Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic to biuld overflows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic to biuld overflows
    Posted: July 29 2009 at 7:38pm
I would like to know where you can get the black plastic to build some overflow boxes any one know were I can find it thanks
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 7:45pm
Delvies in south slc. email them your cut list, pay by CC and pickup, couldnt be easier.

Edited by thefu - July 29 2009 at 7:46pm
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 9:33pm
whats the email
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 9:35pm
delviesplastics.com
they will also ship the plastic to your door if you want to pay for the shipping instead of picking it up in person.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 10:42pm
Regional Supply in SLC has it to and will deliver incase delvies doesn't have it.
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:47pm
I like to use Black ABS plastic over Acrylic for overflows, it is less brittle.  1/4" Black ABS runs about $58 a sheet for a 96 x 48" sheet at Laird Plastics.
Kauai, Hawaii
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:29pm
I stopped buy delvies and they are only open form 9 - 2 for retail sales not good for me where is Regional and how late are they open 
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:32pm
Any one have some two pieces 24x6 and 2 pieces 24x4
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:08am
If you want to make your overflows out of Black ABS plastic, I have everything you need at my home in Eagle Mountain.  I even have the router jig for the overflows.

Kauai, Hawaii
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:31am
Those jigs are SWEET.

Just curious, how do (or can you even) burnish the edges inside those combs so you don't slice your fingers when pulling out the algae...not that this has ever happened to me... Embarrassed
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:45am
rdbrown that would be great where in eagle mountain are you I am in city center 
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:04am
I guess I don't know how you could cut your fingers on the ABS plastic when cleaning it out, it isn't sharp.  I will post a photo later showing the finished comb on the overflows.
Kauai, Hawaii
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:21am
Well I cut mine on the acrylic comb in my sump as I was pulling off hunks of hair algae and loose macro. I noticed afterward that the edges if the sump had been burnished in some fashion but the comb had not. The routed edges of the comb were razor sharp.
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 11:12am
You can use a deburring tool like the one below, or run a torch flame over it.  I don't like using acrylic for baffles / combs / overflows because of the brittleness of acrylic.  They are to easily bumped and teeth broken.  It is also easy to break the teeth just cutting out the teeth.  The ABS isn't brittle, has some flexibility to it, isn't sharp like the acrylic.

Kauai, Hawaii
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 11:37am
I use acrylic just for my overflow strainers just because it's cheap and easy but I make my cuts a little smaller than that pic and I make them not so close together so that they don't break so easily and if you torch the teeth it makes the edges not so sharp.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 12:05pm
ABS is about 1/2 the cost of acrylic.  That is another reason I use it.  I also like that it has a texture on one side.

Kauai, Hawaii
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 4:45pm
Those look like some nice tanks there, got anymore picsBig smile
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 6:03pm
I have a lot of pictures of tanks I have built.  Anything in particular you are looking for?

This one I just made the lid.

Kauai, Hawaii
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 10:21am
Beautiful work!

Mike

rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 4:30pm
Thanks
Kauai, Hawaii
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic