal.

Read your saga about your tank... Bummer.

Later, Brian Hatch.

Edited by hairboy
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 9:55pm
Marcus, I use professional plastic's in kaysville? they are alway's cheaper than anywhere else...alot cheaper. They are a nationwide chain and VERY good about getting/selling the right stuff for the job. I use them for my company quite a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic