Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need advice: Buy new bucket of salt or supplement?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice: Buy new bucket of salt or supplement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Goonter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goonter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice: Buy new bucket of salt or supplement?
    Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:54pm
Hello! 

So here is the story. I noticed my parameters decreasing in calcium/alk and I’m using instant ocean salt which I bought a bucket and have started using that instead of a bag. I tested with API and asked on a separate forum and they insisted it I needed to get salifert test kits... I got nearly the same numbers.  I figured maybe I didn’t mix the bucket well enough and it may have had stuff settle, so I tested water prior to mixing the salt and after and it’s been the same. Calcium is around 340 and alk is about 9 on both batches. 

My corals are looking great which is what I’m leaning more toward over numbers. So here are my options and I can’t decide which is a better route? 

-Continue using the salt mix but start supplementing.
-Buy a new bucket of the same mix and hope it’s a better composition.
-Switch salts.

Parameters:
28 gallon - 1 fish, 6 corals (1 SPS) I don’t think my tank has a heavy enough bio load that this these parameters should be a problem and with the size I think all 3 options are viable. 
Salinity 1.025
Temp: 77
Alk: 8.9
Ca: 355
Mg: 1140

Any advice on which is the best/cost effective/least headache approach? 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 1:57pm
Interesting question.
I'm unsure.
I think I would dose over a few days and bring the numbers up, but keep using the salt.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Goonter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goonter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 6:32pm
Thanks Adam— that’s the route I decided to go. I’m working on the magnesium right now then plan to work on the calcium. I’ve been going back and forth on selecting a calcium/alk supplement.  I’ve been debating on either BRS cacl/sodium bicarbonate, reef code a/b powder, or tropic marin all for reef (I’ve heard amazing things about this, it is pricier but viable for a small tank). Any recommendations? I’ve done esv b-ionic in the past and liked it, but it’s sold out everywhere I’ve looked. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 9:05pm
Kalkwasser 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic