Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blundell Buttons spreading in the club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blundell Buttons spreading in the club?
    Posted: March 09 2006 at 11:55am

Hi, I've always been curious about these, I saw talk about them a while back on the forum that these were being spread around the club, I havent actually seen one in real life just the pictures on the forum and was wondering if people were still spreading them or if anyone woould let me buy one or two from them to add to my reef, is there anyone with a fraggable colony?

-Bryce

29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 12:41pm
If you remind me before the meeting I have an extra head I will bring you. Just make sure and remind me.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 1:38pm
Awesome! I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll definately remind you.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:39pm
DId you see it in my tank when you came over? I have a colony of 3 polyps
but they are very slow growers so it's hard to find them, even in the club.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 11:37pm
I must've missed them, I think it may of been that I had no idea what they were till recently when people were talking about them on the forum. In my experience so far I've had good luck with slow growing buttons by carefully target feeding them and adgitating the mouth to get them to close over the food when it's light food, they usually always consume the food, I've noticed massive growth acceleration since I've started doing that with the polyps in my tank I have now, I feed them an assortment of mixed foods I prepare for them, I'm curious to see how this method will work with Blundell Buttons.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:32am

I'd like to cut one of mine off to give to a friend.  Can I just cut it at the base and put it in a cup with rocks to see if it will attach?  Will a new button grow where I cut the top off?

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:58am
from my experience with buttons thats usually been the case when I cut a polyp off a colony, the base left on the colony forms a new head and the cut polyp has no problems, I havent lost one yet by doing that.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 3:46am
Make sure to use caution when working with any palythoas. A few club memebers have gotten extreamly sick from there toxin.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:04pm
I ususally pull the whole colony out into a seperate container of water, cut off the heads I want then attatch them to rocks and place them and the original colony back in the tank then dump the container's water down the drain, by then it's an extremely smelly toxic soup
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 2:48pm
I can't pull mine out to cut them.  They are attached to a large rock at the bottom of my tank.  If I cut one poly off under the water, will it cause problems in the tank? 
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:22pm

They usually don't cause problems in the tank, but I guess they could if you cut masses of them.

The Paly toxin in poisonous though and if you get it in a cut or in your mouth it could make you VERY sick.  It may also be possible for it to enter through your skin, (I don't know this for sure, but there's no reason not to be cautious.)

For what it's worth I've tried killing my Protopalythoas by cutting them off the rock and never been successful.  They keep growning back.  Lets hope the Blundell buttons are as hard to kill as these.  No one will ever lose them.

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:23pm
I know people say you shouldn't but i've done that before and never had a problem, before I started doing it by taking the colony out of the tank I used to just reach into the tank with sissors and cut heads off the colony, I never had anything bad happen as a result so I'm sure you could do it too without problems.
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:24pm
For the newbies in the group, what is the full name of the paly that can make a person sick? 
Connie
Tooele
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:13pm
Palythoa toxica and Palythoa tuberculosa, those are the two most toxic groups of paly's.

Edited by aquablue
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Amie Amie wrote:

I'd like to cut one of mine off to give to a friend.  Can I just cut it at the base and put it in a cup with rocks to see if it will attach?  Will a new button grow where I cut the top off?

Cut BB's actually stay stuck with Gel Superglue / Zapgel.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 1:00am

Originally posted by aquablue aquablue wrote:

Palythoa toxica and Palythoa tuberculosa, those are the two most toxic groups of paly's.

What about them makes you sick?  Touching them? 

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 3:15am
doing anything to get the toxin outside of them like pissing them off enough or really pissing them off by cutting them then letting it get into a cut on your hand, pretty much if you've got a cut on your hand while your working with them or staying in contact with it long enough to absorb into your skin, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your cutting a large ammount of paly's at a time or cutting a palythoa tuberculosa colony (i've seen a few of those in some member's tanks). I've also heard of people getting splashed in the eyes and having to deal with weeks of pain and needing special eye drops.

Edited by aquablue
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 11:13am
good to know. thanks.
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 11:38am

I love how they look but the toxicity issue is scary, but whats really scary as I have a colony of wild paly's that look almost identical to this.

[Palythoa toxica]

12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 5:21pm

I wouldn't worry too much about toxicity.  I have read a pretty scary story about their toxicity, but just wash your hands, try not to get it in your eyes and mouth, and you should be fine.

Brandon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic