Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From the Sea frustration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From the Sea frustration
    Posted: November 24 2003 at 12:47pm

I have heard that there are lots of great deals at "From the Sea" and decided to brave the icy roads(we live in Orem) on Saturday to check it out.  We called, and the message said they were open till 6 - we arrived at 5 and they were already closed  - their sign even said they are open on Saturdays till 6.  What a bummer!

(Luckily The Aquarium was still open)

crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 2:08pm
I think he makes his own hours depending on how busy it is.  Wouldn't that be the life.  Looks like the Aquarium was the winner in that ordeal.
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 2:18pm

I am with kini.  He and I asctually drove up to SLC on a sepperate occasion only to find another marine fish store closed for teh day as well.  It is very frustrating.  I am all for supporting local business, but good grief, is anyone ever open?

This message not directed at Aquatica, or fish4u.  who have always been open during there posted hours.

ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 2:42pm
From the Sea even closes when the guy wants to go out to lunch or he had a note posted saying he was sick so the place was closed, however his prices are great on the relatively small selection of livestock he has so I just figure the inconvenience is the price you have to pay to save money.  If his operating costs increased I'm sure his prices would also.  Completely different story if you don't live close because the guy never answers his phone either so you can't find out if he'll be there.  I was just there and his peppermint shrimp are 3.99, he also has some yellow head jawfish for 9.99 which is less than half of what other LFS sells for.
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 5:01pm

Just curious...  What is the quality of his livestock?  Does his stuff live?

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 5:50pm
I haven't had a problem with anything I've bought from him.  I've bought corals, fish and starfish.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 6:13pm
I have had good luck with the livestock I have bought there and got some great deals. However I agree that it is very frustrating that he rarely answers the phone and makes his own hours. I putup with it because of the prices and because Rick is a cool guy.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 8:19pm
I've been there when the phone rings.  He just looks at the caller ID or something and puts it back down without answering.   His livestock has been great.  Excellent survival rate.  I haven't lost any coral or fish from there but have lost a couple of coral banded shrimp and an arrow crab but I do have others of those that are doing well.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 8:21pm

I agree that Rick is a great guy.  And I for one am very impressed with the quality of his livestock.  I find it to be a great place.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 9:53pm
To kinda let all og you in on something pretty much every fish store in this valley buys from only a hand full of wholesalers so where one store buys fish is pretty much where they all buy from. Rick is a great guy take some time to get to know him your wallet will thank you......
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 10:13pm
The only frustration I have had with Rick is talking my ear off !

Without kidding, Rick is great and has great stuff. He is in this hobby/store for more then only money, and it shows.

I do think that he gets some of his lifestock through his brother (?) in Florida.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 8:46pm
Its not his Brother but its a great Source .....
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

utahtaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 11:35pm
From what I see Rick runs that shop completely by himself. But last time I was there it looked like he was training someone so maybe that will change. Yea he may not answer the phone cause he's out on a smoke break, or he's taking a leak, or not to mention helping one of us catch a fish or giving us the personal attention we demand from him which I like. All things considered I think it's a great shop.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 8:58am
Anyone know how he keeps his prices so low and still can stay open?  Or are the prices at the other local shops just that inflated?
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 9:19am
Overhead... You have to consider that his shop is small which will cut down on the lease and utilities. Also, he saves at least 12 bucks an hour by not having employees. All of this drastically affects his overhead. I am sure Jake can testify. Sometimes it is well worth the "inconvenience".
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 9:48am

Are you sure he's not a fence for "found" goods .

I just don't get it.  He gets a couple shipments per week, but I honestly think I could walk into his store with $300 and buy every living thing there! (maybe a little exageration)  He must do better on his drygoods...

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 10:33am

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Anyone know how he keeps his prices so low and still can stay open?  Or are the prices at the other local shops just that inflated?

I admit Rick has good prices but they don't seem rediculously low to me.  Some items there are still overpriced in my mind.  Some things are priced fairly, and everything is very healthy, which is why I shop there. I guess I subscribe to your second question..... prices everywhere are just inflated.

Adam 

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Rodney Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 12:01pm
I like From the Sea. I just bought a pump from him and it did not work. When I went in to exchange it he did not have another of the same size so he traded up to the next size at no cost. That was great customer service! I like his low prices, but the hours are a hassle. Luckily I don't live to far away. He did have a new guy working for him when I went in.
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 12:14pm
He gave me a free peppermint shrimp when I was buying stuff.
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 1:04pm

Adam, I dissagree that other stores are overpriced.  Stores price items where they need to be.  Different stores need to have different profit.  Rick just doesn't have any overhead.  He has a small place, little or no insurance & employees.  I know what Rick's mark-up is and it is smaller than other shops.  But he has smaller bills, too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic