Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Fishies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Fishies
    Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:12pm

OK, I admit I am new to this hobby and dont fully understand the purchasing of SW fish so I have to ask this question.

I bought 2 small fish the other day at $13 a pop and took them home. The first died within 2 days and the second died about 4 days in. I took them back to the shop I purchased them from expecting they would have some type of 5 day, 7 day guarantee. To my dismay, I was told sorry, we do not guarantee our fish.

This was interesting to me as I walked over to the tank the fish came out of and there were 2 left and sure enough 1 was dead. So my question is, do most shops not guarantee their SW fish? Second, even when is apparent that the shop owner cant even keep them alive?

Thanks,

ELWOOD

Edited by Elwood
We've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:13pm

I don't think any store guarantees their salt water fish.  The fact is that 90% of them don't live two weeks.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:58pm
Just beacuse you see dead fish there at the shop dose not mean they don't know what they are doing. SF are hard to ship most of the time, same with coral. With newer and newer things coming out to help with shipping and the life of our pets it is still not the best yet. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes it is something we do wrong. But I do know that our LFS work very hard on the health and well being of our fish and corals, I know of just a few who really go out of thier way for me and anyone I have talked to, to help you out on any problems. if you would like thier numbers drop me a pm and I will let you know.
Elwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:05pm

Please do read the post the wrong way. As I said, I am new to this hobby and am learning things as I go. I was not saying that shop owners dont know what they are doing rather, becuase the fish I bought died and the fish in the store died that perhaps they were ill in the first place.

ELWOOD

05 Stang - GT Zoom, Zoom

We've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:25pm
Sometimes you can't tell if a fish is ill but a lot of times you can.  When ever I buy a fish I always ask how long they have had it.  I prefer at least a week.  I observe it very closely, looking at the eyes, fins, mouth. I make sure it does not look thin or gaunt. Make sure it is swimming ok.  Then if I like what I see, I ask them to feed it for me.  If it does not eat, I will not buy it, no matter what they say the reason is.  Even if you follow this process your fish will still sometimes die.  That is just the nature of the hobby.  If you can get the store to hold it for a week you will improve your chances.  Most stores will not garantee anything to do with salt water.  If you are a good customer sometimes they will cut you a break.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 3:35pm
Ask the store to hold it for you. Reputable stores will hold specimens for free or for a moderate deposit. Then observe the fish for a few days. When you're satisfied that all is well, take it home.
Elwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 3:40pm

Thanks Guys. Excellent advice. Especially the feeding.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 3:42pm

Most stores will teach you to a point as well. A lot of the stores have people just like you and me who deal with these problems day in and day out. what ever store your going to I would have them not only to hold the fish but have them pont you into some good reading. I have all ways said you can't have to many books in this hobby. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic