Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb fish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb fish?
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 8:36pm
So I just introduced a one spot fox face into my display tank today, and I have 2 different tangs in the tank currently. A Tomini tang and a Yellow tang. Now I understand that a Fox face is venomous, yet my tangs are harassing him on occasion by like patting him/pushing him with with their tails. I'm pretty sure my yellow tang got stuck with one of its spines. If that's the case is that pretty much a death sentence? I know aggression with new fish is fairly normal but I don't want two retarded ass fish going and killing themselves.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 9:42pm
They'll be fine.  I'd worry more about the rabbitfish making it out okay.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 10:36pm
Well I hope for that too I hope for the best in all of the fish i bring home. He's a cool fish. Overall he is eating well already, as well as coloring up nicely, and not looking all Brown and tense like they can. Hopefully he is warmed up too by the tangs.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 9:05am
Have you seen the threads about this in the Reefkeeping Tips(see link below)? In that discussion we talk about how to prepare the tank beforehand, how to acclimate and then, once they are tankmates, how to train the fishes. I believe its titled Secrets of Adding New Fish and the Miracle of Garlic Oil.

It's also good to recognize that three relatively large herbivorous fish in a 90 gal is okay, provided they have plenty of plant food to graze on. These fish are like cattle. In order for them to do their best, they should be able to graze on plants/algae throughout the day. Hobbyists may find success with these fish without providing grazing algae, but in the long run, herbivorous fish are healthier and happier when grazing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Different fishes graze on algae in the surf zone of Kahaluu Park (Snorkel Beach) on the west side of the big island of Hawaii.

Fishes grazing on Romaine Lettuce in Marks little 75 gal ocean in Green Valley (St. George) Utah (they had previously devoured off the rocks a huge field of algae).

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 9:34am
Oh and regarding venom, I'd say it's more an irritant than a lethal venom, probably having the effect of scaring off possible predators. I have been stuck several times and never experienced anything more than temporary pain.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 10:06am
Thanks for the info Mark, Helpful as always. I took most all precautions that I have available to me during the acclimation process, and he appears to be doing fine when left alone. Just shy. I have never tried Garlic Oil however, I will have to look into investing in some.

I am going to go home tonight and  provide 2 feeding spots for Nori on each side of the tank to try and separate the tangs and Foxface as much as possible. The fox face ate some, Mysis last night as well as this morning so that's a good sign at least, and he did make it through the night without much trouble I assume, I kept an eye on things for a few hours after the lights went out. 

I just find it weird that the YT didn't display the same, behavior with the Tomini Tang when he was introduced. he just more or less followed him around the tank, but never touched him.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:14am
The YT may have swam with Tomini or it's Bristletooth cousins in the wild, but may not have swam with Foxface or other types of Rabbitfish.

Thumbs UpYes, I feed all over the tank to keep old fish from scaring away the new fish.

Solgar Garlic Oil Perles are something I never go without. I have a large supply and would be happy to share. Just call me at 808-345-1049. Midvale is next to Murray. GO has saved more of my fish than I know. In the early days of my hobby, I lost a good third of my new fish to Ich. Of course, those were the days before we knew about the benefits of UV and O3.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 1:22pm
Ill have to hit you up! I wish I had space for a UV or O3, I'm going to have one hell of a time getting an apex on the system in the next few coming months.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 4:43pm
I've found the Solgar Garlic to be so effective that I personally don't worry about UV or O3. We could get together, see my tanks (such as they are) and talk about how I maximize the health of my animals.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 5:04pm
Haha I get home this afternoon from work, and it's almost as if he's been in the tank for a minute. Heso free swimming now not so shy, tangs still try to push him around buy he just swims on by. He's looking good.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 4:27pm
Mark,

Do you feed garlic on a regular basis or only when you see signs of trouble?  Do fish get Ich after being in the tank for a while?  I thought it was only a concern when introducing new fish.  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 8:11am
Stress can occur anytime for various reasons, even something as apparently simple as moving a few rocks. I guess even fish can get stressed when someone messes with their home. Confused

This thread, also listed in the Reefkeeping Tips, pretty much gives all my recommendations and instructions for GO treatment:

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 25 2016 at 8:14am
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

Mark,

Do fish get Ich after being in the tank for a while?  I thought it was only a concern when introducing new fish.  

Ich (or its marine counterpart) is in every major body of water. I have seen others talk about developing ich in an isolated tank, when no new fish are added, and the only things put into the tank are: a)food, and b)water durring water changes. No plants/Corals added, as the you would think, nothing was added to the tank.

This leaves three possibilities:
First of all, it's possible that the ich continues in the tank. The Skeptical Aquarist says, "This cannot be! There is no dormant stage of the ich life cycle." The Skeptical Aquarist is right about the latter, but presuming that this precludes the idea that the ich has continued in the tank is a major mistake. Because of the method of reproduction, all it takes is one little parasite growing on a single fish (even in the gills) to keep the infestation going. In a healthy fish, one or two parasites aren't a problem. It's really only in stressed fish, or when the fish are completely overwhelmed, that the parasite can take over the tank. 
Second, it's possible that the parasite was added by the food. When we're talking about flake food or pellet food, however, that doesn't really work. We know that the cysts can't survive drying out.
Third, the parasite was introduced to the tank via water changes. The cyst is relatively protected against a wide variety of chemicals. I wouldn't doubt that chlorine / chloromines was one. Those chemicals kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses. All it takes is one cyst to let hundreds of individual parasites into the tank.

In either the first or the third case, it can be presumed that, while ich isn't necessarily present in every one of our tanks, we also can't presume that the lack of an overt infestation means the tank is entirely free of the pest.

Edited by Kromlech - May 25 2016 at 12:48pm
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 12:25pm
Yes, the info above is commonly accepted as fact, though the writer of that article missed specifying a very significant avenue of Ich transmittal. In the short stage of its life where it lives off the fish it is living in/on rock and sand, including the base of coral. When these items are moved from one tank to another, the Ich Parasite hitchhikes to its new home. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 25 2016 at 12:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic