Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID and help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID and help
    Posted: June 08 2014 at 12:32pm
I was given this piece when I picked up some other sps. The individual told me that he wasn't sure if it was even alive any longer. The piece now fluoresis dark green all over after being in my tank for awhile. The tips do not floures at all nor have I ever seen anything come out of the polyps for feeding or anything else. I have never experienced a piece of sps die or be dead, so really not sure what im looking for here. I have observed it at all times day & night with no changes in observation.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 10:56pm
See how it's really light on the left side. That indicates poor lighting and that it is just hanging on to life. The last pic clearly shows flesh with polyps retracted (the dark spots). If it has been that way for more than a week in your tank, then the coral is not in a favorable environment. It's not happy. It needs to be moved to an older more established tank with the healing power of natural sunlight. I'd be happy to hold it for you to let the polyps extend and growth resume until your tank ages a few more months, or I could trade you something for it and return a free frag to you later on.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:38am
Sunlight is not required for the coral to recover.

The piece appears alive, especially since it fluoresces. Alga growth is common on dead pieces. Lack of polyp extension can be due to a lot of things, including improper flow, wrong time of day, lack of food, improper water parameters, and pests (such as red bugs or Acropora Eating Flatworms. )

What are your water parameters? What type of flow is it in? Did you dip the coral before you introduced it into your tank?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 9:07am
Yes that's true, sunlight is not needed, but anyone that has never used sunlight on their reef is unaware of it's power. Coral heals faster in sunlight.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit in the sunshine anytime

P.S. The history of this new tank is here on the forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 11:55am
I have 2 koralia 1350 at either end with my return at about 70% of 2200 gph. Amonnia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate <10 calcium 500 magnesium 1400 phosphates 0 alkalinity 7.5dkh PH 8.2 i run 2 AI's turned way down. Everything in the tank has been flourishing and I was given this piece and have minimal knowledge of sick sps pieces. I know there are those on here that have amazing and vast knowledge of all things salt water so here I am. The shading of light and lack of light is due to it was in a tank with only actinic lights on so I have been trying to acclimate it to my light slowly by moving it in my tank. I have only had the piece a week today and as I said it is completely fluoresing a dark green all over now. I dip pretty much everything thing that goes into my tanks. Either freshwater or depending if it was just cut some iodine. Thank you both for any and all insights you have as I'm very ignorant but very willing to listen and learn.
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 7:08pm
Not sure if this helps or not but I received a frag of rose milpora that was white on its underside due to where it was fragged from the underside of a big colony were it wasn't receiving light. I started it out on my sand bed and slowly moved it to the top of the tank over a few weeks. The white turned red in about a month.

2 weeks ago I received a pretty big piece of blue slimer. It's mostly brown but it is gaining green polyps more and more every day. I hope it eventually turns blue. It is at the top of my tank the tips are lightening in color which I think means it's growing. It slimes up for a few minutes every time I do a water change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 8:18pm
Thats awesome thanks, I could see tonight 3 set of feeders barely starting to come out so I gave them some simple plankton which it seems to like as they didnt pull back in. Im excited and hope this works out.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Yes that's true, sunlight is not needed, but anyone that has never used sunlight on their reef is unaware of it's power. Coral heals faster in sunlight. P.S. The history of this new tank is here on the forum.

I think a more accurate statement is that corals grow faster in certain spectrum, which sunlight can provide. And, usually the best color is in a different spectrum. Various lighting systems can encourage the best of both worlds - growth and color. Anyway.......

First, I would not dip SPS (or any corals for that matter) in freshwater. There are much more effective and less potentially harmful dips out there (CoralRx, Bayer, TMPCC, Revive, etc.)

I would look at raising your alkalinity as it is at the bottom of the recommended spectrum.

Definitely give the coral time if it was in a tank with all actinics. I'd have it spend at least two weeks in the sandbed, then two weeks for about every 6" up.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 2:57am
Looking closer, the tank is actually older than I remembered. It can support the SPS. I agree with Eric's and Nikki's comments and suggestions above.
Aloha  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic