Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to recover Algae growing SPS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to recover Algae growing SPS?
    Posted: May 14 2015 at 1:24pm
I have a piece of green slimer in my tank.  It was my first piece of SPS coral...a tryout at the time I put it in my tank.  The tryout didn't go the greatest.  The piece lost some flesh and stopped extending it's polyps.  Fast forward a couple years and now I have several pieces of SPS doing very well in my tank.  However this particular piece keeps growing a bit of film algae on its bare skeletal areas where the tissue is gone and it still does not extend any polyps.  What's the best way to help this piece recover?

Parameters(since I know someone will ask):
SG 1.026
Alk 8.4-9.0
Calcium ~430
Mag ~1400  (I question my test kit here as it has always read high, yet I don't dose mag and use regular IO for my salt mix)
Phos  .03 - .05
Nitrate ~15ppm  (working hard on this one, Building an ATS now)
Temp 76 degrees
Much thanks in advance!

Edited by aceofspadeskb - May 14 2015 at 1:42pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 1:52pm
What are you feeding your corals? Does it extend polyps after the lights go out? Have you tried areas with more and less flow or higher or lower light? What corals are upstream in the water flow that might be sending out chemical warfare? Those are the ones that com immediately to mind. Your Nitrates are high but not something I would think would effect green slimer.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 1:58pm
I don't directly feed my corals.  I feed the tank reef frenzy.  The only coral within 6" is a piece of green birdsnest(which is doing great).  Within a foot there is a large frogspawn, a small favia, and a large duncan colony. Too close? The slimer is in it's 3rd spot in the tank in an area with moderate-to-high light and high flow.  Not sure about polyps after lights out.  I'll have to have a look tonight.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:04pm
Nothing standing out so far. Have you tried any coral dips like revive? Sometimes those will bring a coral out of it's dormant state to start growing and coloring up. Baer doesn't help tissue but does get rid of lots of nasties.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:13pm
I haven't, but I do have revive on hand.  I'll try that tonight.  Is there any way to remove the algae without hurting the coral?  Soft toothbrush?  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:22pm
10% peroxide and water and just dip the parts covered in algae for about a minute. then put it back in the tank and the clean up crew should take care of the rest.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:30pm
Excellent!  So should I do both dips then?  10% Hydrogen peroxide and then revive?  Or vice-versa?  Or should I spread them out over a couple of nights?  Thanks so much for your help Krazie!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:46pm
Also, on the hydrogen peroxide dip, do I use tank water or RO water?  And how long?  

Thanks!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 2:48pm
Peroxide and RO water first, about 1 minute, then revive. Rinse in tank water and then back in tank.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic