Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update on Brad's Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on Brad's Tank
    Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:56am
Does anyone have any updates on Brad's tank cracking? I'm sure those that live closer know whats going on with it. If you have information on it can you please post it so that we can hear what happened and possibly avoid whatever caused this?

I still can't believe it happened but would love an update. Thanks! KrazieClown
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:59am
I'm sure Brad will share with us as soon as he is ready but I am anxious to know too!

Edited by Mike Savage - December 16 2013 at 10:59am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:07am
I can only imagine that there was some kind of an accident and something hit it or a rock fell or something. I just can't imaging it was glass that just mysteriously decided to crack. I sure hope he got stuff moved to other systems so it's safe.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:14am
Brad has so many friends including LFS that would be there on short notice that things should be covered as best they can. I would sure feel better hearing those words from him though . . 

Edited by Mike Savage - December 16 2013 at 11:16am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:17am
Agreed! Oh brad...... LOL
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 5:49pm
It's a short horrid story.    My front left seem started leaking about 10am last monday morning. My wife called me in a panic as I was about 15 miles away working. I was on my way home and called Randy Olsen, owner of MSM Aquatics in Centerville. He is a good friend of mine and He dropped everything and said he would be there right away. 
When I got home, Vickie had filled about 5 Oceanic buckets up with the spilling water.And I spelled her and as I did, Randy walked in.  We put 2 bar clamps on it and the leak stopped.
Randy went off to the store to buy 4 more bar clamps and when he got back I had mixed up enough saltwater mixed up that I added it back to the tank, and then we added 3 more bar clamps to make sure there were no stress points.
We made a plan to have some glass corner pieces made so we could secure the leak and that would be that. Everything was great, no leak and I went back to work, Randy went back to work and my wife Vickie went xmas shopping.
On her return an hour later, she waked into a catastrophie.
2/3 rds of my 300 gallons were all over the floor and it was now spraying out of the back corner. You can guess what panic was going on.
She called me and I called Randy and we went through the same deal EXCEPT, this time it was much worse.
A stress crack right in the back corner had run all the way across and up my back panel.
Needless to say It was a nightmare and we spent the rest of the night moving coral out into a makeshift hospital tanks and the fish stayed in the bottom 7 inches of water in my tank. I moved a couple of vortech down for circulation and placed a heater in the tank for heat. Other than that there was no time for anything else to do that night.
I'll tell the rest of the story tomorrow night.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 7:32pm
Good place to stop. My stomach is sick just from that much.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Good place to stop. My stomach is sick just from that much.
Oh, man that is for sure . . .Ouch

Edited by Mike Savage - December 16 2013 at 8:15pm

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:09am
I can't even imagine how horrible this would be to have happen... I don't think I would be fixing the tank if it had been me; I'd probably be selling everything off and calling it quits. Let's hear it for Brad for not giving up! Clap
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:48am
Yeah, keep with it, too much talent to lose. Anything we can do to help?

Fat
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:04am
I'm so sorry Brad, that sounds horrible!

A few years back my parents tank did almost the exact same thing. It was a Lee Mar 225 gallon tank and the right corner began to split away from the tank and spill on the floor. He got it figured out and all is well but I can't help think it could of been much worse and you've confirmed my fears.

These kind of things are the most gut wrenching in the hobby but I'm sure you'll get it figured out and all working again. 

Good luck man!

Edited by Sculpin - December 17 2013 at 4:54pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 4:36pm
This sucks rocks my friend. Kathy told me about it the other day when she was here. I'm glad Randy was available to do his awesomeness. Let me know what I can do to help.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 8:16pm
Brad my heart goes out to you my friend....I'm so sorry

Linn
Pay it forward...
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 8:40pm
I am so sorry to hear this, your tank was amazing it makes me sick. Was this the same tank that was repaired once before? Was it repaired correctly?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 8:58pm
Ok Brad, I am ready for the rest of the story about how this is getting fixed and how Brads ocean is going to be better than ever! Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:20pm
OK, Tuesday came and I called Randy and we both agreed that the animals would be much better off at his shop where he and his employees could care for them and have the right water and temp and lights and all.  I had to work that day and so did he and his employees, but at 4:30 pm I got home and 15 minutes later 4 of his guys pulled up in two vans and 5 coolers and about 4 empty fish boxes more salt water, and most important a very nice attitude,. They understood my current situation amd were putting in overtime for me and my animals. Back at the shop Randy was busy clearing out a whole bank of his tanks just to get ready for my coral and fish.

We spent the next 5 hours bagging fish and coral. Besides using all of their boxes and coolers, we had to use 5 of my own coolers to get all the livestock back safe to MSM

We had to get the rest of the rock out to catch the fish and and the poor guy that was reachingdown into my tank was sore I'm sure the next day.
Once one van was full, it left and then we filled the next van up and they finally got out of hear a bit before 10 pm.
The whole time the vans were here, Randy had them leave them running so to keep the inside warm.
About 11:30pm, Randy text me saying, All the fish and coral were put to bed and doing fine but a stressed out.  The fish weren't the only ones stressed out. I called it a night.
More tomorrow.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:31pm
Some pictures I took.

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:36pm
Ok, I'm sick again! Must get some sleep.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 6:57am
Words escape me. I am heartsick and it isn't even my tank. . . 

Edited by Mike Savage - December 18 2013 at 6:57am

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 7:40am
Exactly^^^^^^^^^^^!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic