Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What should I aquaculture next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I aquaculture next?
    Posted: July 31 2019 at 8:54pm
Hello all!

I've been working for the past few months to breed peppermint shrimp and I've finally gotten some of this latest batch to almost two weeks old!
I'm optimistic that they will survive to settlement as juvenile shrimp as I have had virtually no mortalities since the first couple days and they are growing very quickly and even catching and eating young/near-adult brine shrimp.
I hope to have photos soon but they are a challenge to catch holding still.

I intend to expand my aquaculture endeavors to other species, so I would like to ask what creatures everyone would really like to see aquacultured locally. I'm willing to try just about anything, although space and funding are constraints.

Currently culturing:
  • Copepods (harpacticoid)
  • Brine shrimp - Enriched with phytoplankton
  • Phytoplankton
  • Various macroalgae (Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa Racemosa)

On my radar/to-do list short term (next 6-12 months):
  • Calanoid pods (spp. Parvocalanus Crassiostris)(had some but temporarily dropped in favor of brine shrimp)
  • Urchins (Astropyga Radiata)
  • Mysid shrimp
Long-term ambitions:
  • Tridacnid Clams
  • Seahorses
What would you like to see cultured? Convince me of a good reason and I may well try. Especially if you would like to donate broodstock of anything (assuming I have room in my tanks).

Edited by Ephyris - August 01 2019 at 4:43pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 7:26am
Extremely ambitious! Love it. 
I'd be most blown away, and your best shot, with urchins. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 10:19am
Urchin aquaculture technique is actually quite well documented. They can be induced to spawn on demand with a mild chemical injection near their mouth. According to my research, the larvae are in some ways more hardy than peppermint shrimp zooae.
ORA has already commercialized one species and they all spawn basically the same way.

Edited by Ephyris - August 02 2019 at 10:20am
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 1:54pm
before reading your list i immediately thought of Tridacnid Clams.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 11:02pm
How are the peppermint shrimp coming? Depending on the species they should settle between 18 and 30 days. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 5:20pm
Shaun:
They are now 2-3 times their starting size. They have back appendages longer than their body and are starting to develop coloration in their claws. They are able to catch and eat large juvenile/adult brine shrimp.

They hatched 15 days ago, how do I know when they are about to settle?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 11:14pm
There is no way to tell when they are ready to settle. The only sign I got was heavy mortality just before.
Shaun
American Fork
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 1:33pm
Odd. I wonder why the heavy mortalities? Perhaps difficulty with the moult? They're 21 days old now and I still have about the same amount as I have for weeks.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 9:26pm
how did the shrimp do?
Shaun
American Fork
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 11:23pm
Still have one that hasn't settled. I may have settled ones in the bottom of the tank that I am unaware of since the phyto murk is fairly strong (also its a 65 gallon deep hexagonal tank). I've been using a lot of gentle aeration from limewood airstones to keep the water oxygenated especially for the dark hours.

Edited by Ephyris - August 24 2019 at 11:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic