Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toadstool Frag or Sell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
manufan20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manufan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toadstool Frag or Sell?
    Posted: December 31 2014 at 1:37pm
I have a toadstool coral that has grown way too big for my tank.  I have an RSM 130 and it is approx 14 inches by 8 inches and about 10-12" tall.  It is really a pretty coral so i would feel bad fragging it, but it need to do something.  

I am concerned that it would be difficult to move as a full piece as it is attached to a rock, though I am pretty sure the rock is removable.   

I guess I am just asking for advice on what to do.  

Would it potentially damage the whole coral if I try to move it?  Would fragging it be the best option?   Any help would be appreciated.   

Here is a picture from about 2 months ago

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:56pm
Sell it to Adam.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 11:06pm
You can actually cut off around the rim of the toadstool to reduce it's size using a pair of scissors. Toadstools recover very quickly and you can cut up the rim you take off into little squares and each of those will become a new smaller toadstool :)

Removing the entire coral shouldnt cause it any harm. Leather corals are tough! Removing it from the tank to frag it is what I would recommend. After fragging swirl it around in a bucket of tank water to remove debris and slime before returning to the tank. Would be best to do it after a water change so you have the old tank water to rinse and frag it in.

That is my opinion on the matter. It has worked for me :)

Edited by Pete Moss - December 31 2014 at 11:09pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 7:53pm
I agree with Pete.

When cut with scissors or knife, this coral produces a lot of strong chemicals that can irritate and even kill, so if it's cut while in the tank, do a water change after and add new Activated Carbon.

I typically start by making a few cuts into the disc, letting it heal for a week and making more cuts until several 1-3" pieces can be removed and secured to LR pieces with elastics. Doing a little at a time makes it so the chemical it produces doesn't overpower a relatively small tank.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Riverton_Ten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverton_Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 10:01pm
If you give it a close shave, I'd love some pieces!! 

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 8:56am
Wow that's an old thread to find.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 9:30am
I have a nice toadstool for you Daniel. This one won't be free, but it will be affordable.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Riverton_Ten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverton_Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 2:50pm
Mark, are you available this afternoon by chance?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic