Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE 2007 REEF TOUR "BLOG" - EPILOGUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: How will YOU be participating in the 2007 Reef Tour?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
5 [10.20%]
11 [22.45%]
1 [2.04%]
30 [61.22%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 9:52pm
DANG! so far I have recored "the blue planet" to have running on the tv, and I need to clean the glass better, although I do need to straighten up the cords.Smile

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Great pictures. I like those new corals and the fish are beautiful!  
Mike

Thanks, Mike Big%20smile

Kind of ironic that the $100 camera does a better job than the $400 camera, though Ouch

I just checked WeatherChannel.com and they are forecasting 'some showers' for Saturday... hopefully not as cold or wet as it was this past Saturday (in Lehi, we actually had snow for about an hour - but it didn't stick)....

Gotta get working on those signs... and maybe waterproof them, too Confused

My biggest concern for the Tour is now that I got the whole family all "worked up" over it - especially with me making such a "big deal" out if it and all.......

what if nobody shows up ? DeadDeadDead

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:12pm
snow, we had a couple of inches and my daughters made a full snowman.

I was going to take a photo the next day, but it warmed up and they smashed it.
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 11:47pm
It looks like rain and 50 degrees for Saturday. Last Saturday we had snow too but it didn't stick here.

Mike

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 11:48pm
The rain may slow the numbers a bit, but it won't bust the tour. You may want to buy an extra welcome mat for inside the house to avoid wet and muddy feet in your living room!

KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 7:17am
Originally posted by ljbs ljbs wrote:

Reset timer on the tank so the lights will come on earlier and things can get used to the new schedule.

Thats a good point, I'd better do that too.

-Rocks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 2:24pm
Thanks Linda! Everything will have to wake up early for the tour.

Mike

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 2:32pm
Last it rained . . . and it didn't slow us down!

Love the entries guys!!!  Keep them coming!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 3:10pm
LOL
Originally posted by gizmond gizmond wrote:

Drill in hand. Forstner bit installed, I cannot pull trigger on modifying cool cabinet hood. I am weak. Consult LFS. "Dude, it's a piece of wood, drill it and do a nice job. No-one but you (and possibly Dion) will care". LFS recommends I post a pic of a bunch of shavings and pile of splintered wood as a joke on Dion. Not sure if that would be wise. He knows where I live.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I should read more of these posts in a timely manner.

Bring it to me and Ill put vent holes in it for youWink

(remind me to get chris next time I see him)LOL
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
gizmond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

LOL

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I should read more of these posts in a timely manner.

Bring it to me and Ill put vent holes in it for youWink

(remind me to get chris next time I see him)LOL

Wednesday

Dear Blog,
Secret plan to get Dion to drill this hood for me seemingly works. May yet manage to avoid another unpleasant encounter with a power tool. Will now have more time to do something better suited to my skill set...like making cookies.

Thanks Dion!  Could I bring it to the meeting? Any chance you could do it before or after the meeting? I have this really cool drill and a brand new drill bit in case you hadn't heard.

Jeff (gizmond)
Jeff, Kari, Nate
75g Pirate Tank

"No one is completely useless. They can always serve as a bad example."     Anonymous.
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 4:33pm
Dear blog......
No time to write.....

month ago bought a house
almost tore the house down and started from scratch....set up the new tank.....last week got moved into the new tank as well as the new house.....still plumbing new tank.....sump runs great....hood needs some work...and I don't have near enough rock to fill the tank....I also realized I have room for alot of new rock and corals.....got the new fish in after urban aquatics held them for about a month.....there were a few fatalities, but everyone that hit the tank is still great.......had a small cycle, but thanks to todd and some stability, only lost a four line wrasse....all the corals opened up and look great.....lost half of a birds nest because it fell into the sand and was covered for a day.....ok maybe two days.....

I still need to finish the hood{so I can take off the towels}and finish plumbing....I also still need to get a close loop pump......this will help.....

Well got to run and do some of my list....

Edited by EagleEyez5 - October 03 2007 at 8:21pm

WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 5:02pm
Dear Blog,
Secret plan to get Dion to drill this hood for me seemingly works.

LOLLOLLOL

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 8:57pm
Wednesday, 10 / 03

With just *** 3 DAYS *** until the REEF TOUR, today was the day to start work on the REEF TOUR SIGNS Big%20smile

I had several ideas on this...

First, a LARGE lawn sign. Basically, welcoming the Tour visitors and letting the neighborhood know what is going on. Plus, if I were looking for my house, the lawn sign lets me know I found the right house. And did I mention it was going to be LARGE ?

So, off we went for WalMart to get some supplies (markers, posterboard, etc.)

While in WalMart, the wife notices some 'banner paper' and says -

"Hey, you think you want to use some of this banner... Uh oh..." and then a look of regret came over her face that she had even said anything at all...you know, that look like when you are in the LFS and the spouse wants you to check out a "really pretty coral" and then realizes it's the one that's marked at like 200 bucks...?

So now I have a 75 FOOT LONG BANNER to make a lawn sign with (I guess it is no longer a problem fitting in everything I wanted to write!)...and, when I pointed out that it would be GREAT cause, hey, our entire yard is exactly 75 feet wide... ConfusedLOL

So I spent some time at work going on MSWord and printing up 10 inch tall block letters that spell out "Coral Reef Tour Open House" , "Welcome Guests", "wwwUtahReefsCom" etc... and I burned through about half a $200 commercial ink toner cartridge, too (sshhhhh Embarrassed)

I know that we will 'compromise' on the Lawn Sign but at least I'm prepared...

Second, we are making at least 1 indoor display sign that would go right next to the viewing area. Describing the setup, a list of fish / corals /inverts, that kind of stuff. So people can look and just figure out "what is what" for themselves. Just emailed a "prototype" display sign back home for proofreading and format approval Wink

Next, while in the store we picked out the refreshments - so come hungry Clap

Even remembered that we have some reef-related "paintings" (color by numbers, don't get all excited LOL) the kids did, and a pretty big 'Reef' jigsaw puzzle my wife did and glued together awhile back (thanks, honey Heart )... those will make for some nice "ambience" around the setup...Thumbs%20Up 

The only 'setback' today is I found out my daughters Laptop is having wireless connectivity problems... hopefully we get that back up before Saturday... thought it would be a nice touch to have the WMAS site up "live" at the refreshment table; to show any unfamiliar visitors just what the WMAS is all about StarStarStar

Edited by carlso63 - June 04 2008 at 1:16am

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 10:12pm

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with my "computer genius" friend and he is off work on Friday; so he will be stopping by Friday to get that Laptop back online Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile in time for the Tour!!!

- AND -

The Weather Channel has updated Saturday's forcast from "some showers" to "a few showers"... and, from a 50% chance of precip down to a 30% chance...well, a 'few' is less than 'some'...right?

Maybe this forecast storm will either get past us earlier than first thought - or will just brush us with a sprinkle or two and keep most of "Tour Day" rain-free... Clap

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 8:16am
Robert,

I'm thinking I've got to come to your house tomorrow! I can't wait to see that banner!

Nice work! Its these "little" things that make a tour stop unique and memorable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 8:37am
The snacks sound good too!

Mike

EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 11:54am
back to the blog...

got the return wave maker installed....I am just working on the spray bars today, and hanging the shelf in the wet room....this will allow me to set the balasts on it completely above the tank in the other room.....no need for salt creep to get them......and the final thing to do is the hoods finishing touches....
oh and clean the house.....I will have a walk way set for people to walk around to the back door and straight down to the tank......{this should help with my wife's stress of unpacking the boxes of 'my crap' that still litter the front room....

also....could not get the aqua controller in before the tour ....but will be installing it after......

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 12:17pm
There are some great Blogs in here! ..

Want to add new corals from store display. Wife says "If you move just 1 coral from the store tanks your gunna get it" .. dang Confused .. (thats the hardest part about having all this coral in the house. the wife will not let me have any!!)

So I guess I have to make due with what I have ..

Edited by thebutler4 - October 04 2007 at 12:18pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 6:56pm
Thursday, 10 / 04

OK... we are down to the last *** 2 DAYS *** until the Reef Tour !!! Clap

Time to start finishing all the prep work and getting everything in place for Saturday morning...

First order of business is those signs... have to say the indoor signs came out even better than I expected Thumbs%20Up 

This morning we spent a good 2.5 hours cutting out large lettering that was basically 650 point font size (yes, 650 ptConfused) on MSWord... pasted them very neatly onto the appropriate signage and came up with:

- A 6 foot long by 3 foot tall "Welcome WMAS Reef Tour Visitors" banner to fly over my 6 foot long tank

- A 3' "wwwutahreefscom" banner for the overhang of the refreshment  table

- A 2' by 3' posterboard entitled "All About Our Reef Aquarium" that lists things like display / sump / fuge sizes, types of lighting systems, filtration / skimming systems, water parameters for the Reef - and a list of all the fish / inverts / corals within the Reef (beautifully accented with artwork by the missus Big%20smile)

- various reef-related artwork including a 2' by 3' reef fishes jigsaw puzzle all glued together and now ready to hang

About the only major piece left is the lawn sign. Probably gonna go with a "less than 75 ft long" banner ShockedShockedShocked as I 'came to my senses' and realized that something that big won't hold up 5 minutes outdoors - especially if it rains Ouch

However, based on the wording of the sign - that I have already "commisioned" be placed on it - it should still end up somewhere between 6 and 8 foot long by as much as 5 foot tall. Pretty substantial, dontcha think? LOL

And, before I forget, major kudos to "Mrs Carlso63" for all her help and ideas... especially the artwork and working on that lawn sign all by herself while I am stuck here at work... AND for putting up with all my "ideas-slash-demands" and "waywaywaaaayoverthetopness" on the whole 'Reef Tour' thing... HeartClapClapClap

Tomorrow:

Setting up the tables / chairs and putting it all together!Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 6:58pm
Sounds awesome! Clap

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic