Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

phosphate reactor ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phosphate reactor ?
    Posted: July 06 2005 at 5:02pm
I was looking at phosphate reactors. There doesnt seem to be a whole lot to them.
My question is would there be any advantage to running carbon in the same way? if so would it be possible to build a dual chamber reactor for carbon and phosphate remover?
Do you think it is really benificail to have one or would you do just as well to get a regular power filter and run it on your sump with either carbon phos remover or both?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 5:09pm
I think it's definately the way to go with iron oxide/hydroxide phosphate remover media, but I'm not sure regarding the AC.  AC is pretty soft and in a fluidized bed it might just grind itself down to nothing.  But on the other hand, you'll really be using the full potential of the AC if you fluidize it.  I say give it a try and let us know how it works out!
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:47am

Bruce, I've been thinking of a phosphate reactor also.  Where have you found any?

P.S. edit changed remover to reactor.

Edited by rstruhs
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 8:22am
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/cmcls.htm
This looks like a good price. I would just buy one but I wanted to make one with an extra chamber for charcoal.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:30am

Jon/Bruce,

AC would be just fine in a fluidized bed or media vessel. You'll have some powdering initially, but it'll settle just fine. I prefer coconut shell for metals removal, bit for the application the adsorption should be fairly equal.

Just remember, the more media the better with AC. Looking at that little reactor, you may want to use a larger canister filter because that's all it really is anyway. It would be better to use a multiple pass (polishing) system where you are cycling water through the media faster than you are discharging the filtrate. In other words, as an example have a 300 gph pump cycling water through the media but only discharging 50 gph.

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by pistonfister pistonfister wrote:

This looks like a good price. I would just buy one but I wanted to make one with an extra chamber for charcoal.

Could you just "piggy-back" two together?  One for phosphate and one for AC?

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 1:08pm
Can't you just use an old canister filter and take out the foam or other media?
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 12:47am

After looking at a magnum 350, it apears that the water flow goes the wrong way to be effective. The phosban reacter acts like a fluidized bed. The canister AC holder would hold the media to tight, and if you put it in the outside of the holder I think that the media would sink to the bottem with the water bypassing it.

Im I looking at this backwards or upside down? I would like to build a phosphate reactor and would like to see how others did there diy set ups.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Vash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 9:41pm
have you guys seen the one made by two little fishes for the phosban its only $35 bucks?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 9:47pm
I bought one last week for 29.99 + shipping. Does not include the pump but does include the media.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 10:22pm
Algae is an excellent phosphate user and when harvested, it removes that phosphate from the system. I turn on the Algae scrubber/Refugium lights 24/7 for a week to remove more phosphate and other nutrients. I rarely need to remove more phosphate than the algae is using. It's when someone has an algae bloom that I ask them to put some Activated Alumina in a mesh bag near a good water flow. This is simple and does the job.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 5:07pm
I have the 2 fishies unit also... Just used an old powerhead as the pump.

Make sure you run the media for about 5 minutes into a bucket or it will put
a lot of sediment back in the tank.

Seems to be doing a fine job of phosphate removal, and it's very simple,
quite affordable, and another fun looking gadget attached to the tank.
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 6:10pm

Is there any reason why I shouldn't mix phosban and AC in the same fluidized bed?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:26pm

Depending on the level of phosphate vs. organics, one may become saturated before the other is ready to be discarded. That's the only drawback I can think of.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic