Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lion Fish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lion Fish
    Posted: November 14 2003 at 10:23am

Anyone have any experience with Lion Fish?

I just purchased a Zebra Lion fish and am pretty happy with it.  I just want to make sure that I am providing for all of its needs.

Things that I am looking for answers to are:

What kind of fish can I have with it.  Are corals ok, Worms, shrimp. crabs, what will he leave alone.  All the stuf fI have read on it say that it reef safe with caution.  Meaning it may or may not eat stuff. 

Thanks in advance.

I'll put some pics up of the new fish when I get a chance in the next few days.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 10:47pm

LBJS has a Volitan (spelling?) Lion and has had no problems with it other than this one:  She put her feather duster in the tank and withing just a few minutes the Lion tried to take the feathers off the worm.  The duster is now back in her smaller tank.

As for fish, keep anything that won't fit in it's mouth.  Lions eat their food whole and don't often nip at things so if it won't fit in it's mouth it is usually safe.  Also just about any kind of shrimp is "expensive dinner."

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 11:40pm
Usually a Lion Fish will not bother corals, but will eat any small snails, crabs, fish, etc.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2003 at 9:48pm
IMO they are fantastic in a reef. They become the center of attention but as said above they ambush and eat any moving animal that they can get into their huge orifice!
Volitan Lionfish can grow to a foot long in a couple years in a decent sized aquarium! But they are so easy to catch, it's silly to worry until you are ready to remove them. Net ready - food dropped - caught

Dwarf lions are great too, but not all are as pretty as the Red Volitan. I had a beautiful Dwarf Lionfish for years. I fed it schools of saltwater Mollies that grow wild at Sea Base northwest of Grantsville, UT The mollies are easy to keep right in the tank so the lion eats when it's hungry. As far as I could tell, there are no worries about liver problems as occur when feeding it freshwater fish.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2003 at 5:20am
Be careful! It really hurts to get stung! This guy I know had to be on
antibiotics for a month and it hurt so bad he was begging the doc to
amputate!
bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 3:44am

I agree with Mark......they are great attractions...just beware that there mouths are like a big mouth bass, they can swallow a good bit....they tend to inhale prey's mouth first...and I have on many occasions had my dwarf swimming around for hours with dinner hanging half way out.....   Also....avoid any freshwater feeders...they don't contain enough fatty acids, and will over a meduim period of time weaken it's immune system.....Silverside are good......but I will have to try and locate some of these saltwater mollies for my future predator reef tank.

good luck....and if you do get stung......use chew tabaco or vinager to extract the venom....

Just stay away from banded cat sharks....the juvies love fingers(and the adults)....raised one from a pup till it was too big for the tank and it didn't care what size the fish were...it ate them all

them all!

Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3
bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 3:46am
oh and also.....remember that lions usually hang in the rocks...and feed on what ever swims in the path...they are generally very lazy predators
Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 9:24am

Ok My new lion is now happy in his new home.  I am trying to ween him off of live food.  I would rather he ate the frozen stuff (wouldn't we all!).  Are there some articles I could that would help me in this regard, or any particlular thing any of you have tried that works with moderate to high levels of succes?

Thanks in advance.

crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 9:48am

Try feeding a couple live ghost shrimp and frozen krill at the same time for a little while.  Then, hopefully, the lion will not know the difference.  Or you can get a clear acrylic feeding stick and wave krill or silversides around in front of him. 
Good Luck!!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 11:07am
It has been my experience that, if there are no smaller fish or inverts in the tank, that it can eat, as soon as it gets hungry enough it will learn to take whatever floats by!
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 5:47pm

Would a dwarf lion eat brine shrimp?  If so, are there plans on this site for a DIY shrimp hatchery?  I looked, but ... (As my wife always tells me, "You didn't look very good did you?")

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 7:34pm
Rstruhs, to answer your question, yes a Dwarf Lionfish will eat BS but not newly hatched BS, because they are too small. It takes a lot of food to raise BS to adult size and it would take a heck of a lot of baby BS to feed even a baby lionfish.
Now if this isn't a lot of BS...

To answer your second question, there are no plans for a hatchery on this site but I believe there are links to them on the www that others have found and posted here previously.

What do you have in mind for a lionfish?

Edited by Mark Peterson
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 9:56pm

Mark,

I already have a fuzzy dwarf I still trying to get to eat frozen food consistently.  And I was thinking of a BS hatchery for my main tank.  So, I said to myself "Self, what if the lion and trigger would eat baby BS?"  I am still thinking of putting together some sort of BS hatchery and sharing the BS with my son for his cichlids.  I don't really want to raise BS just hatch & feed, if possible.  I am currently looking for a larger tank for my lion and trigger.

I had a lion a few years ago, he lived with us for about 3 years.  One of my clowns harassed himAngry (I think), got stung & died the next dayConfused, then I found the lion dead the following day.Cry

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 6:48am
I think you could make a hatchery out of a Diet Pepsi bottle! Turn it
upside down, with the lid on. Cut off the top and add a piece of
airline tubing. Don't put in a air stone. The tubing would have to sit
in the lid, 'cause the eggs want to be in the bottom. You could make
a stand out of wood or acrylic or something. I hatch ours in
phytoplanton and selcon so they are way nutritious. If you started a
batch every other day or so, you could have continuous live food in
about 12 days! They grow fast, if they have food.

Rob and I have been growing live food for a while now. I don't raise
the BS to adults just because our fish eat frozen,though. I have
raised them accidentally when an egg has gotten in the phytoplanton
bottles!You are welcome to come see our setup! (Then you could
look at our wiring!)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 8:27am
Great Salt Lake Brine Shrimp are soooo much better than store bought!!! If you can wait till next summer, come with us to collect GSL BS and see your fish go absolutely crazy for the nutritional content of our own native BS!
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 10:50pm

Mark,

That is defintely a trip worth taking.  I fed my fish GSL BS last year.  I went out about every week after work.  I just went to the Marina and scooped up the little guys by the boats.  I also got scared by the big ugly spiders!  I hate spiders!Angry

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 7:27am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Great Salt Lake Brine Shrimp are soooo much better than store bought!!!

Are you sure about that?  I want to disagree on this.  I don't think I would recommend people go out and collect brine shrimp. And better than store bought, I can't think of any reason why.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 8:01am
Wouldn't there be some concern getting any GSL water in a tank? I don't know how collecting is done, so maybe it isn't a concern.

Edited by rfoote
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 9:42am
Yes, Adam I'm sure.
Ryan, I rinse the Brine Shrimp in tap water three times then freeze them in enough freezer bags to last a year. A few drops of GSL water is transferred to the aquarium when I take the left overs, alive and dead, and place them directly in the aquarium. The fish go crazy for the fresh BS. Though a small amount of GSL water would pose no problem. I once used it for a water change but only once because coral didn't seem to like it for a few weeks!

For some reason there is a residual belief of a big threat of pollution in the GSL. I don't know what the actual figures are but I'm sure they are much better than 40 years ago when my friends and I did a school report on pollution of the waterways feeding the GSL. I saw the appalling condition of those waterways at a point in history when the EPA was just forming. More than 10 years ago I worked at a company that would have been one of those polluters but because of the EPA that company only discharges fairly clean water. More recently I was noticing how extremely pollution and garbage free the waterways are now (they will always be muddy).

Of course there is former pollution to be considered, but over the many years, it appears to me that whatever it's effects, life is flourishing in spite of it. In fact, natural processes of life are the decomposers of most pollutants!

I will change my tune if persuaded that I have judged this incorrectly. My personal viewpoint is that pollution is no longer any problem and my personal experience is that GSL Brine shrimp have more natural nutritional value than commercially prepared Brine Shrimp, with no deliterious effects on our aquariums.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 3:05pm

i just bought a dwarf lion fish, got a great deal $0.03

wondering if its possible to culture lions to adapt to freshwater... any advise is greatly appreciated :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic