Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BT anemone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BT anemone
    Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:02pm
I got a bt anemone when I got my maroon a.f. (they were together @
the lfs) anyhow, it's dead now and I still can't figure out why. It
lasted a little over a week, but it never seemed tp act normal. The
maroon stuck by it 'till the end but eventually it just died. I have VHO
lights, though it decided to stick itself in the darkest part of the
tank, finally i just moved the rock it was on to a bright spot right by
a powerhead, but it still died. I use RO/DI water and have no
phosphates, my ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates were
3ppm. The only thing i can think of was that my tank is new, it was
fully cycled (obviously) but it came with the first round of fish. I have
heard that they do better in tanks that have been running for more
then a year. any thoughts on this.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:12pm
How much lighting do you have over what size of tank?  I read somewhere else on here (I think...) that a possible reaction to too little light is hiding farther under the rocks.  I have a bt anemone in my 29 gal, I have 175 w mh and 2 32 w pc actinics, and been running for about 7 mos now.  Mine seems to do just fine.  I've seen a bta in a 10 gal with 55 w over it too--pistonfisters tank to be exact.  Ask him for specifics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:17pm
i don't think it got too much light as my VHOs are rather old (i'm not
trying to grow coral so i don't see any reason to get new ones untill
the old ones don't work anymore). the tank is a 125g. sorry i do not
know that wattage of the lights, they're big and brite, how's that?
maybe it was just depressed
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:30pm
Usually anemone's take as much or more light than sps corals.  How many bulbs do you have over your tank, and how long are they?
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 3:38pm

I have heard also that anemones are fragile shippers, did you acclimate it very slowly (Slowly is over a 2+ hour period.) 

From my exp the faster I acclimate live goods, the quicker they die, and the more trouble they have.

Fish in general can handle faster acclimations then anemones and inverts.  But as stated numerous times by members on here, it is better to take things really slow in this hobby.  We all want to rush, but have learned hard lessons from going to fast.

Good luck with the new tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 4:00pm
maybe that was the problem. honestly i do not remember how long i
took acclimating it. I have 4 36" bulbs staggared along the hood (2
actinic 2 full spec.). i was told that anemones did not require as
much light as corals. well i guess i will have to wait for two things,
for my tank to age and for me to get enough $$ to buy new VHO's
(unfortunatly i think this will be a while.)
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 5:46pm

Here is a link to liveaqauria.com.  It will give some specifics for bubble tip anemones.  http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=2 3&pCatId=604

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2/common/store.cgi?dbname =f2&path=top/C/CA/CAM00  this one is to fishsupply. 

Who told you that anemone's didn't take as much light as corals?  Is your tank a 125?  what are the dimensions?  L x W x H ?  I noticed you've had problems with a few other things as well.  Make sure you are doing your research on each item or animal and making sure your tank can support it.

If you have 4 36'' vho bulbs, then you have 380 watts of light.  The actinics won't look as bright as the full spectrums.  Though it's not a very good comparison, you have about 3 watts per gallon on a 125g.  I've read it's recomended to have at least 5 if you want to keep corals, anemones etc. A lot depends on how much of the light is getting down into your tank too. 

Though the lights may not be the problem if you want a reef tank you will need to upgrade them to grow other things, so I would look into that, tank parameters and your acclimation procedures.

Edited by Crazy Tarzan
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 10:17pm
Anemones are very fragile. I think that you should have a very established tank. You also said that your lights were very old. You definetly need good lighting. Also I have read that some anemones are damaged from the collection process. If you get one that has been cloned in someones tank then you stand a better chance IMO
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 7:11am

djangoboots

I still have 5 BTA I'm trying to sell before I move in January if you're interested in trying a tank raised anemone ($23 each).  Mine love the MH lighting I have and seem to split about every 6 to 8 months...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 7:55am
Flaz, thankyou. I would love to buy one of your BTAs but I really do
not want to be responsible for the death of anything. I think that
maybe I should wait untill my tank ages a bit more and I can aford to
upgrade my lighting. Thankyou again for the offer though, it is very
kind.

Crazy Tarzan, I was told that anemones required less light then
corals by numerous people (who care for both), if that was not the
case I would not have bought it. I actually studied marine biology in
the states and in australia. I have written many papers on reef fish
(mostly population dynamics though). And I have done alot of
research on my tank. I have had a few problems, all of them
unforeseen, but who here has not?? The reason I am here asking
others questions is in hope that maybe others have had some of the
same problems and can share their advice, and because in the
research I have done I have not been able to uncover the answers.
Enough of that. My tank dementions are 72"x18"x24" i think. I do
not have any plans of doing a reef tank, right now I am very happy
w/ my live rock, inverts and fish. I now realize that it was a mistake
to get the anemone, and I do not plan on getting another untill I
know that I have done everything so that it will. By the way Crazy
Tarzan, your birthday's the day after mine, another crabby crab
LOL!!
Thankyou everyone for your input.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 8:33am

djangoboots,

I personally killed two anemones due to lack of knowledge, so I think that I can speak from some experience. However, I had a BT that actually did VERY well under 65w pc. I killed him/her/it by adding a LT under poor advise from a LFS. Also, I believe that the LTA had some issues when it was purchased. Recognize that their metabolism is very, very slow. So, what happens to them now may not be noticed for quite some time.

One thing regarding lighting is most anemones survive in a symbiotic relation with with a marine algae called zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae are photosynthetic organisms whose waste products are used by the anemone for food. Since the zooxanthellae require light to carry on photosynthesis, anemones in turn require bright light to thrive in the aquarium.  The zooxanthellae are generally a light brown color, the same color as the light brown leather corals that also harbor zooxanthellae.  The loss of zooxanthellae, apparent by a whitening of the anemone, usually means the anemone will slowly grow smaller and smaller until it dies.

So is that to say that these animals need as much light as sps? Maybe not, but they require adequate lighting which means ensuring your bulbs produce the proper spectrum and intensity. Like you, I will not aquire another anemone until I feel comfortable doing so. It's been about a year since my anemones had a fight to the death and I am still not there. There are so many other beautiful corals, less prone to having issues that an anemonefish (or if Adam is reading... Dolphin) can have a "symbiotic" relationship with. Also, mushrooms will add a huge amount of color and variety to your tank, and are almost impossible to kill off.

My $2.        By the way, I miss the Carolinas! Do you go to Bikeweek in Myrtle? My wife and I got married on Myrtle Beach. Yes, ON the beach.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 8:45am

I had a 90 gallon tank that was 8 months old with 220 watt pc and bought a bt with a clown.  The bt did the same thing as you stated and even when it was all shrivled up the clown stayed by it.  I thought for sure it was going to die then I bought 2 250 watt mh lights and it opened up immediately and climed right up the live rock to the top of the tank.  This was a couple months ago and it has now split into two already.  And it is not at all fragile once it got the light, for I have smashed it, torn it, twisted it and about anything else and didn't even phase it. 

Just my experience,  Cody

Edited by cpearce....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 8:59am
Carl,
No I do not spend much time in myrtle beach. Are all you guys bike
freaks? kidding. They often come up through charleston on their way
to MB. I can always tell when it's coming up, everything gets really
loud. I use to think i wanted a bike, but now i just want a vespa
(please don't hate me!). but what does this have to do with inverts?
Back to the BTA. He never did loose his colour, he just spent most of
the time all balled up with his mouth very loose (i was told this is not
a good sign) though he looked great at the store and it only took
him a week to die. I think alot of it had to do with the lack of
neutrients in my tank (and light too). One day I will get another, i
think it''ll be a while though.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:03am

You havent;t treated the tank with any chemicals have you, in that you have inverts in it, this may not be an issue.

I have a BTA in a 18g with two 36 watt pcs (72 watts), and it is doing great!  The math on that is 4 watts per gallon, it stays pretty close to the surface where it can get the most light possible.

I have heard others say that you want to be in the 7 to 9 watts per gallon range, it all depends on what you want to grow.

Good luck!

Oh yeah my tank raised Ocellarious just moved in to the BTA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:12am
No it has not been treated with anything.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:21am

was the mouth flacid when you bought it?  it might have already had problems then, and the extra stress of putting it into a new tank just finished it off. 

My bta will ball up as the lights start to go off, then open back up after a few minutes.  I think it's just reacting to the change in light.  Just out of curiosity what salinity do you have in your tank? 

Also, I second the mushroom bit.  I have some and have inadvertently done about everything to them, and they are still doing good.

I love when my bday is.  I like being the awnriest or 'crabby' person in my family.

Edited by Crazy Tarzan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:42am
NO its mouth looked fine when I bought it, it looked fine. At that
time my salinity was 1.024-5 I had it high b/c i had read that
anemones like a higher salinity. now that it is gone I've been keeping
it at 1.022. Maybe I should get mushrooms, do they need strong
lighting. I have heard that they do not, but I also heard that about
the BTA so who knows.
One of the guys at my LFS is breaking down his 55g reef so he is
going to be storing all his LR in my tank untill he has a place to set
his up again. I think this will work out well for both of us. He was a
ton of stuff growing on his rock(mushrooms polyps etc.) and all of
my rocks,accept for two, were once alive, but dead when they were
given to me. (it's a long story, but basically i got >80lbs of rock for
free, though it was dead). So now I am trying to re-colonize all of my
rock. Since I have added the two living pieces i have noticed things
growing on the "dead" ones. Anyway I think the addition of all his
rock will do wonders for my tank. I am very excited. More free rock,
though I will have to give it back eventually (if he can find me Ha ha!)
If you haven't gathered yet I am but a poor college grad. getting
ready to go back to school. I take what I can get. Maybe I can get
him to give me his lights too.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 10:01am

I would push for the lights, at least while you have his rock, the corals will diffenately do better under the proper lighting.  Push that point, ater all he doesn't want dead live rock back right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 10:43am

mushrooms like lower light.  In fact in my tank I have to keep finding shadowed spots to put them in.  If you can get your live rock going good that should help immensly.  That might have had something to do with your anemone...  Everyone I can think of that has an anemone also has a lot of live rock in their tank--usually close to a lb/gal.  Just a thought there.  And like kull says, try and get the guy to let you use/have/store/purchase(?) his lights.  Then maybe by the time he wants it back you can put new lights on and have tons of stuff growing in your tank.

I must admit I loved it when I found this site, tons of help here.  I'm just sad that I can't make it to all the meetings to get to know everyone better.

And on a side note, I think it's cool that we get people not from utah who find this site extremley helpful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 11:19am
I wish I could go to your meetings, sounds like fun. A bit too far to
drive however.

Yah, I am going to have to see what kind of lighting set up he has, if
they're MH I don't think I can take them, there just not enough room
in the hood for them and I can't take the hood off and hang the
lights b/c I have a parot who would love to take a bath in the
tank...this would not be good. So i am hoping he has new VHOs
since they would be the right size (55g are typically 36" aren't they?).
Anyway, we'll see.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic