Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Goby Pest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Goby Pest
    Posted: October 06 2017 at 2:47pm
One pest not discussed in yesterday's meeting is a unique one for me. I have a tiny yellow goby that is an absolute menace. I thought he was cute at first and read he may bother acros... no problem I thought, I'm LPS only. I should have read more that they may choose other corals. 

This guy is obsessed with acans, and he thinks they don't look good unless they are fully retracted. So, he goes around to all my acans in the tank and nips/bumps them until they retract. I've moved some around and he eventually finds them again. 

He will perch on just about every coral in the tank, but he only bugs the acans. Whenever I see him perching on an acan I shoo him away with a turkey baster. He has now learned to hide whenever I stand and approach the tank, so I think I just made getting rid of him harder on myself.

It was recommended to me to try and catch him at night by sneaking/surprising him with sudden light and netting him. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do much sneaking in my current condition, so I'm hoping there might be some other ideas out there. 

I just want him gone. I'm getting nightmare flashbacks regarding a damsel that was my first fish and I had to tear apart my entire tank apart to get him out. That damsel was a disaster fish, and I swore I'd never repeat that mistake, yet here I am. I don't know how to get this guy. He's small, quick, and terrified of me.
60g LPS Cube
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 3:48pm
Don't laugh, but use a shop vac and suck him out.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 4:15pm
I'm laughing, but it's an evil genius laugh. Tomorrow I'm camping out next to my tank with my shop vac. I'll clean the nozzle and keep it in the tank so he gets used to it. Then I'll hit the power button and he'll be living in the sump by Sunday. I knew someone would have a new idea. Thank you very much
60g LPS Cube
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 9:54pm
Pull that nozzle out of the water quick. It will create a crazy good syphon that will flow after you turn off the electric motor! Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic