Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rasmosa going sexual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rasmosa going sexual?
    Posted: February 20 2004 at 8:45am

I woke up this morning and my 10g tank was really cloudy, at first I couldn't figure out what had caused it. Then I noticed almost all of my Rasmosa had changed to a translucent light green.  I have no idea what would have caused this, could this be the rasamosa going sexual?  All of my razor calurpa is doing fine.

I did a 20% water change and my skimmer is running overtime so hopefully everything will be ok.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
peregrinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peregrinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 9:04am
Yeah it does that i don't know if anyone knows why. the best thing to do is do water changes to get the toxins out of the water.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 10:09am
Happened to me too.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 10:55am
From what you said, that there is other Caulerpa in the 10 gal., the most probable cause is that the racemosa was outcompeted for nutrients and chose to leave and spread it's seed (gametes I believe) to better pastures.

Another cause could be due to something significant happening to the tank within the last week or so. Many kinds of change can signal it to produce gametes; heat, light, water parameter change, or even major organism death and final decomposition which exhausted a large supply of nutrients, etc.

You did the right thing by having more than one type of algae and by doing a water change. The razor will use the remaining nutrients but I recommend another type of macro be found to add essential variety to your garden. I have several types and Crazy Tarzan periodically harvests several non-caulerpa types and gives them away.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 1:14pm
The razor is a semi-new addition to the tank, and they did grow in the same location, but I didn't know the rasmosa would just decide to leave.  Is there any way to know what types of macros will play nice together?
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 2:26pm

razor?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 5:25pm
I've read somewhere that a little Iron, in a good bioavailable form obviously, will prevent caulerpa from ever going sexual, even if it gets a little beat down. Don't know if it's true but if so it'd be great. I'll see if I can find anything and post it here.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

razor?

Adam

I've also heard it called blade caulerpa.  It the stuff that kind of looks like a saw blade.

I was worried about my tank all day today as even after the 20% water change the tank was still very cloudy, but when I returned home from work I found the tank water to be crystal clear.  I guess the skimmer did it's job (it's nice to have a skimmer rated up to 80G on my 10g tank).  The few drops of live rotifers might have helped a bit too.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 7:13pm

Now we all know Jon is the nerdiest person here.  But this is my chance to shoot for second place. 
Did you know that the primary toxic released by C. racemosa is Caulerpin?  And other than me, who cares?  No one, I know.  But I do find it to be a fascinating compound.  And even nerdier, other than me, who knew how to draw it out?

Adam

(what do you think Jon, is that good enough to come in second?)

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 8:09pm

a cyclo-octatetraene ring... oh how it warms my heart.  You win!

What does it do to other lifeforms?  And how can you know that and not know the pH in your tank ?

(btw, I had to look up cyclo-octatetraene in my O chem book, it's not very often one sees an unstaturated cyclo octane )

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 8:46pm

I don't know if I win.  I'm pretty sure you still win, and sometimes I too have to look up the term cyclo-octatetraene because I can't remember it. In fact I usually refer to is as a cyclo-octane ring. I think because it is rare, and because it is such a fascinating molecule (look at that symmetry) I remember stuff about it. However, I can't tell you much about what it does, and its mode of action.  By the looks of it, I would say it is a neuro stimulizer, but this is getting out my area.

By the way why would I know what my pH is?  Isn't that something I would need a test kit to know? 

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic