Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

moving 10 day clownfish larvae advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moving 10 day clownfish larvae advice?
    Posted: February 24 2014 at 11:10pm
I have my clownfish larvae in a 10 gallon tank right now but I have another batch of eggs I want to catch in a few days. so I have a 20 gallon I can put the current larvae in.

What would be the best way to go about moving them without stressing them?

Or should I just get another 10 to make into another larvae tank?
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 8:25am
My advice is: Don't move them.
Moving may only stress and kill them. Instead, put the 2nd batch of new larvae in the same tank and keep feeding Rotifers like crazy. Two groups that hatched back to back will get along just fine. How many of the 1st hatch are still alive? They are very close to or have already started metamorphosis. This is a very stressful point in their development already. That's why moving them right now is not good.

In the 10 gal tank, if the increase in feeding complicates the way their water is being filtered, let us know how it's being done now and we can give you some ideas for filtration options.

Later, after the first group have turned into baby clownfish, they can be dipped out and moved much easier into a grow-out tank, with some of their original water of course.

If your plan is to keep raising every batch, placing every batch or every two batches into separate tanks is a good idea.

This is what I would do. Shaun Sabey may have a better idea.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Carrie1121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrie1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 9:52am
Yeah don't move them. And my advice would be use another tank for the new batch to avoid contamination.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 8:44pm
I wouldn't move them, get another 10 gallon tank to start the new batch in.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:22pm
Thanks for the response guys! I will be doing another 10 gallon for the new batch.
I have roughly 50-60 left of the current batch. They are doing really good. They have started metamorphosis. I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning a lot! I can't wait to see what they are going to look like.

How do I know if they've completed the metamorphosis process?
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 7:09am
You will know it when you see it. They have the colors(not all the lines) of their parents and they swim like clownfish.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic