Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MH distance above water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How high do you keep your MHs above your water surface?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.71%]
18 [64.29%]
5 [17.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MH distance above water
    Posted: December 06 2007 at 3:17pm
I have been experimenting with different heights of my lights and am wondering what everyone else does with theirs!

I saw ssilcox's post where Adam said to use submerged lighting, but I just don't think I could pull that one off Smile
Pleasant Grove
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 3:20pm
I put down submerged just to be an idiot.  But when I did have mh I kept it about 12-18" above my tank.  Now I have superior t5 and don't have to worry about this anymore Wink
60g LPS Cube
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 3:59pm
I kept mine 9" from bulb to water. This was far enough to avoid splashes and still give a good light spread.

Mike

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 4:34pm
I keep mine a little higher 12"-18".  (can't remember for sure, but enough I can reach in the tank and not hit my head on them)  When I had them close , within 9", there was too much heat transfer, got my tank up to 80 deg on some days.  Now my tank stays within 5deg between day and night.  A nice cool 71-76deg.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by shaggydoo shaggydoo wrote:

I put down submerged just to be an idiot.  But when I did have mh I kept it about 12-18" above my tank.  Now I have superior t5 and don't have to worry about this anymore Wink

Hey shaggy:

Is "superior t5" some new kind of t5 lighting...?

I mean I've heard of "regular old, kind of almost as good as MH - but without the natural ocean 'shimmer' look" t5... I think we all have heard of that kind of t5 lighting...

but "superior t5"... I've never come across that kind yet  Wink

LOLLOLLOL
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 7:09pm
Some people just don't see the light.

Mike

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 12:36pm

LOL Mike you are completely right. 

If you haven't come across superior t5 you haven't seen an all t5 tank that was done right Wink
60g LPS Cube
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 1:13pm
8'' from water surface for me.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 1:18pm
Can I hijack just for a sec?  What about t5 or PC lighting?  Is there a general rule on placement of them?
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 1:35pm
As close as you can and still avoid splashing. I would say 4"

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 1:37pm
Yikes! If that's the case, my (T5s) are way to high up!
Pleasant Grove
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:32pm
I agree.  With NO, HO, VHO, T5, PC the closer the better.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:47pm
How would you suggest lowering T5 fixtures that are screwed into the top of a canopy?  
Pleasant Grove
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:50pm

Hang them from a cable or add a block that you can screw into lower on the canopy.  My plan is to cut holes in the side of the canopy for air flow in my T5 fixture.  From these holes I should be able to add a block that can support the fixture from the bottom.  I would much rather mount from the top, but I'll take what I can get!

Sorry for the hijack!
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:51pm
I have mine screwed to the top of the canopy.  They produce more than enough light to still grow sps and a clam on my sandbed.  Really no need to lower them at all, at least in my case
60g LPS Cube
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:53pm
How many T-5 Bulbs are in your canopy?  What kind of light is it? Length?
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:54pm
It doesn't really seem like a hijack, it's the same basic idea Smile  Maybe light height would be a good variable for the xenia science fair project hehe
Pleasant Grove
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 3:05pm
I hijack all the time... especially when I can plug t5 LOL

I have 8 bulbs in my canopy.  48".  1 URI superactinic, 1 URI 75/25 combo, 2 tru Blues (ATI I believe), 2 ge 6.5k, 1 12k and 1 13k.  All on individual Tek reflectors.
60g LPS Cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 9:36pm
New question... same topic. Why do the MHs belong up higher than the T5s?  Is it because of the heat they put off?
Pleasant Grove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 9:37pm
Heat and light spread.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic