Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tricks to get Anemone off of a rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tricks to get Anemone off of a rock
    Posted: January 06 2016 at 10:33pm
I have been wanting to get rid of my anemone for a while now but cannot get it to come off of the rock that it is on. Lately it has started roaming and settled down in between 3 of my acros. 2 days later it has split so I am very motivated to get both of them out now. I tried blasting it with a powerhead when it was a single anemone but it didn't budge after 12 hours of blasting. It is on a rock that I can pull out - but the rock does have 2 very encrusted acros on it that I am trying to preserve. Any thoughts on how to get these off of the rock?

Thanks!
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 10:42pm
After a year long battle with my Anemones, last week, I finally found what I was missing. Everyone says to use a powerhead right? Right. I used multiple different powerheads and pointed them straight at them and nothing every happened.... finally I read a post that said to use a maxi jet 1200 and imagine you were pressure washing paint off of cement. I only have a maxi jet 900 but I put it in there and put the stream right there at the edge of the foot and went back and forth like I was using a pressure washer and one one part of the foot came up it created a pocket. I shot water into that pocket and continued like I was pressure washing and it finally came off after ~10 minutes.

I also tried this method on a nem that was set in its spot and hadn't moved on months and it took an hour.... so if you can get it while it's moving it will come off much easier.

Edited by PharmaSki - January 06 2016 at 10:43pm
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 11:01pm
A lot of times if it has just moved you can try getting one edge of the anemone up with your finger nail if you can get it peeling up at all normally they get mad and you can literally just peel them off the rock
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 11:04pm
I tried peeling both of them up with my nail...they were locked down tight. I am going to give the powerhead trick a shot this weekend. 
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 6:01am

I have tried both of the above methods with some success. If your having a hard time getting your fingernail under it try rubbing ice cubes along the edge of its foot. The cold will piss the anemone off and will (from my experience) curl the edge of its foot a bit while it tries to move away.

Good Luck!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 6:16am
Good advice above. 

I believe we worry too much about hurting the anemone. These BTA's are very hardy. They can take some cutting and chiseling of the rock they are one. Their cuts and rips heal rather quickly. Once an edge of flesh begins to come up, you've started as Jackie said. Smile Keep gently chiseling at the underlying rock and you'll be surprised how, little by little, the anemone will come off until it's completely released. This is especially easy when the rock is removed from the tank. When it's out of the water it's much easier to see the margin between LR and anemone and to use precision and force in chiseling and scraping the underlying rock.

Left for a few days in an acclimation container (deli cup with bridal veil lid) with a small rock from its tank to grab hold of, the anemone will quickly heal and recover, ready for transport to a new tank.

Oh, by the way, the right tool is very important. The chiseling and scraping is best done with a sharp edge. I have a medium size screwdriver I long ago sharpened to do fine scraping, to break up LR, to get under and remove heavy duty staples, etc. This is what I use for all kinds of work in my coral business, where a strong sharp edge is needed. I also use a medium size cold chisel to break up live rock. Good LR is fairly soft and breaks in pieces easier than most hobbyists realize, because they've never tried it. 

Be brave. Play like you're a stone mason. Go for it. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic