Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bristle Worm Convention (Rated PG-13)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bristle Worm Convention (Rated PG-13)
    Posted: February 24 2004 at 5:50pm
I had a Dwarf Lion in my reef refugium for about a week, and I decided I'd better feed him, so I picked up a few feeder goldfish (I know, I know, it's not his regular diet ) Anyway, after thrashing around the refugium for awhile in an unsuccessful attempt to acclimate to saltwater, the goldfish decided to cuddle up next to a rock in my fuge. After about 5 minutes, this was what I found.

I came back and checked about three hours later, and there was nothing left. Now I know what happens to fish in our tanks that disappear without a trace.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 6:17pm

This post could not come at a better time.  I was preparing to ask a question just a second ago.....

How far do most of you go to remove dead fish from your tanks?  For me, if I can reach in and grab it then I do.  But if it is behind a rock or in the back of the tank or I have to reach around something, then I leave it.  I figure why reach in the tank and scare the other fish.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 6:33pm

Ryan, very cool pictures!  Looks like you ought to feed them more often .

Adam, if I can see it and reach it I'll remove it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 7:05pm
Adam and Jon, Thanks. I thought it was a pretty interesting
scene. I couldn't believe these things just started coming out of
the rock like ants coming out of an anthill.

Pretty crazy.
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 7:39pm

Wow!  That's just plain scary!  And I was worried because I found one the other day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 7:52pm
What's interesting is that I have only seen them in my main tank about a dozen times. I'm sure there are more that I don't see hidden in the rock, but it's kind of interesting what happens when you "ring the dinner bell." My refugium seems to be a good place for them to multiply.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 8:56pm
Ryan, How long do you think it would take to get rid of a human body that way?

Adam You said why reach your hand in there and scare other fish? I am always putting my hand in the tank moving corals, cleaning and such. My fish are so used to it half the time I can pet my tangs.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 9:00pm
Bruce, I'm not sure how long it would take to get rid of a body
with these guys. Do you have one that needs disposing of?

Edited by Ryan Willden
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 10:28pm

Ryan, How long do you think it would take to get rid of a human body that way?

"You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig." "

A great movie...

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 6:34am
Fantastic, awesome pics Ryan. Thanks very much for sharing that with us.

It's a little known fact that Bristleworm larvae are free-floating and become a major source of coral and small invert food.

In my own personal observation, in a tank that stops receiving food, the Bristleworms will eat all the detritus and then start ingesting sand just to clean off the organic matter on the particles surfaces. This could effectively clear a so-called clogged sand bed in a matter of weeks or months.

Bristleworms are our friends
(just don't one with a bare hand )
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 7:23am
My bristle worms are just like my fish...  they all start coming out when I feed the tank.  Also I always have my hands in my tank as well, and my fish are used to it, and the shrimp will come clean my hand.  They don't run from me, and my little female clown will take shrimp from my hand many times.  I've seen my bristle worms eating sand, then spitting it back up many times.  In fact I have problems many times with my bristle worms stealing the food out of my anemone.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:20am
I rarely remove dead fish. If I can grab them I feed them to an anemone or fuzzy mushroom. If I can't, then the crabs and worms get them.

It really ticks me off when my anemone gets a more expensive meal than I do.
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 9:24am

Snatch

The only fish(large yellow tang) I have lost recently didn't even give me a chance to get him out.  Swimming around the night before - totally gone the next day.  Between my brittle star and crabs there was nothing left...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic