Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard vs. Soft (Corals)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard vs. Soft (Corals)
    Posted: July 23 2003 at 6:54pm
thanks for the info Brad
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:49pm
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:34pm

Also, read Borneman's section in his "Coral" book about soft coral toxicity. One potential problem is (some) soft coral touching the sps which would be bad (and toxin release).

Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:31pm

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181774&highlight=soft+corals+toxic

Here is a link where Borneman is talking about the toxicity of leathers to coral.

I did a search on 'soft coral toxicity' and there are sps reef keepers reporting problems with keeping certain types of softies with sps.

Example:

va_reefman
Reefer

I don't mean to say that one cannot keep a mixed tank *BUT* How many of us have seen a kick @ss SPS tank that have colony growing out of the wazu(SP?) and have at least 1/3 of the tank is softies? I haven't seen one. Most of the SPS tanks we have seen here on RC and other sites are either SPS dominated or just softies. Our closed system can handle so much and our maintenance effort is limitted.

IF one can do at least %25 weekly water change, skimmer the heck out of the system to keep the water clean for the SPS, then turn around feeding all kinds of food to the tank to keep the softies happy then one may be able to keep a strong and healthy mixed tank. The water quality and the lighting requirement alone are already make us crazy just for one type of reef. Imagine we have to keep both types happy in the same tank.

With all said, I have seen healthy(not too strong IMO) mixed system before. Mixed system means two or more different type tanks hooked together in the same system. They all share the same water, equipments...

This is only my personal observation/opinion.

Enjoy,
John

Current Tanks: 120g SPS
Interests: Reef

Just do that search and read the opinions.  There is no "scientific" proof only anecdotal observations and sps reef keep opinions.
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:12pm

I'll get back to you with what I can find.

Brad

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 6:58am
I have heard around the way that some authors think soft and hard corals together will limit the growth of sps corals.  I am trying to find an article or something that will get deeeper into this.  Brad A., who did you tell me about last night that said that?  I am thinking about turning my 120 into a hard tank only but I want to do some more research about it first.  Does anybody here have any knowledge of this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic