Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I picked up a used 180 gallon tank!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I picked up a used 180 gallon tank!
    Posted: August 09 2009 at 1:11am

I'm so excited to get this running but I'm trying to take it slow and do it right. So far I have removed the old silicone and the overflows. I'm still working on cleaning off the gunk from the overflows and plan on reusing these.

Tomorrow I will start with a thorough cleaning of the remaining silicone. Then I can prep the tank and apply fresh silicone.
I'm going to wait to add the overflows until I can do the plumbing and that will have to wait until I build the stand and figure out what I'm doing for a sump/fuge. Hopefully within a week I'll have all that figured out.

Edited by MadReefer - August 09 2009 at 11:26pm
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 1:27am
cool sounds fun I wish I was doing a build after seeing all the recent build theads

Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 10:48pm
Awesome good luck!
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 11:17pm
It's amazing how many hours it takes to clean the old silicone off when it just takes a few minutes to apply new. I hope it holds.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 2:43pm
I built the stand. My past stands have been over built and I hope that this one is strong enough because I made it much lighter this time. Do you think it will be strong enough?

I also made a run to get rock and sand so I'm ready to work on the plumbing and water test. Hopefully I'll be to that point within a week.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 4:30pm
I'd really like to try a tank that size but I am in the middle of 2 other projects right now and my wife would shoot me if I even think about another one before her basement gets finished.LOL

Are you going to build a frame around the top of the stand for the tank to sit on or will it just sit on the stand as is? It should be OK as long as the edges of the tank sit squarely on top of the existing frame but it doesn't give you much wiggle room. If it were me I would either place a piece of plywood over the top of the stand or build a frame out of 2x4's or 6's just for piece of mind.

Good luck witht the project. I think building a tank is more fun than looking at the finished product.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:13pm
Well, I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV. I do hope it is strong enough but I wouldn't trust it. I would be afraid that with any side loading it would colapse to the side or that the tank will drop through the center.

I do hope someone knowledgeable tells me I am wrong though.

Mike

BHYDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHYDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:21pm
I agree with Mike.  I wouldn't risk it in my house.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 6:52pm
I thought the same thing about a stand I saw a at petsmart. But I don't think they could sell something that was going to fail. I used about the same design. It is also like the stands they sell at LFS although they are painted black. Anyone else have an opinion? I could always add to it even though it feels solid enough. I think I could stand on any part that will support the tank and jump up and down without breaking it.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 7:29pm
A 180 gallon tank with water, sand and rock could weigh up to 2000 lbs. You might want to try standing on it with a couple buddies. I know what you mean about some of the cheaply made stands though.

Mike

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 7:37pm
Jumping actually creates a lot of force in a small area compaired to something spread out sitting there, and that is why I thought of that. But I'm no engineer so I don't know. I guess I could ask my brother, he is a civil engineer.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:18pm
My brother says he couldn't know without running the numbers but that it looks a little light. So I don't know what I'm going to do. I wish Dion would give me his opinion.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:30pm
I bet it would be ok, sept if it where me I would add a lip on the bottom inside and a lip to the top to make it more secure/secure looking =) as of now it reminds me of one of those art statues that makes you wonder how they balance with out falling over =)
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 11:54am
I've decided to add one more layer of strength for peace of mind. Thanks for all your input.
GoneBallistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneBallistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 7:31pm
those look like 1x4s on the left side,  those are too light for the weight you are going to put on it.  if they bow at all, you'll torque the stand and down she goes.

needs more support.

can't wait to see how it goes together
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 10:22pm
I've added more 1x4s to the 1x12s, 1x6s, and 1x4s that were already there. Crappy pic with the cell phone is all I could get at the moment.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 12:00am
Yeah Id trust that
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 1:41am
I didn't see this till now. I'm pretty sure I gave my opinion through a pm .......first of the week/end of last. Ill double check.  Any way It looks like what it is. With good structural bracing it could be fine. But I'm a chicken and refuse to build anything that size with out a framed support inside. Overkill? probably. But you've never heard of one of our stands collapsing. Unfortunately it also increases the cost of the stands. More lumber and more labor. Its a hard balance.

Couple of questions. Did you glue ALL of the seams/joints together? And if you did, Did you keep the stand square while building it. Ive actually seen stands that are leaning once finished. Guaranteed leakers. If you did not glue it all then please DO NOT put a tank on it. IT would be a ticking time bomb.

Remember its just my opinion.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 2:04am
I used a lot of glue in the first build. When I added the outer support today I used liquid nails. I was thinking of adding screws in a few choice spots just to make sure. It is pretty square but not perfect. Corner to corner the top is only off 1/8 inch. This wood has the rustic look and easy to work with without a full shop and is solid wood. My wife likes the look also. So it has some good points. But if I was to start over, I would build it differently. I always have a hard time working with wood in half assed woodshops after working for a few years in a full shop. Lack of tools is a b**ch. 180 gallons of water would be a lot to have all over the floor so I hope it holds.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 10:41am
It sounds solid. Make SURE when you set it up that you shim that 1/8 out of it. If its not perfect you run a great chance of popping a seam or worse having a pane of glass failing due to the stress.

Full shops are awesome. But awful expensive to set upWink
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic