Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New baby Cardinal fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scubaparrot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubaparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New baby Cardinal fish
    Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:08am
I got a surprise while cleaning my tank this morning. I discovered 2 baby cardinal fish. I have a pair of adults but had no idea they were breeding. I have no idea whether they will survive. The only other tank mates are a diamond gobie, a clownfish, and garden eels. Does anyone have any advice to give to help these guys.

Thanks.

Edited by scubaparrot - May 15 2013 at 11:24am
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:06pm
Pretty cool when you leave home for a biz trip and you find your your cardinals have babies. Anyone have any input on keeping them alive?
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 12:20am
You can raise them on newly hatched Brine Shrimp.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 7:50am
Newly hatched brine shrimp, then later on cyclopeeze

Can you move them to their own tank? If not, I would get one of those 'net breeders' they sell for freshwater livebearing fish and hang that in your tank and put the cardinal babies inside the net breeder

The reason for this is that the food needs to be somewhat available for the cardinal fry to get at

Trying to feed them in a large tank setting either means pouring a ton of baby brine in your main tank (and risking fouling the water) or having the babies in a smaller water volume.

I've raised these before. Here's a link to an old Seastar article I did on it:

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubaparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the info. I have another question. I found 3 babies. I think he spit them out prematurely when I scared him cleaning the tank because I am pretty sure he has more still in his mouth. I read other posts where the people said they could clearly see the babies when he opened his mouth close to release time. My male barely opens his mouth and I can barely see the babies.   My question is...were you able to clearly see the babies in his mouth before release or did you have to look hard to see if they were still in there? I'm trying to figure out how close to release of the others we might me.
Thanks
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 1:07pm

I could not always see the babies in there.

Does his mouth still look like he has something in it?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubaparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 4:42pm
His mouth is still protruding and if I look hard I can see 1 or 2 babies inside. I read that the first hatchings can be fewer in number so it might just be a small batch. The female still acts protective and the make doesn't eat.   He doesn't seem to do the yawning behavior some people wrote about.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 12:18pm
Made a fake urchin for the cardinal fish and put it in the tank last night.  Babies are getting bigger in his mouth, I'm starting to see eyes looking out consistently now.  This morning there was a baby cardinal in the urchin.  He still has more in his mouth.  First babies were definitely premature.  This baby is much larger and more developed, he actually looks like a miniature cardinal where the first 3 did not.  I believe the baby is eating a bit but it's hard to tell.

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 8:15am
Very Cool!

I would be interested in purchasing a trio from you down the road if you have success rearing them to sub adulthood!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic