Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lion Fish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by etharanz etharanz wrote:

i just bought a dwarf lion fish, got a great deal $0.03

wondering if its possible to culture lions to adapt to freshwater... any advise is greatly appreciated :)

No, not possible.  Where did you get a dwarf lion $.03..... hard to believe to say the least.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 9:48am
I feed my tank tigershrimp form albertsons. If you put the shrimp in HOT water for a few, peel the skin, then you can almost smell the shrimp. It's amazing that the fish LOVE the smell of JUST BARELY cooked shrimp. I poor the water the shrimp are soaking in into the tank. Wait a few seconds then put in small chunks of the shrimp. Let it float around. They will find it.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 9:54am

Everyone, correct me if I'm wrong.  But in when I teach nutrition, I teach that cooking takes away vitamins and minerals and denatures (starts the breakdown) of the food.  Isn't it better for the tank to get raw fish instead of partially cooked?

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 10:00am
yea but By partially I mean JUST enough to make it start to smell. then when they get used to eating it (nummy) then I just throw it in raw.. Stil skinless
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 10:08am

I don't even BOIL the shrimp... Just soak them in as hot of water that your tap will give. Then after about 30-60 seconds you can put the 3-6 ounces of water in the tank... NOT directly on a fish or coral though

For mark...I edit

Edited by Skyetone

Magna
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 10:13am
That makes sense to me.

EDIT > Skye   

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 11:37am
I've never had anyone in my tank turn down fresh, raw, thawed in tankwater shrimp.  But I doubt hot water does anything bad to the shrimp... when you buy krill at the LFS it's been cooked.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 5:32pm

im not from utah by the way, just found your forum to be of my interest also.

im from the philippines and reef tanks are rare here so they sell lions very cheap. i bought it for 15bucks phil currency and $1=55 you can do the math.

ive seen before salt water fish culltured to adapt to freshwater but they were small specimens so i was just curious if it was also possible for lions.

thanks for the reply adam, its greatly appreciated...

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 7:17pm

etharanz,

Well I can speak for everyone here when I say I am totally jealous of you.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic