Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:53am

Lyscer-
Good questions.  It is best to feed the corals when their polyps are out.  Most corals feed at night.  However most hobbyists feed during the day, and "train" their corals to eat during the day.
I like having my pumps on during feeding, I think it helps to push the food around until it hits a coral.  With the pumps off the food just settles somwhere in the rocks.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 1:37pm

Lyscer-

I agree with Adam, but let me add one thing.  You may want to turn off your skimmer (providing you have one), for a short period of time.  This also goes for your hang on the back filter system as these take the food out of the water column.  IMO if you maximize the time the food is in the tank more filter feeders can have seconds and thirds!  Maybe you could even add less per dose.

That being said I often get lazy and just throw alot of phyto, oyester eggs, cyclop-eze or marine snow into the tank without shutting down the skimmer.

John

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:22pm
There is some talk about SPS and eating cyclopeeze versus rotifers.  One thing to note is that cyclopeeze is in the 500-800 micron range and most rotifers we grow are in the 70-350 micron range.  perhaps its the size difference that stimulates feeding response?

while i have seen my SPS eat cyclopeeze before they clearly capture this food called "cyclops" that i got at marine aquatics that is 100-300 microns in size and also contains freshwater cyclops just like cyclopeeze.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 5:48pm
Is cyclopeeze a FW organism? And "cyclops"?
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:13pm
The package for cyclop-eeze says is 700-800 micron in size.

The stuff I got from Marine Aquatics is called "Cyclops" and is mad eby H20 life.  it is just frozen cyclops as well but they claim its "phytoplankton enriched for coloration and complete nutrition" whatever that means.  they claim the average size is 200-400 microns.

when unfrozen you can see that it really is just the frozen cyclops organisms, there might be some other stuff mixed in there too that i couldn't identify though.

basically its 1/3 the size of cyclop-eeze.  i find my corals have a much easier time finding it, but its on the verge of being too small for my fish to see/like.  they obviously prefer cyclop-eeze.

Edited by dnellans
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:01pm
Actually, cyclop-eeze is a saltwater decapod organism that is grown and harvested in the artic.  It is rich in natural attractant and pigment.  People have been using it to feed fish to keep their color.
When you feed cyclopeeze, you can see the individual pods in the water.  EVERY fish goes crazy for these guys, even pipefish.

http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/product_info.php

The freshwater cyclops might just be good ol' daphnia.

If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:02pm
hmmmm,   i googled a bit and there seems to be some debate on the net about what it really is...  its too bad their website doesn't show up when you google on the front page =/

just look at the first few links if you type in cyclopeeze, one is entitled "freeze dried cyclops".

the argent link clearly shows what they claim it is,  perhaps its time to check one out under the microscope...  this statement on the website (man is there a lot there) has me a little wierded out though, a little x-files esque

"CYCLOP-EEZE® are a selectively bred, biologically engineered microorganism which are cultured in a pristine arctic lake."
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:05pm

Does sound a little weird

Rocky Phillips
Hill AFB, Utah

Currently Tankless :(

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:23am
I feel better knowing it is marine...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic