Topic ClosedJanuary 2008 Meeting Recap and pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Topic: January 2008 Meeting Recap and pics
    Posted: January 03 2008 at 10:49pm
Date: 1/03/08    Attendance: Over 100 adults!!!!

This club meeting was a super success!!!!  Thanks to everyone pitching in with corals, great local store sponsors, fraggers, and people with money in hand, we raised some much needed funds for the club.  This will certainly help us to bring in more world class speakers and produce some great meetings in the next few months.  We started the night with 55 paid members (which is amazing for starting a new year) and sold another ~28 memberships (around 40 membership total this week!  Way to go everyone! 
We over filled the parking lot, and that was something to complain about.  By 7:00pm we had overflow parking into the park and the high school, our largest turnout in a year. 

Club Announcements
Thanks to so many coral donors!!!!  We had several club members (around 15) donate corals for the meeting.  Plus some stores kicked with donations including The Aquarium, Aquatic Dreams, BST Aquatics, Fish 4 U, Reef Kingdom.
Tank of the Month
This month we featured Greg Wilke (PinnerReef).  This tank is an 8 gallon corner pentagon.  What is most unusual is that Greg built the tank himself (he previously worked in the glass business).  It was great to see what can be done with some imagination, especially in only 8 gallons.
Coral Corals Corals
We had 6 corals for a silent auction.  These corals were picked out as the best corals that we just couldn't bring ourselves to frag. 
We had three corals used for demonstrations.  They included mushrooms, finger leather, and a tilesaw used to cut up a moon coral. 
There were hundreds, yes hundreds of coral frags for sale.  These frags were labled with a two letter symbol (like NN for Neon Nephthea) to help make buying easy.  Also, they were color coordinated for sps, lps, and softies. 
Thanks to the Aquaterrial Education Station for allowing us to use their place for all the prep work.  And boy was there some prep work.  Lets start by mixing up 50 gallons of water.  Then transporting some of that from West Jordan to Centerville.  Have you ever taken 100 frag bags and 100 rubberbands and said "here we go."?  Think your hands are sore from trying rubberbands, that is nothing compared to coral and invert stings.  This year a few people were wearing gloves, although not the main fragger himself (Shane H).  After Jake's trip to the InstaCare last year from a fireworm incident you'd think Shane H would be more careful. 
For several days leading up to the event corals were being collected (Thanks Sukie!) and plan were made on how best to run the show.  It took 7 people 5 hours to get all the prefragging done.  Thanks to Shane H, Will, Jamison, Adam, Jake, Shane S, Corey for giving up a day to do this. 
Next Month
Next month we'll feature Dr. Fred Lipschultz as our special banquet speaker.  Currently we have about 15 tickets remaining.  Please paypal $20 per ticket to the club if you are interested in going.

Adam

Shane Heil cutting the frags.

Will and Jamison bagging away.

With Silcox the full team in production.

Jake works his magic with a hammer and screwdriver. 

The tables at the meeting with frags just waiting for hobbyists (one of the big perks to joining about any hobbyist club).

Packed house.  I couldn't get a good photo of everyone, or a good photo of the screen.  So this is an inbetween photo.  Notice on the slide that Heil is thanking and listing all of the wonderful stores who donated to our event.

Edited by Adam Blundell - January 05 2008 at 2:43pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Sitaga View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 11:12pm
YAY for frags!!  Thanks everyone!
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 12:42am
It was an awesome turn out!

Mike

griffith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 6:48am
Good Stuff!
Linn
superman1981 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 8:55am
Sounds like an awesome meeting!  I wish I could have made it.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
reptoreef View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 9:26am
Terrific time... thanks go to the WMAS and all supporting individuals, stores, and vendors. My reef looks like a porcupine with all of the new fragsThumbs%20Up
www.captivereefing.com
larhalli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 9:43am
Thanks for the recap Adam, It is nice to know what went on behind the scenes.  Yes the parking was awful and I did see a cop out there.  Maybe we need to carpool if the meetings keep getting a larger turnout.  I did however take five bags of new stuff home for my tanks.  We will have to see how they do.  Thanks to the presidency for all they do.  I love this club.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 9:47am
Thanks for the recap Adam, It is nice to know what went on behind the scenes. 
You'll probably be seeing these every month.  Please tell us what other info would be nice to include.  For all I know that behind the scenes stuff was boring to read.
Adam
larhalli View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 9:56am
It may be boring to some but it makes me appreciate all that you guys and gals in the presidency do even more.  I am sure that most people do not realize what it takes to put on a frag meeting like that.  Thanks again. 
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 4:08pm
I think I got some polys from Reefkingdom!  I'm going to post pictures of them tonight.Thumbs%20Up
bbauman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Thanks for the recap Adam, It is nice to know what went on behind the scenes. 
You'll probably be seeing these every month.  Please tell us what other info would be nice to include.  For all I know that behind the scenes stuff was boring to read.
Adam

LOL I was about to recommend that this type of "summary" be put up after every meeting. I thought it was a great idea, Adam. Thanks!
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 12:58am
It was another great meeting and very worth while to everyone who attended. There was great information, frags, new friends, old friends, good food and great presentations!Clap

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 12:58pm
Pics have been added.
Adam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 1:18pm
Great pictures!

Mike