Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PICS Clown Fish with black spots all over him.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmokeyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PICS Clown Fish with black spots all over him.
    Posted: March 04 2010 at 5:55pm
I have two clowns that have had a couple black spots on them in the past, but nothing I was worried about. Today I walked over to my tank and WOAH!.. Both fish are covered in black spots. They've both been hosting in a colony of cat eye zooanthid... Could this cause the issue? They have been hosting there for a while now though.. Like 3 or 4 months, and now all of the sudden this?

They are eating normal, acting normal otherwise. Should I just put my big boy pants on and not worry about them? Or is there something I should/could be doing to help them? I'd like to think if they were getting stung they would get the heck out of dodge.

After I noticed their black markings, I noticed my RBTA was all shrunken in and sad looking(which it's never done). Think they got in a fight? They've never hosted in the RBTA, but it was strange to see both issues at the same time.

Edited by SmokeyBear - March 06 2010 at 8:09pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:07pm
A pic would help.
There is a condition called black Ich. It is nowhere near as serious as real Ich. Are you feeding frozen food marinated in a drop of Garlic Oil and thawed without water?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:32pm
They could've tried hosting in the RBTA and the black marks could be stings. It takes them a while to figure it out if they've never hosted one before. My poor clown was looking like a cheetah for a while when he first tried out the RBTA. Now he's figured it out and looks fine. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 11:00pm
The wife took the camera to Vegas for a convention. So, no pics for now.

I am not feeding frozen, they eat spectrum pellets, and the occasional frozen sallys brine shrimp.  (like once a month if that.. I never remember to get it out)

Just got home from school, and the RBTA is back out and acting normal again. I just saw the clowns trying to host in a new plate coral with tentacles, maybe he got them too.. They've been happy with their zoa home, but now they are branching out...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 8:08pm
Here are the pics of my 2 clowns.

Upon further visual evidence, can anyone else confirm that they are indeed not dying of the black plague? Obviously one fish (second pic) is getting it worse than the other.) Should I take them out or what? Is this a natural thing to get stung over and over? I thought they had some sort of symbiotic relations with the RBTA, what gives?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 8:08pm
Ohh yeah, they are still acting normal, eating normal. Still trying to host in zoas and a plate coral. Confused
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 9:23pm
Looks like RBTA sting marks to me. Not a life threatening Plague.  
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:16pm
My clown got the same thing a few months ago.  I just went to look an they are now gone.  I figured mine got stung when I put a new hammer coral in.   It did take a while to go away but the black spots on mine are completely faded now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:38pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I had looked up some pics online about this, and nobody had posted pics quite like mine. I saw some where there were a couple spots, but mine look almost like leopard clown fish.. LOL
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2010 at 12:06am
Yeah I cant believe how covered yours are! Shocked  My clowns hosted some zoanthids and got a few black spots on their stomachs but nothing like yours.   Glad its not life threatening.

Saltwaterfish6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwaterfish6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 12:21pm
You should see mine he has so many black spots he’s almost blackCry
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 7:35am
Let's see some pics
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic