Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyree Bubblegum Monster Fragging Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyree Bubblegum Monster Fragging Question
    Posted: August 14 2016 at 2:34pm

I had another thread about telling the deference between this and a mummy eye. Now I want to cut this up because it is too big. I would like to trim it back to about the red circle.  I have cut other chalices on my water cooled band saw, but never this much.  Can I do this all at once or should I do some, let it heal and then do more?  My thought is I can do it all at once. This chalice is about 4.5 by 8 inches.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 3:41am
stores usually cut them up into little pieces from big ones like yours... you'll be fine, just keep tank levels good while it heals.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 6:02am
Wondering if it can be done all at once? In that case, play it safe, do it in steps. Use dikes(wire cutter) or bone cutter at an angle to break a 1/2" piece off the edge and see how it does. Or if skeleton is really thick, use the band saw. If all is well in a week, take it to the band saw and do the whole job.

That's what I would do, except I would use dikes for the entire operation. Wink

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 8:55am
I only use a band saw to give it a better chance of survival. That way you get a nice clean cut too. I would cut it all at once. I have done this several times with great results. By the way this is a LPS coral not SPS.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 10:06am
I personally would do the entire colony at once. Just be sure to get an eye or two per piece, to help the frag survive. Also- I dip each coral in idodine to help with recovery.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

I only use a band saw to give it a better chance of survival. That way you get a nice clean cut too. I would cut it all at once. I have done this several times with great results. By the way this is a LPS coral not SPS.
I have a question about this, actually three questions.

1. Have you experienced better survival when sawing the piece versus breaking it up by hand or with cutters? Have you actually done it both ways?
2. Doesn't a "clean cut" look unnatural?
3. Isn't this one of those coral that is kind of hard to categorize as either large or small polyp? It doesn't get real thick and fleshy but neither are the polyps small like Acropora or Montipora.

And a comment regarding the idea of doing it all at once: 
I have found that hobbyists often know their tank better than anyone, so when they wonder about something or have an inclination to do something a certain way, it's a good idea for them to follow their gut feeling.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2016 at 2:30am
1. Haven't ever seen a difference.. more of a difference in how it's mounted on a plug or other thing.

2. Clean cut? does that matter when the coral is going to grow however it decides to?

3. Lets say... MPS... medium size polyp... nah, I would say LPS considering the size of the polyp structure and the distance between them...
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2016 at 7:59am

First off thanks all for the comments.

I prefer using the band saw on chalices as I like the clean cut and control it gives me. I have not tried side cutters on chalices and don't think I will. It is easy to avoid eyes  and I have had fast healing after using the band saw. The ones I have done they grow nice and evenly over the clean cut.

I asked for guidance on cutting all or some at a time because I was concerned about cutting all the way around the coral at one time. I have not had issues with healing in this tank, but have decided to do one third of the cut at a time.

I apologize for putting this in SPS. Most references put it in LPS. With that said, I do not think it fits in my mind very well in the LPS category either.

Lastly, anyone interested in a large chunk of Tyree Bubblegum Monster?

Glenn

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2016 at 12:08pm
Thumbs Up
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

2. Clean cut? does that matter when the coral is going to grow however it decides to?
FWIW, I have observed that coral attached to LR grows faster than coral attached to ceramic and plastic plugs. I believe Chalice is especially happy when it can stretch out over the solid foundation of rock before it starts to extend out into the water.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic