I picked up a used 180 gallon tank!

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Specialized Discussion
Forum Name: DIY
Forum Description: Do it Yourself
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34626
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 12:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I picked up a used 180 gallon tank!
Posted By: MadReefer
Subject: I picked up a used 180 gallon tank!
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 1:11am

I'm so excited to get this running but I'm trying to take it slow and do it right. So far I have removed the old silicone and the overflows. I'm still working on cleaning off the gunk from the overflows and plan on reusing these.

Tomorrow I will start with a thorough cleaning of the remaining silicone. Then I can prep the tank and apply fresh silicone.
I'm going to wait to add the overflows until I can do the plumbing and that will have to wait until I build the stand and figure out what I'm doing for a sump/fuge. Hopefully within a week I'll have all that figured out.

Replies:
Posted By: sanddune600
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 1:27am
cool sounds fun I wish I was doing a build after seeing all the recent build theads

-------------
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Posted By: Aquaristnewbie
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 10:48pm
Awesome good luck!

-------------
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 11:17pm
It's amazing how many hours it takes to clean the old silicone off when it just takes a few minutes to apply new. I hope it holds.

Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 2:43pm
I built the stand. My past stands have been over built and I hope that this one is strong enough because I made it much lighter this time. Do you think it will be strong enough?

I also made a run to get rock and sand so I'm ready to work on the plumbing and water test. Hopefully I'll be to that point within a week.

Posted By: bfessler
Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 4:30pm
I'd really like to try a tank that size but I am in the middle of 2 other projects right now and my wife would shoot me if I even think about another one before her basement gets finished.LOL

Are you going to build a frame around the top of the stand for the tank to sit on or will it just sit on the stand as is? It should be OK as long as the edges of the tank sit squarely on top of the existing frame but it doesn't give you much wiggle room. If it were me I would either place a piece of plywood over the top of the stand or build a frame out of 2x4's or 6's just for piece of mind.

Good luck witht the project. I think building a tank is more fun than looking at the finished product.

-------------
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:13pm
Well, I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV. I do hope it is strong enough but I wouldn't trust it. I would be afraid that with any side loading it would colapse to the side or that the tank will drop through the center.

I do hope someone knowledgeable tells me I am wrong though.

Mike

-------------

Posted By: BHYDE
Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:21pm
I agree with Mike.  I wouldn't risk it in my house.

Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:52pm
I thought the same thing about a stand I saw a at petsmart. But I don't think they could sell something that was going to fail. I used about the same design. It is also like the stands they sell at LFS although they are painted black. Anyone else have an opinion? I could always add to it even though it feels solid enough. I think I could stand on any part that will support the tank and jump up and down without breaking it.

Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 7:29pm
A 180 gallon tank with water, sand and rock could weigh up to 2000 lbs. You might want to try standing on it with a couple buddies. I know what you mean about some of the cheaply made stands though.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 7:37pm
Jumping actually creates a lot of force in a small area compaired to something spread out sitting there, and that is why I thought of that. But I'm no engineer so I don't know. I guess I could ask my brother, he is a civil engineer.

Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:18pm
My brother says he couldn't know without running the numbers but that it looks a little light. So I don't know what I'm going to do. I wish Dion would give me his opinion.

Posted By: Nick801
Date Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:30pm
I bet it would be ok, sept if it where me I would add a lip on the bottom inside and a lip to the top to make it more secure/secure looking =) as of now it reminds me of one of those art statues that makes you wonder how they balance with out falling over =)

-------------
http://www.reefinsanity.com" rel="nofollow - www.ReefInsanity.com
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Date Posted: August 19 2009 at 11:54am
I've decided to add one more layer of strength for peace of mind. Thanks for all your input.

Posted By: GoneBallistic
Date Posted: August 21 2009 at 7:31pm
those look like 1x4s on the left side,  those are too light for the weight you are going to put on it.  if they bow at all, you'll torque the stand and down she goes.

needs more support.

can't wait to see how it goes together

Date Posted: August 21 2009 at 10:22pm
I've added more 1x4s to the 1x12s, 1x6s, and 1x4s that were already there. Crappy pic with the cell phone is all I could get at the moment.

Date Posted: August 22 2009 at 12:00am
Yeah Id trust that

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: August 22 2009 at 1:41am
I didn't see this till now. I'm pretty sure I gave my opinion through a pm .......first of the week/end of last. Ill double check.  Any way It looks like what it is. With good structural bracing it could be fine. But I'm a chicken and refuse to build anything that size with out a framed support inside. Overkill? probably. But you've never heard of one of our stands collapsing. Unfortunately it also increases the cost of the stands. More lumber and more labor. Its a hard balance.

Couple of questions. Did you glue ALL of the seams/joints together? And if you did, Did you keep the stand square while building it. Ive actually seen stands that are leaning once finished. Guaranteed leakers. If you did not glue it all then please DO NOT put a tank on it. IT would be a ticking time bomb.

Remember its just my opinion.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: August 22 2009 at 2:04am
I used a lot of glue in the first build. When I added the outer support today I used liquid nails. I was thinking of adding screws in a few choice spots just to make sure. It is pretty square but not perfect. Corner to corner the top is only off 1/8 inch. This wood has the rustic look and easy to work with without a full shop and is solid wood. My wife likes the look also. So it has some good points. But if I was to start over, I would build it differently. I always have a hard time working with wood in half assed woodshops after working for a few years in a full shop. Lack of tools is a b**ch. 180 gallons of water would be a lot to have all over the floor so I hope it holds.

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: August 22 2009 at 10:41am
It sounds solid. Make SURE when you set it up that you shim that 1/8 out of it. If its not perfect you run a great chance of popping a seam or worse having a pane of glass failing due to the stress.

Full shops are awesome. But awful expensive to set upWink

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: August 26 2009 at 12:12pm
I have the tank on the stand and it only took a few shims in the front to make it pretty much level. When it is filling with water I might have to adjust with more shims. Now that it is on the stand I can work on finishing the overflow and plumbing and should be able to water test by the end of the weekend.

I left the lip of the lid on the rubbermaid I used some rope to help support the water.

Posted By: Roy
Date Posted: August 26 2009 at 9:15pm
One consideration is to paint everything with Kills primer to waterproof it. It also makes it look much cleaner

-------------
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Date Posted: August 26 2009 at 9:26pm
I used a thick coat of outdoor oil-based polyurethane. My wife asked for the natural wood finish. I will add doors later.

Date Posted: August 26 2009 at 11:36pm
looks like a great start =) can't wait to see livestock in there

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: August 27 2009 at 2:07am
I'm not super happy with the overflows. I learned a lot and would do things a little differently if doing it over. But I think it will work anyway. Thanks Burt for the inspiration and the help cutting the comb.

Posted By: bfessler
Date Posted: August 27 2009 at 3:27am

Hay Jesse,

Glad to see you got he overflows in. They look like they should work fine. Every time I do a project I think of ways it could have been better but that just gives me an excuse to try the new idea on my next project. You'll really  like the way the Coast to Coast skims the surface. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

-------------
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Posted By: Corey Price
Date Posted: August 27 2009 at 8:43am
By the way, for what it's worth- I agree with what Dion said on the stand.

<------- Professional nerd/engineer.

Date Posted: August 28 2009 at 4:10pm
I completed all the plumbing that requires gluing last night. I have a couple holes in the middle bottom of the tank that I setup as a closed loop for the UV. I have a few more pieces to setup including the dursos. I'll water test today when I get off work. If all goes well I'll start mixing in salt and utah rock and sand. I'll add a few pieces of fresh live rock and start moving some of my stuff starting with algae sometime next week.

Posted By: TriggerHappy
Date Posted: August 28 2009 at 5:49pm
Looking good, congratulations on your supersized tank!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: August 29 2009 at 11:59am
It's full of water and everything is looking good. It is just a tiny bit off level front to back, leaning tiny bit back. And just a hair off side to side. Here is a pic of the level front to back and one of some of the plumbing.

Posted By: Aquaristnewbie
Date Posted: August 29 2009 at 12:08pm
congrats!  Start filling that thing up.  I need to level my tank out it is pretty bad.  But it is full of water so I am scared to mess with it.  I do not know if you could come any closer to level than that.  With all of that weight it goes a bit where it wants to.  Good luck with everything.  If you want some frags of your old stuff to help build back up let me know and I would be more than happy to do that for you.

-------------
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Date Posted: August 30 2009 at 1:09pm

I added sand and rock. This caused the water level in the sump to rise above the handles. I thought I had blocked the holes in the handles with silicone but one of them failed. A few gallons of water leaked out. So i've filled in the handle with much more silicone incase I ever go over that point again.

Posted By: downhill_biker
Date Posted: August 30 2009 at 1:13pm
Wow, looks awesome. Cant tell from the pic, but did you silicone with black or clear silicone? The stand looks awesome! Cant wait to come over and check it out when its up and running.

-------------
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Date Posted: August 30 2009 at 1:39pm
Clear silicone on all. I didn't see black at Home Depot.

Date Posted: August 30 2009 at 1:41pm
This is what it looks like now.

Date Posted: August 30 2009 at 2:29pm
cool. sand, water, skimmer, you are ready for cycling and then stocking up!

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2009 at 12:37pm
It's cleared up.
So this is what is in there. I used tap water because it was easy to run a hose from my utility room. I added a few caps of Prime. I slowly dumped a full bucket of Oceanic salt in the water. Then I started with some Utah rock and added Utah sand all around it. It turned out to be deeper sand than I expected. Yesterday I added a few tiny pieces of LR just to get some life in there.
I ordered a few parts online and some rock, when it shows up I'll be able to set it up more like it will run long term and start moving more life into it. Some equipment that I will use on this new tank is still supporting my other tanks for now. First to move from other systems will be chaeto for the sump and I'll connect my mangrove bucket pretty soon.

Date Posted: September 01 2009 at 3:31pm
I've added 250ml of live sand from my other tank. It smelled like sulfur.

Posted By: Roy
Date Posted: September 01 2009 at 10:46pm
looking good keep us posted with future additions/ pics

-------------
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Posted By: Nano_Reefer
Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:01am
Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

Hay Jesse,

Glad to see you got he overflows in. They look like they should work fine. Every time I do a project I think of ways it could have been better but that just gives me an excuse to try the new idea on my next project. You'll really  like the way the Coast to Coast skims the surface. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

That is an awesome Idea on the coast to coast. I built a coast to coast in my ninty, but it is drilled at the top, and it works awesome. I will be putting a 125 up down the road, it has similar overflows that this 180 has, and I believe I will be hijacking this idea for it.

Date Posted: September 02 2009 at 11:47pm

I've made a few additions.

Here is a better picture of the inside of the overflow. 
I added some macroalgae and a fuge light.
Not my ideal fuge but it is what I have to work with.
I think the reflections on this picture of the fuge are neat.
I used parts of the Rubbermaid lid to catch some water as it tries to splash out.
It's hard to be patient. 45lbs of new live rock was added.

Date Posted: September 09 2009 at 3:20am
This is what it looks like now.
Since the last post: I have added my mangrove bucket and fresh water top off. I moved algae, LR, and LS from my existing tank's sump. A temporary pump is running until I can get another. The fuge has been all moved around; I still want to do more. Light has been added. Daily tests show the cycle starting. Ammonia is high at 1.5+, nitrites have just started creeping up at .5 and nitrate is next to zero. There was a slight dip in pH down to 8.1, but now back up. I keep the light on 24hours at this point; I hope the algae will gobble some junk up. Ammonia might be past topping off.

Date Posted: September 09 2009 at 7:04am
It looks like things are  progressing well.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: September 16 2009 at 3:05am

I added some CUC.

Ammonia has been at zero. Nitrites seem to be coming down finally ~.5ppm. Nitrate is about 5ppm. I don't know what I was thinking with this live rock; I added much more dead junk to my tank than I thought I was. Cheap rock, so I should have known. At least it is almost passed and hopefully a lot of good stuff grows out of the rock.
I think I'll clean it up a bit and then add my established stuff this weekend. I'm hoping it will stabilize quickly this way. Any thoughts?
Here is a picture.

Date Posted: September 16 2009 at 8:12am
Looks good. Glad you got the cycle almost over with, and now it is only good bacterial growth from here. Do you plan to add more rock? What is causing the "splashing" in the sump?

-------------

Date Posted: September 16 2009 at 1:09pm
I still have a bunch of rock to move from my established systems. I just wanted the die off from this new rock to be on its way out before I move everything.
The drain to the sump causes some splashing and bubbles. Right now I have under control and I don't mind the sound. It might be good for the water. It reminds me of what I was thinking two years ago when I started this hobby. First I wanted a fountain for the water sounds and I thought about adding some fish. I really wanted a pond but I don't own. I ended up with a small freshwater tank. A month later I had my first saltwater tank.

Date Posted: September 19 2009 at 2:10am
Stumbling right along...
I might have over thought the benefit of the mangroves and refugium; specifically, their benefit to help the rock cycle with less loss. To the point, now I realize that there was too little flow in the sump and I added too much algae. The center of my chaeto was dying and rotting. I cleaned it up last night.
Hind sight...
I should not have added so much chaeto to the sump or added a pump to the sump for flow. Also I should have cycled the rock for at least a day in another container and dump out all the water. Then add it to the tank. After a week change 50% of the water, then a week later be at this point to now start adding stuff and connect the sump. Or something to that effect. I tried to rush and if anything, it slowed me down over the last week. Also, I thought the volume would make up for it and it didn't as much as I thought it would have.
Moving forward...
Everything still looks good and mostly where I would expect it. I like the sump more and more, and all because of last night's changes. The tank faired better being disconnected from the sump for one day as there is little nitrite, next to zero; also fewer nitrates. I have everything connected and circulating now and I'm still planning on moving half my stuff tomorrow and the other half on Sunday. Things could still change based on tomorrow's tests and evaluation. I think that all the equipment and live rock needs to be together, this should support the livestock. Smile

Date Posted: September 19 2009 at 10:41pm
I discovered something while moving some livestock today.
Smile
The anemone seems to like the 180.

Date Posted: September 19 2009 at 10:45pm
sweet =)

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: September 21 2009 at 1:02am
Most everything is moved in. All the fish are moved: 2 pair of O. clowns, a pair(?) of bicolor blennies, 4 chromis and a tiny blue tang. I'm working on coral placement and still have a few more to move in. I also have two derasa clams and a rose bubble-tip anemone.
The fuge.
The mangroves love the sunshine.

Date Posted: September 21 2009 at 11:38am
Nice. I love how you have the mangroves under natural sunlight. They will thrive under that lighting. What are your official plans for the lighting over the display?

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2009 at 12:51pm
I want to get a 3x250MH fixture with actinic t5s, but it looks like I'll be running what I have for a while; I've spent too much already. Plus I don't know the direction the tank will be going. My wife and I mainly want the fish to be happy. I've learned a lot about reef tanks in the last two years and one thing that sticks out is without good quarantine, it's a gamble every time corals are added. I already have bubble algae and possibly other pests. I'm going to try to rid my system of bubble algae and work on keeping the water chemistry perfect. When I buy a house in a year or few I'll be looking to setup a fish room where I can setup quarantine systems and do everything right. Until then I'm going to avoid coral buying and selling.

Date Posted: September 21 2009 at 1:18pm
Well if you focus is going to be the fish over the next few years I would leave it how it is. I do know that Haun has a 3x250w fixture for sale, cheap...but I understand not having money. I have spent much more than I can afford on my system. Congrats on the clownfish.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2009 at 6:28pm
Fish4U comes through again with some very healthy fish for a great price. We added a sailfin and blue eye tang, and a firefish.

Date Posted: September 30 2009 at 1:32pm
I too got a blue eye kole tang from Fish 4 U. They are actually very pretty close up, even if they just look brown from a distance.

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2009 at 12:37am

Just a few pics.

Date Posted: October 06 2009 at 1:41am
I thought a 180 would be big enough to house two pairs of ocellaris clowns, I was wrong. The male clown of the mated pair was chasing the biggest of the other pair around and biting it, not playful at all, pieces of fins are missing. I removed the picked on clown and now the male is hanging out with the smallest clown instead of his mate. Could this male be hoping to leave the female and pair up with the smaller clown to become female itself?

Date Posted: October 06 2009 at 1:33pm
Sorry I missed this post.  Nice pictures though, it looks like the tank is really doing well!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: October 06 2009 at 1:37pm
Thanks Bill. The birdsnest I got from you has done really well.

Date Posted: October 06 2009 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by MadReefer MadReefer wrote:

I thought a 180 would be big enough to house two pairs of ocellaris clowns, I was wrong. The male clown of the mated pair was chasing the biggest of the other pair around and biting it, not playful at all, pieces of fins are missing. I removed the picked on clown and now the male is hanging out with the smallest clown instead of his mate. Could this male be hoping to leave the female and pair up with the smaller clown to become female itself?

I've been debating adding two more to my 210 for a while now.... but everything I've been reading dosen't look to good, although I have seen many tanks with more than just two clowns =) I might just trade my orange pair out for a black pair...

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: October 06 2009 at 2:36pm

Thanks Bill. The birdsnest I got from you has done really well.

Great Jesse, and welcome back!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 3:44am
Just a few pics. The doors are not done but I'm testing canvas for the panel of the doors. It would allow air through while blocking much of the light and some of the sound.

Posted By: CapnMorgan
Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 4:47am

I never would have thought of canvas, Are you just going to build a wood frame the stretch and staple the canvas to the back?

-------------
Steve
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40637&PID=356246" rel="nofollow - My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 10:31am
The canvas looks like it works pretty good. I just bought black material to skirt my whole stand with. It will be a new look, we'll see how it turns out.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 10:47am
I use a black skirt around mine, but that canvas looks cool too!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

I never would have thought of canvas, Are you just going to build a wood frame the stretch and staple the canvas to the back?

That is what I was thinking. But I'm trying to imagine a way to hide the staples to get a clean look even on the inside of the doors. There is an upholstery shop close by, maybe they can provide a trick.

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 6:53pm
Wanna sale some mangroves?

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 11:03pm
If there is interest I can order more mangroves and salt water condition them. $2.50 each.

Date Posted: October 07 2009 at 11:18pm

If there is interest I can order more mangroves and salt water condition them. $2.50 each.

Id try a few

-------------
801-680-4676

Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 10:26pm
While I was trying to net a fish I put a fright into all the fish. I was trying to catch this little clown for a couple days and I think I scared the stuff out of all the fish. A few fish showed ich, and hid more often; Just a week later it is gone. The fish are out more and relaxing now,, and I'm feeding well to show them how great I am, lol. They love me again. :) Anyone want more pics?

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 10:32pm

More pics? Heck yeah!

You might try decorative upholstery tacks instead of staples. If you fold the edge and use tacks, it will give you a clean look.  Yeah. they might rust but ....  you'll have a built in, antique look!

Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 10:40pm
I'm waiting to see how your canvas panels work out, I'm building a new facade for my current angle iron stand

-------------
Steve
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40637&PID=356246" rel="nofollow - My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 11:29pm
Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics!  Bring it on!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: October 14 2009 at 1:14am
Sorry to get back so late, been busy at work. Any way I would like some mangroves.

Date Posted: October 14 2009 at 2:12am
Watching this thread makes gets me even more excited to start building my new tank.

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 3:16am
Here are some pictures a friend took.

Edited with Paint and Live software.

Date Posted: October 15 2009 at 5:33pm
Very nice!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2009 at 1:51pm
The reef fest was great. I spent sixty bucks to fill my head with a little info and I also got these cool items-
I didn't win anything in the raffle, so hind sight I should have just bought a membership. But oh well, I work during the meetings and seminars anyway. I'm glad I was able to support the club anyway.
One thing that I'm going to take away from it is that I will remove all macro from my fuge except chaeto. It's the way I used to do it so I know it works well. I also really want to grow rotifers but I think I'll have to wait on that.
A few new pics.
My clowns keep producing eggs-
Here is one of the pieces of utah rock I added that is coloring up nicely-
Sunshine hitting the tank-

Date Posted: November 14 2009 at 3:03am

Sometimes at night I see tiny little jelly fish swimming around in the moon lights. At least that is what they look like. They are tough to get a photo of but I tried. They are about a .5-1.0mm maybe.

And a full tank shot with all the lights on.

Date Posted: November 14 2009 at 3:10am
I missed the talk about refugeums, so can you clearify for me why you only want to run chaeto in your fuge, instead of the other macro algaes you have?

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2009 at 12:05pm
Mine was all globbed together in one bunch. Macro algae can produce toxins that slow the growth of other algae. So for maximum health of the algae you want to keep them separated. My fuge is small and I have caulerpa in the display so I decided to remove most of the caulerpa from the fuge.
Also, the only reason I was using grape caulerpa was because I was told that it grows faster than chaeto. But if you look at the dry weight, chaeto grows faster.

Posted By: Luckedout
Date Posted: November 14 2009 at 1:00pm
Could those little guys be copepods? 

-------------
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Date Posted: November 14 2009 at 1:05pm

I don't think they are copepods. They are swimming in the current and look just like tiny jellies as they move.

Date Posted: November 18 2009 at 3:06pm
This utah rock is much more colorful than the last one I posted.

Date Posted: November 21 2009 at 1:20pm
I thought I should post a current full tank shot. It is three pieces left to right.

Also, this is one of my favorite corals and it is really liking the new tank. It looks almost fragable.

And another of the fish waiting for me to feed them.

Date Posted: November 26 2009 at 1:23am
Well I broke down and decided to add more fish. I hesitated because I like how easy the whole system is to take care of and I don't want to get more fish than the filtration can handle. I like it when the system has next to zero nitrates and phosphates. I hope I don't have to add more to the filtration. So these are the fish I already had:
3 Occellaris
2 bicolor blennies
6 bluegreen chromis
1 blue tang
1 blueeye tang
1 sailfin tang
1 spotted dragonet
1 six-line wrasse
And I added today:
One Swallowtail Angelfish-

And a foxface-

My sailfin thinks it's ruler of the tank and harassed both fish. The angel just acted like it didn't care what the sailfin did and the sailfin hasn't bothered it too bad. But the foxface was freaked out in the new system and the sailfin started picking on it. It's funny though because the sailfin is the only one that looks at all hurt. The foxface just sticks out its spikes and the sailfin still goes in for a bite and then swims off with a hurt mouth.

They are both eating everything I toss in there so that is good.

Date Posted: November 26 2009 at 8:18am
That is looking great. Cool fish too.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2009 at 2:49pm

Cry

My spotted dragonet jumped out of the tank sometime in the last couple days. It seemed so fat and happy.

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 7:41pm

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 7:42pm

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 7:54pm
Everything looks good Jesse. Do you still have the tiny blue tang? I love the swallowtail angels. Beautiful fish.

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2009 at 8:12pm
The blue tang is doing great and isn't so tiny anymore.
 Here are a few more pics.

Date Posted: December 22 2009 at 3:18pm
My wife was at the LFS months ago and they suggested two bicolor blennies because one was a female and one a male. They have at times looked like they got along but much of the time were fighting. In the last week it has been really bad and one is getting torn fins and is not looking happy. After days of trying I finally caught the fish and will move it to my dad's tank. I reminded my wife that this is why we don't listen to the LFS. I guess I'm reminding myself as well. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net