Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skimmer advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaybird709 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skimmer advise
    Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:36am
 I have been in the aquarium hobbie for 40 years, freshwater. I am making the change to a saltwater reef tank. I built a sump, have dry rock curing one week now, I have been looking online for a protein skimmer. does anyone have any experience with Reef Octopus or the Vortex brands, is it money well spent to go with Vortex or would the Octopus do just as good of a job for less money?

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:45am
You are going to get a ton of different opinions on this. I think that the important part is this. nearly all skimmers work. Do some work better than others or are some easier to use than others, I reply yes to this. However, that doesn't mean that either one won't work just fine.

I know people in this hobby that own Virtex skimmers and really like them. I also know people, including myself, that use Reef Octopus skimmers and really like them.

My advise would be to buy the best one you can within your budget. That is the best "brand" of skimmer to me. There are quite a few used skimmers that get posted here for sale that would save you even more if you are patient and have a little time to wait, which it sounds like you do.

I hope that helps.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 11:27am
Not that Krazie needs any validation, but I wholly support what he says here.  

Just buy the best one you can afford.  Maybe if you post your budget/goals for your tank, we could help recommend a size/model.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by kevin.st kevin.st wrote:

Not that Krazie needs any validation, but I wholly support what he says here.  

Awe, Thanks! I had a momentary warm feeling over that. Don't worry it's passed now. Giggle

But really Thanks!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 1:39pm
I have a vortex on my 180 and octopus on my 45. Both work great and I would be comfortable recommending either one.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 2:57pm
I run several Reef Octopus, and Bubble Magus both are popular and work well. Some of the LFS will price match on line prices and are also a great resource locally.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 3:18pm
Most skimmers do work. I've only seen a few of the cheapest skimmers suck and some that weren't so cheap suck. Overall the ones you'Re thinking about getting are ones that I usually see work. There are always outliers though, just like with every product. I use HOB skimmer since I have no sump and they work great.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 3:25pm
I agree with above. Any skimmer will work. Even old skimmers like the ASM brand work great, since a skimmer is just plastic and a good pump. There are used skimmers for sale here all the time, even as recent as a few days ago.

You have me curious. It looks like you registered here back in 2009. Have you been researching the reefkeeping hobby ever since?

If so, you probably know the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked here and below, in the signature line of all my posts. If by some wild chance you haven't seen that thread, you'll want to look at it. It is a compilation of forum discussions of ways to do the job right the first time, to save money and to avoid the negative issues that can come up at any time during the life of a reef, especially during start up.

The original purpose of the WMAS was to help people keep a better marine aquarium. In those days most people kept fish in tanks that were aquascaped with bleached coral. Today we would consider that pathetic, but back then it was the way it was done. So, for many years the WMAS was on the cutting edge of new biological technology. We pioneered many things, the RDP Refugium being one example and using rock and sand found in Utah and Florida as another example.

I hope you will continue to come here asking questions. That's the best way to learn and to have a healthy, beautiful reef with maximum enjoyment at lowest cost.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. 
Would you like to know how to avoid the old fashioned cycle and have coral and fish living in the tank tomorrow? Read about it in the Reefkeeping Tips.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 9:55am
Thanks to everyone who replied, I was told by a local fish store I would have plenty of hobbiest that will be happy to help out a newbie to reefing.

I am setting up a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump refugium. after reading your post and watching many reviews and videos on youtube, I ordered a Octopus 152 from Marine Depot. I have 80 pounds dry rock curing for 1 week now, I am debating wether to go with sand or no sand, does anyone have any advice for me on this subject? 

Thanks, Jay

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 11:40am
What is your plan for your fish list? Sand is home to like a gazillion things that help keep the N cycle under control. I say try without sand first if you're unsure and if unhappy add sand through a pipe to keep it from flying around. Easier to add then to remove. I personally like the look of sand and some fish sleep in the sand. Hope that helped lol.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 12:14pm
I like the looks of sand also, I have watched a few videos where the hobbyist claimed it is easier to keep your tank clean without sand. that being said would crushed coral be a better choice?
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2017 at 4:44pm
Again fish choices with crushed coral. Some fish burrow or like mine dive into the sand. Easier to keep clean generally because everything gathers in one corner or area of the tank that you siphon out weekly.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 8:02am
I have read that fine sand can blow into corals and cause problems would a course sand be a better choice? or is that not a problem? I think I will buy some just not sure what type would be best
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 3:00am
Fine sand can blow around a bit or be moved by fish when they're fanning the sand. You can design your flow to accommodate whatever sand you please. It doesn't matter a whole bunch what size as long as you help uncover coral that gets covered if it gets covered a lot. Having corals on rocks or something raising it out of the sand a little bit will help out a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic