Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock & Sand Run?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 8:56pm
OK today is the 18th... the 22nd is 4 days away.

Is this a "go" for Saturday of not?

Whoever is in for Saturday the 22nd please respond so we can see if we have anyone or not... ?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 5:13am
i cant go on the weekends man sorry i work i was on vaca when this thread was started, i can go on tues or wed only. sorry but if yall do go i will pay someone to get me some :P

Ryan
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 3:18pm
I'm in.
Riverton_Ten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverton_Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 5:34pm
If there's someone going on the rock run who can pick up a bucket o' rock for me, I'd appreciate it. I could trade you DOUBLE the weight in PETRIFIED WOOD if anyone's interested in that (landscaping/lapidary stuff). I need rock for a 16H tank -- I only have sand and water in it. And two lonely hermit crabs. But lots of PETRIFIED WOOD (not so great for LR, I might add, but looks fabulous in fresh water tanks....)     
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 1:46am
The weather for Saturday is forecast to be Sunny around 50 degrees...

Perfect collecting weather!

Looking to meet up at the Salt Lake View area (I-80 Exit 101) around 10:30 AM

Rock site is at Exit 62

Sand is at Exit 84

Need to figure out who else is going

I will probably get more rock than I need (again) but I can't bring back enough extra for everybody that wants some...

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 1:10am
Obviously the pro's to Utah Rock is the price, What about the con's of Utah Rock. Has anybody had any failures with this local rock? I dont want to create any problems.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 10:35pm
 have sent several PMs to some interested in going... if you want to go we are meeting at the Salt Lake View site, I80 exit 101 at 10:30 AM. If you want to come please post your name,phone # and what color / type of vehicle you will be driving - so we know who to look for.

I will be driving a silver Kia SUV. My cell # is 836-7493...

- Bob

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 11:07pm
i would like to go but dont want to drive that far by myself so if anyone wants to go let me know i will be up at 630 am so give me a call i have a 4 door chevy pickup so i can drive and hall some rock in the back but i really dont need any just get it because i am there for my next tank #372 4965 john i will be coming from spanish fork
out with the large and in with the nano
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 8:58am
anyone from utah county going
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 3:37pm
Here are the results of yesterdays Rock & Sand run:

*** sorry; having problems uploading photos... will put them up ASAP ***

Edited by carlso63 - March 23 2008 at 3:46pm

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 9:38pm
well did you get any real nice peaces of rock
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 7:56am
The photo upload seems to finally be working again Clap

Here's my haul from Saturday's run -

Me and my boy bustin' up the LBTR... The weather was perfect for collecting

4 totes full of LBTR; each tote is over 100 lbs:

I would estimate close to 500 lb. of rock

Also went to Stansbury and picked up around 330 lb. of oolitic sand:

All in all, not bad for 2 hrs driving and 2 hours of work Wink

I already went to the car wash and pressure washed all the rock; the sand has been rinsed and is already in the tank (see "my 225 build thread" for details...)

Big%20smile

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:11am

It did look like a perfect day. It looks like you limited out!

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:21am
Yeah Mike, that little SUV of mine was loaded to the max for sure!

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 12:33pm
Bob,
Are ther GPS cordinates for that location? If not I guess I can call you. I might head out this weekend. That rock looks awesomeBig%20smile. I was bummed that I had to take my Durango in for new tires on that day. I have been working Saturdays so I had to take advantage of the one day off that I had.
nitrotmann View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrotmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 3:30pm
ALL--

My name is Jade Phelps.  I'm in the process of setting up a 6' 125 reef tank and I'd love to start it with some Lake Bonniville Tuffa Rock and what ever the best Utah sand it is that is used.  I've got about 75lbs of live argonite sand already in my 55gal tank that I will be using. 

I'm gonna need about 85 lbs of sand and about 100lbs of the Lake Bonniville Tuffa Rock for my honky little cause up here in the sticks.  Would anyone be willing to go for another Rock Run in the next month or so?  I've just got a 4-door ford focus to bring down there, but I'm not afraid of too many things.   I jsut don't know if it can get to the LBTR and Sand locations.  GPS coordinates would be good, like ^oprah said, lol.  Send me a phone number in a pm if talkin would be easier than typing.

If you have any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jade Phelps
Kuna, ID
Neighbooring IMAS Member

I'm typically a sarcastic ___hole, so hate me if you want...I'd be jealous too.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by DeepFriedOprah DeepFriedOprah wrote:

Bob,
Are ther GPS cordinates for that location? If not I guess I can call you. I might head out this weekend. That rock looks awesomeBig%20smile. I was bummed that I had to take my Durango in for new tires on that day. I have been working Saturdays so I had to take advantage of the one day off that I had.

Originally posted by nitrotmann nitrotmann wrote:

ALL--

My name is Jade Phelps.  I'm in the process of setting up a 6' 125 reef tank and I'd love to start it with some Lake Bonniville Tuffa Rock and what ever the best Utah sand it is that is used.  I've got about 75lbs of live argonite sand already in my 55gal tank that I will be using. 

I'm gonna need about 85 lbs of sand and about 100lbs of the Lake Bonniville Tuffa Rock for my honky little cause up here in the sticks.  Would anyone be willing to go for another Rock Run in the next month or so?  I've just got a 4-door ford focus to bring down there, but I'm not afraid of too many things.   I jsut don't know if it can get to the LBTR and Sand locations.  GPS coordinates would be good, like ^oprah said, lol.  Send me a phone number in a pm if talkin would be easier than typing.If you have any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated

I don't know the GPS coordinates but you really don't need them... for the rock you get off I-80 at Exit 62 (Lakeside / Military Area) and go right (towards the Military Area) on the Frontage Road, maybe 1/4 mile. Out your right window you should see a dirt trail that leads right up the hill / incline. Just drive up that to the plateau at the top and you're there... the LBTR is sticking right up out of the ground on outcroppings; you can't miss it..

The only "catch" is that incline is way steep and you will need 4WD to get up it... I would definitely not try it in a Focus... of course, you could leave your car at the bottom of the hill and go up with someone else and just bring your stuff down in their truck and then transfer it to your car if you wanted to... first time we went one guy had a 2WD pickup and he couldn't make it up the trail - so beware...

The sand is off of Exit 84 (Grantsville) but you go northwest on the road (not towards the Grantsville sign) following the train tracks onto Stansbury Island. At the first big intersection make a left to go straight north and you will see the sand dunes on your right side maybe 2 - 3 miles in. If you go on a weekend you will see ATVers all around the dunes. Just pull into the dune area maybe 500 feet, park your 4WD (again, cars might get stuck in the sand) and walk up and over the first dune (there is a trail here, too) maybe 200 feet to the "fresh" sand area. Fill your bucket(s) and walk them back down to your vehicle.

That's pretty much it.  I would just suggest going as a group so you can help each other carry stuff - those totes I filled were easily over 100 lb each - probably 130 - 140 lbs each Shocked... I'm a big strong dude so I could handle it, but having a 2nd person to help lift them sure makes things easier, trust me I was waaay tired by the end of that day...Thumbs%20Up

Edited by carlso63 - March 24 2008 at 6:00pm

nitrotmann View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrotmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the info carlso63.  Might you be a body that could be talked into helpingWink?

The only other way for me to afford to do this would be to make myself some agrocrete DIY style.  The pits with that is I'd still need some sand.  Maybe I could make the agrocrete and someone traveling up to the IMAS reef tour here could bring the sand???

I'm typically a sarcastic ___hole, so hate me if you want...I'd be jealous too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic