Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anthony70 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting suggestions
    Posted: March 15 2018 at 10:51am
I recently picked up a 92 gallon corner tank and I am looking at upgrading the lighting on it.  It currently has a 36 inch 4 build T5 fixture. What would be a good setup for a mixed reef?
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 11:52am
I like the idea of smaller lights that can be spaced out better. I would say that 2 AI Primes or Kessil A160. If you want more light later you could add a 3rd one. That would work with thoughtful coral placement. If you go with the smaller lights I would run them near 100%.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 1:42pm
I would second the vote on AI primes or the hydra 26 would be good as well. You will thank yourself for getting LEDs because of the huge decrease in cost to run and the ability to control most modern LED lights to an absurd degree (e.g., lightning flashes and cloud simulation on some controllers).
60g LPS Cube
Anthony70 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 3:14pm
Thanks for the suggestions so far. So would you supplement the T5 fixture or remove it?
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 3:24pm
T5s makes a great supplement to the leds. They are diffused so it will calm down the shimmer and fill in the shadows a little. I have several Kessils with 2 T5's to give it the extra boost and even out the light. It is up to you. If it can all fit on the tank and you like the way it looks I would keep a couple bulbs above the tank.

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 5:50pm
I like the idea of supplementing an LED with T5 mostly for the reasons knowen stated. I personally like the shimmer look but did not at first (LEDs can be a bit strobey with weird light patterns/shades in the shimmer they produce). That is all personal preference though. I would see some tanks that have the lighting you are considering before deciding which one you like best.
60g LPS Cube
Anthony70 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 11:36am
I personally like the shimmer as well. So that is something I'm looking for.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 11:45am
Why don't you just do natural sunlight?
Anthony70 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 3:44pm
That's funny you should say that.  The tank is is the basement underneath a window and about 1/4 of it should get some natural sunlight hitting it.
Anthony70 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 8:20pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I picked up the AI HD Prime and I love it.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 8:32am
Nice choice. AI makes a great light and the built in wifi makes these a step above imo.
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic