Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT purple anemone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 2:17pm
Last night Cody and I talked. He added about 30 snails and 50 hermits some time ago, and ten snails recently. I recommended a lot more snails and a few more hermits. Here are the numbers I recommended:
30 Astrea snails
30 Mexican/Margarita snails
20 Cerith snails
25 Hermit Crabs

Another herbivorous fish or two would also be a very good thing.

After thinking about it overnight, I also suggest that he reduce the photoperiod of the MH before an algae bloom takes him by surprise. He had 4 - 55 watt PC and added the 2 - 250 W MH. This is such a dramatic increase in light energy over the 90 gal that it will certainly result in an algae bloom unless sufficient action is taken to prevent it.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 11:43am
Cody,

Awesome anemone! Where did you get it? I hope that is not the one I saw at From the sea that I almost bought, or I will kick myself in the rear. Have you decided on what anemone fish you will get for it?

Dave
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 12:52pm
At the meeting Cody told me that the fastest algal growth happens in this area where the Anemone landed because that is where the sun hits the tank for part of the day. Snails, snails, snails.

He's not sure about adding another Tang because his current Tang is a Purple. (FYI - Purple is a nice color but because of agression is typically the last Tang added.) A larger Yellow Tang, if properly selected for agression, could hold up it's own. There are also other algae eating fish that would work. See the June 2001 Sea Star for ideas.

My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 10:10pm

I got my anemone from fish 4 u, unfortunately it has gone deep behind my reef where I can't see it .  I my not sure its still alive even, I have some more great shots of it before it went behind the rocks with my clownfish that I'll post later though .  I saw that one at From the Sea and wish I had bought it,  I was there while the guy was walking out the door who bought it. 

UPDATE:

New Snails

25 Mexican Turbos, 40 Margaritas, and 20 Ceriths, hopefully this is enough to take on all of my algae!  I'll post picks of the tank later too.

I have been look all over for a large yellow tang and have not seen one at quite a few lfs.  I did know that the PT was aggresive, and used to have a big scopas tang in before the PT that died from my Ich plague, but thats another story.  Along with the PT I also have a blue hippo tang that I have had since it was the size of a quarter and is of fairly decent size now.

-Cody

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 8:25pm

continued in new topic called pictures, I didn't post the picture before the anemone went behind the rocks, because I can't remember where I put it, but I did post some pictures that I took today.

-Cody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic