Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can’t this be easy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Manofcichlids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why can’t this be easy?
    Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:49pm
Okay, so I got my 75g reef going...the rock and all...waited a few weeks with the whole thing running and added a few chromis...and a xenia...well...suddenly the entire tank is full of this brown algae...the rocks are COVERED in this purple algae with bubbles all over it...almost everything has died...and it's clowdy!

...should I give up? It's probably the ugliest tank I've ever seen!
Fish keeping is healthy until the fish start talking back
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:58pm
Will you describe the entire setup? What are your water parameters if you have had it tested?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:08am
I have a 75g tank drilled with a 20L for a sump with a filter sock and more than half the tank is divided for a refugium where I have about 5" of live sand and caulerpa. I have a G1 skimmer and a Rio 1700 for the return.

In the tank I have two 65w PCs and two HO T5s

I have not tested my water...I'll send some water with the GF to take to work tomorrow to be tested.

It was all doing fine...then in 48 hrs the WHOLE thing just turned ugly.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:24am
It's somewhat normal for a new tank to go through a diatom bloom (soft brown bubblely alage).  It will pass in a few weeks.  The purple slimey bubbley algae is cyanbacteria.  It too will pass.  These "cycles" don't occur until you add a bioload.  An ammonia spike probably did your fish in.  Get rid of the xenia if it's gone soft and falling apart.  Sand and rock from other established tanks will help quicken your cycling.  The first couple months are the hardest, ime.  From there it's all downhill.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:25am

This could be fairly typical or at least to be expected, but since we don't know how you set it up, it's hard to say. One thing I can say for sure is that you do not have 5" of LS or this would not have happened. In fact there is no way that you could have 5" of LS. I don't need the water tested to know what has happened.

I would recommend that you call me so we can discuss how to get it on a good track. Okay, so if you don't call me, I'll say this. Turn on your Refugium lights 24/7, take some macroalgae from the refugium and place it in the main tank. Get more macroalgae if you can. You are welcome to visit me to get more macroalgae. In a few days, depending on it's progress, buy about 20 margarita snails and a few Hermits. Then wait and watch for it to recover within 3-7 days. Still, I strongly suggest that you call me as soon as you read this.

Okay, so you are offline already. So how much rock and what kind? I will bet that you needn't have waited for weeks to introduce fish and Xenia. Waiting simply delayed the result. I would not have suggested Xenia for a first coral.

Please call me. The number below is my cell phone. I could have told you how to set up the tank where this would not have happened. I can also help you avoid other problems that are still ahead.  

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:42am
Okay, how is it not possible to have 5" of live sand? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:59am
Are you saying it's impossible for me personally to have 5" of live sand or that nobody personally can have 5" of live sand? 

Edited by InfiniteScales
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 1:20am

I'm certain there is no way this algae bloom could have happened if you had even just an inch of real LS.

Perhaps we are not understanding each other. Where did you get 5" of LS and what kind of LS is it? If it is 5" of CaribSea Aragalive, then that explains the algae problem.

If it is from a healthy, currently running tank, then that much LS would need to be partially cleaned. Disturbing that much LS would lead to this kind of a problem.

It's late, but I still welcome your call.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 1:29am
I got a bunch of live sand from the show tanks at The Aquarium and quite a bit from Suzy as well...this was about two weeks ago. What do you mean by partially cleaned? I just put it in the tank and it's been fine...until this recent algae bloom.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 11:36pm

Your topic line asks "Why can't this be easy?"

I'm going to make this plain and simple. Perhaps you should find a different hobby. This one requires you to think, to investigate and to personally discuss things with people. I asked you several times to call me so I could help you. I still haven't heard from you so, I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your requests. It's that easy.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:02am
Mark you would make a great Pirate.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:34am

Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

Mark you would make a great Pirate.

LOL! .. No .. Mark just tells you how it is ...

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:36am
No doubt.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:09am
Maybe you should call Jfinch! He is giving great advice without insulting
you!

What if you add some macro? I would love to share some!

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:55pm

I dont think that was Marks intent ...

Mark can come off a little harsh at times .. but I tell you what ... if I have a problem with my tank .. he is the first one I call ...

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:03pm

If I have offended anyone, please forgive me.   I sometimes try too hard to help. I actually kind of feel compelled to share my experience so that others will not have to learn everything the hard way. And since my help and my opinions are freely given, I myself can become offended when the offer is refused. (I'm working on that one.)

I do also become frustrated when hobbyists go off and do silly things on their own or follow the advice, however well intentioned, of uninformed onlookers.

Again, please forgive me for being harsh and for causing offense where none was intended.

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:08pm
Wow!  That wasn't a little harsh.  That was plenty harsh.  There is no reason and no excuse to be not civil to one another.  I personally WOULD NOT allow anybody to talk to me that way!  Like I said before, I have great respect for Mark for his generosity and knowlege; but that respect just went way down!

The author of the post have undoubtedly lots of experiences in freshwater fish husbandry and now is taking a new step in the saltwater realm.  I'm sure he thinks, investigates and does discuss problem with peopel (why else would he initiated this post).  Did you take it personal Mark because he didn't call you up?

As JFinch stated, new tanks tend to cycle several times.  I'm sure this is one of those  cycles.  It sounds like you did everything right.  Sometimes a bit of patience is all that it takes.  Just keep up with the water change and let it ride out.  Don't give up!  Things like this just make the hobby more challenging and thus more interesting.

If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
jbutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:15pm
I'd be glad to help.  How should you know everything if you've only been in the hobby for a month?  The algae bloom is normal.  Hermit crabs love the brown  algae.  If you don't have very many, get some more, they'll help a ton.  I would say 50 is a good number for a 75 gallon.  Also, give your tank some more time.  I know it's hard, but patience is important in this hobby.  

Edited by jbutler
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:31pm

I'm sorry.

Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:38pm

Enough of the whining!  

I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic