Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Cycle Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I was hoping to get HIS specific spreadsheet with his data :)

Just curious to see the numbers in detail :)

If you IM me your email I will send you what I have to date.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by PDoug PDoug wrote:

Not to revive a dead post but I have to Dose 150ml of alk a day so 70 is not bad at all

Not the quantity I was concerned with. It was that i didn't need calcium. I see on the BRS videos and they say to add the same amount of each. I am dosing 4 ml a day now of each and numbers are good. Will continue this for another week and see where I am at. I am just now starting to getting coralline on the rocks.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

Originally posted by PDoug PDoug wrote:

Not to revive a dead post but I have to Dose 150ml of alk a day so 70 is not bad at all

Not the quantity I was concerned with. It was that i didn't need calcium. I see on the BRS videos and they say to add the same amount of each. I am dosing 4 ml a day now of each and numbers are good. Will continue this for another week and see where I am at. I am just now starting to getting coralline on the rocks.

Coralline already they grow up so fast soon you will have aiptasia blooming in bad places sarcasm aside when my tank has one up but not the other I blame the RO water from my local grocery store In short it must be getting one from somewhere just a thought
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:08pm
I make my own water and it test at 0 TDS. I think it is just the tank being a little over 2 months young. Here is a picture of my RO/DI and salt mixing setup. The RO/DI is plumbed up to the 16 gallon ATO reservoir.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:38pm
The wine glass is really the finishing touch
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 8:03am

Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

The wine glass is really the finishing touch

That or a beer glass follows me around.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 6:41pm
Beer
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 10:01am
Here is an update. The tank is now almost 3 months young. I have been very happy with the stability of the tank. I now dose Alk and Mag 10Ml a day. I still think my PH is constantly lower than it should be.

Any thought or comments are welcome.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 11:34am
What do you use to dose for your magnesium? I had this same problem until I stopped dosing just magnesium sulfate and added magnesium chloride a ratio of 5:3 chloride to sulfate. Since adding the chloride I dosed 1 time and it stays stable ever since . It's been a month now so just my .02

Edited by Reefer4Ever - March 13 2015 at 11:35am
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 11:42am
Your ph is fine, mine is lower, 2.5 year old tank over 30 different sps colonies, add a c02 scruber to your skimmer if the number simply bothers you.
65g Reef
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

What do you use to dose for your magnesium? I had this same problem until I stopped dosing just magnesium sulfate and added magnesium chloride a ratio of 5:3 chloride to sulfate. Since adding the chloride I dosed 1 time and it stays stable ever since . It's been a month now so just my .02

I mag dose magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride mix. I don't know the ratio, but it is the BRS mix. I will check to see what their ratio is. The PH has stayed the same even before I ever dosed Mag. It is not C02 either, tank is upstairs and I tried C02 scrubber with no change in PH.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 1:47pm
Read this article my tank us always 7.8. In fact read every article you can by this dude http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/
65g Reef
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 2:23pm
What kind of salt do you use? I haven't had a need to dose Mag but I do dose Cal & Alk daily. I honestly don't know how much I dose since its powder and I have to dilute it with water.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Read this article my tank us always 7.8. In fact read every article you can by this dude http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

Great article and have read the article about 5 times and many of his other articles. That is one reason I am not that concerned. My PH ranges from about 7.75 to 8 over a 24 hour period. That is the norm for my tank so I keep my eyes peeled for changes outside that range or sudden changes in PH.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

What kind of salt do you use? I haven't had a need to dose Mag but I do dose Cal & Alk daily. I honestly don't know how much I dose since its powder and I have to dilute it with water.

I use Oceanic sea salt, natural mix. I have dosed very little mag and just recently. I did not touch it until I got the all and Ca very close to what I wanted. I use a doser and have been working toward a stable number for about three weeks. Once the coraline algae showed up usage of alc and ca increased. I still don't use much. 10ml a day of each. I am shooting to keep the tanks top three as stable as possible. I felt that once everything else was good I should focus on them. 

Not sure if you noticed I am doing monthly 10% water changes. That is what I want to do and know many will say that is not enough. I like the stability of dosing, AC, GFO, skimmer and refugum. I am getting to the point I can turn the GFO and skimmer off every other day.

Edited by relethg - March 13 2015 at 6:17pm
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 8:54am
I wish I were as smart as Ph.D Chemist Randy Holmes-Farley. We look to him for all our chemistry information. We used to have a Chemical Engineer in the club by the name of Jon Finch. His help was always invaluable. (Me, I'm just a dumb farmer with the wrong degrees for this stuff.) Randy's article partly explains why I have not tested pH for over 10 years. There really is very little need so long as 1) Alk is maintained, 2) good gas exchange is provided by surface water agitation and 3) oxygenation is assisted by Macroalgae producing O2 when illuminated.

QuestionAm I correct that Oceanic still makes that salt with high Ca? In my systems, using Utah Sand, the Ca is kept high because of the sand, so I use the less expensive regular IO salt and have an automatic dosing unit for Alk only. Mg is also buffered by the Utah Sand, so I rarely need to add Mg.

Just thought I'd share.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 3:37pm

... skimmer and refugum. I am getting to the point I can turn the GFO and skimmer off every other day.

Hi. I was just curious. Just trying to gather data for my own use to know if my stuff is in line since we are so close to each other and running a similar set up. 

From peoples tanks I have seen, if your tank is clean and the parameters/algae (little to none) is good, then there is no need to do a water change often. I wouldn't do water changes often but I keep experimenting with food and since I overfeed, I do water changes weekly. 

Thanks for the info.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

... skimmer and refugum. I am getting to the point I can turn the GFO and skimmer off every other day.

Hi. I was just curious. Just trying to gather data for my own use to know if my stuff is in line since we are so close to each other and running a similar set up. 

From peoples tanks I have seen, if your tank is clean and the parameters/algae (little to none) is good, then there is no need to do a water change often. I wouldn't do water changes often but I keep experimenting with food and since I overfeed, I do water changes weekly. 

Thanks for the info.

Marcos

I feel the same way about water changes.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

invaluable. (Me, I'm just a dumb farmer with the wrong degrees for this stuff.) Randy's article partly explains why I have not tested pH for over 10 years. There really is very little need so long as 1) Alk is maintained, 2) good gas exchange is provided by surface water agitation and 3) oxygenation is assisted by Macroalgae producing O2 when illuminated.

QuestionAm I correct that Oceanic still makes that salt with high Ca? In my systems, using Utah Sand, the Ca is kept high because of the sand, so I use the less expensive regular IO salt and have an automatic dosing unit for Alk only. Mg is also buffered by the Utah Sand, so I rarely need to add Mg.

This is what Oceanic test for me when mixed to 1.024 salinity.
Alk 9.5 DKH
Ca 470
Mag 1240

The numbers are a little higher than what I want, but I have 14 gallons left and need to look for a salt closer to what my tank is at. 

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic