Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elegance Coral Wont Open fully

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djsid408 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsid408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elegance Coral Wont Open fully
    Posted: April 24 2015 at 11:46am
So I've had this coral for a few months now and I can't get it to open fully 
I have a stock 28 gallon LED nano cube
All water parameters are good

robot.fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot.fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 12:59pm
Can you share your test results?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 9:49am
Hi,

I was looking at this picture again and am curious is this elegance coral is more coned shaped? Versus, say, a cup shape. If its more cone shaped, where it cannot stand up on its own, but rather lays on its side, I would try propping it in a piece of PVC to get the flesh off of the sand. This may help.

I had one of my cone shaped ones tip over, off of its PVC, and it looks very much like yours. I have others that are more cup shaped that sit on their own. 

Not sure if this will fix it, but it could help slightly.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 6:41am
I also see Green Star Polyps, a leather coral(lobophytum?) and a Feather Duster Worm that are not open. Perhaps there is something else going on that we need to know about, to be truly helpful. What's the history of this tank?

It's my understanding that Elegance Coral actually live in the wild with their base skeleton partially buried in the mud. They live where the water is turbid (always full of dirt and crud). I would wiggle its skeleton down into the sand and do some daily sand stirring to feed it. That's what I would do. Smile

Frankly, I can't see much value in trying to help more when, after 5 days, the poster has not bothered to reply with test result numbers, which should really begin with Alkalinity and Calcium readings, rather than Nitrate because by the look of the surrounding tank, Nitrogen compounds may be within tolerable limits.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 29 2015 at 6:50am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic