Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting for a refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cbarney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting for a refugium
    Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:15pm
I remember reading a post a while back about some inexpensive light fixtures from the home depot that people use for their refugiums. I can't remember any specifics about them if anyone could refresh my memory?  Thanks,

Also what kind of substrate would you recommend for a fuge?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:19pm
It is a "Lights of America" (LOA) porch light. I can't find it on their web site.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:19pm
For substrate I would use fine to medium grade.

Mike

cbarney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:21pm
Thanks Mike, would you recommend that light or a name brand fixture?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:26pm
I had real good luck with that fixture and would use it again.

Mike

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:55pm
Posted by Carlso63
"Actually, if you are willing to spend a little more, HD has a 65w version of the 27w "Lights of America" unit for about $40 (the 27w unit is around $25)...

It is a spiral flourescent bulb that usues 65w of electricity but has comparable lumens to  500w of incandescent lighting Big%20smile

Your fuge macros will grow like mad using this fixture Star it blows anything else away!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:04pm
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=lights+of+america&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
These are the 27watt ones. I know the Home Depot on Riverdale Rd east of I-15 on the south side of the road has both sizes. I was just there two weeks ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:09pm

I cannot verify if these are the exact ones that mike and carlso63 are refering to, but they seemed to match the description when I was looking at them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:15pm
Actually I think it might be this Model #9267
I'll stop now, I'm starting to sound like Barcak Hussein Obama, rambling on and on and making no senseLOL
Newbreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:57pm
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html thought this might be of some help.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 1:50am
Originally posted by DeepFriedOprah DeepFriedOprah wrote:

I'll stop now, I'm starting to sound like Barcak Hussein Obama, rambling on and on and making no senseLOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLBut its ChangeLOLLOLLOL(no one knows what he means but he's believing it)LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 2:00am

THAT'S the one, Jason!

Almost 7000 lumens @ 6500K - that will BLOW Melevs wimpy bulb out of the water !!!

LOLLOLLOL
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:42am

I have used the bulb that is in the 9027 (same bulb, different fixture) and the chaeto really likes that light, in a bigger fuge the 65W should have insane growth!  I know Home Depot has the 9027.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 3:51pm
i just purchased the 9265 from home depot for my new refugium but im not to great at electrical work. can i just splice the black and white wires to the end of a cut off extension cord?
cbarney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 6:25pm

Thanks for all your help, I went with the 27W since my refugium isn't that big I thought the 65W would would be overkill for its size. thanks again everyone was very helpful.Smile

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Newbreefer Newbreefer wrote:

i just purchased the 9265 from home depot for my new refugium but im not to great at electrical work. can i just splice the black and white wires to the end of a cut off extension cord?

Yes, but - did your light come with 2 or 3 wires?

I'm trying to remember but I thought mine also had a green (ground) wire coming out of the light... I know I used a 3 pronged cord and yes I just spliced it together and sealed with some black electrical tape...

But if your light has that grounding wire then by all means use a grounded plug on it.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
cbarney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 6:29pm
If you don't want to cut a an extension cord I bought a light duty tool replacement cord that has a ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 5:56pm
got it all figured out thanks guys. there was no ground wire on the light fixture so it was simple and i just used a old 2 prong cord i had laying around. Got my new 25g refuge/podfarm/DSB lit and up and running. That is one intest bulb! i'll post some pics tomorrow Smile, gotta head to work soon.

Edited by Newbreefer - May 22 2008 at 5:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic