Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Input on tank build/where to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Input on tank build/where to buy?
    Posted: February 19 2014 at 1:43pm
I got some dirt cheap glass from my work that I am planning on using for an aquarium build, I plan on having the glass glued (clear resin epoxy glue) instead of silicon, any thoughts on using that instead of silicon, it's permanent and holds stronger, I was told that the glass would break before the bond breaks.  However I am interested in feedback on the idea.

Also, Where would I buy the overflow box that can be used for a bottom drilled tank?  I found ones for a side drilled tank, but nothing for a bottom drilled system.

Thanks for your feedback!
Joe
That's what she said!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 1:54pm
How thick is the glass and how large a tank are you thinking of building? The real issue with a rigid epoxy is that the glass bows under the pressure of the water. Having a rigid joint means that the glass has to be able to absorb any pressure applied instead of it being transferred to the flexible joint as it is with Silicon.

If the glass is much thicker than what the size of the tank requires, then I might think about trying a rigid joint. If not, then I wouldn't do it.

Glassholes makes overflow boxes for both corner, back and hang on styles. Tyler at Elite could whip you some up pretty nice as well. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 4:20pm
I wouldn't epoxy the glass together, the silicone has some flex to it that is needed. You can call and ask the shop guys at beehive glass how well that worked for them, Lets just say they had a total tank failure.

Edited by Aquarium Creations - February 19 2014 at 4:24pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 6:40pm
I'm building a 120 gal, 48x24x24.  The glass is 1/2 inch, however I can get thicker in needed, at least for the bottom.  The flex makes sense, I will stick with silicon.

I can't find any full length boxes on glass holes, I might be able to make my own if I could find some plans or diagrams.  It seems pretty popular to make your own stand, but tanks diagrams/plans aren't as plentiful, I will keep looking.

Thanks!!
That's what she said!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 6:45pm
No expert here, but I'd bet a rimless tank probably need 5/8 inch glass.    My 150 is framed glass top and bottom and is made from 1/2 inch materials.  Something I would look into if it were me. 
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 6:48pm
1/2 is fine for a 120 rimless but that is the cut off.
[email protected]

omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:08pm
I will double check the gauge, the front and the sides are likely 1/2 inch, I can get and will likely have thicker for the bottom and back.  I take it they don't make after market rims?
That's what she said!
omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:33pm
So I have 1/2 inch Starphire glass I am planning on using for the front and sides, right now it's 50 inches by 48 inches, I am planning on cutting it on the waterjet down to 3 sheets one at 48x24 and two 24x24. 

I'm wondering if there is someone out there that would be interested in trading the Starphire for a reef ready tank 100 gallon or more?  Has anyone heard of that?

The bottom and sides are non-tempered glass, I'm still looking at what we have in stock that they will let me have at a decent price, the stuff we have is very thick, normally 5/8 to 1 inch, the 1/2 is probably the thinnest we have for what we do.
That's what she said!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:02pm
Glass thickness isn't determined from gallons. Going 24" tall with 1/2" glass a at 48" long is below the desired safety factor 7:1. I would recommend 5/8" thick glass for 48x24x24. Thickness of glass is determined by height and width of the aquarium, the taller you go, the more pressure towards the bottom.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:11pm
I know some of the biggest names in aquariums, Building 120 with 1/2, Leemar, Reef Savy,my Reef creation,Age, as well as us, I would dare to say 1/2 is pretty safe if built correctly. We were also referencing dimensions for the gallons.

Edited by Aquarium Creations - February 20 2014 at 10:27pm
[email protected]

omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 12:15pm
Would it be best then to go down to 48x18 to play it safe?
That's what she said!
torsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 3:11pm

make your rim out of glass ! " Euro brace " it and go big !             

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 11:44am
if you want it done right and the silicone job to be perfect, no bubbles, etc, get Eric to build it.  His builds are primo.

Mac
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
omj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 2:18pm
I like the Euro Bracing, that looks nice!  At this point I am probably looking for someone who will build it for me, I would provide the glass and silicone if I have to, then just pay for labor, anyone out there that is trusted enough to build it that would do that?

Either that or I can trade the glass for a tank or partial trade, the glass can be cut to any size, the starphyer is 50 inches by 48 inches, I will have it beveled and polished and holes cut with the waterjet so it will be accurate...

That's what she said!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 2:33pm
You know someone with a water jet?
Give me a call Kurt 801-637-6113
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic