Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY skimmer...PIC INTENSIVE...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bobn4burton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY skimmer...PIC INTENSIVE...
    Posted: March 29 2005 at 1:20am
Hi all,

I decided to build me a skimmer.  This is the first skimmer I've ever built and even the first "real" skimmer I've owned.  I took my ideas from several sources (Euroreef, deltec, other DIY'ers, my own brainstorming).  I'll list some quick specs of the skimmer and then show a bunch of pictures of the whole build process (I'm showing a ton of pictures because I always like to see lots of peoples pictures...so if you don't want to see all the pictures then just scroll to the end )

Skimmer Specs:

Reaction body:  6" extruded acrylic tubing 18" tall
Pump:  Ocean Runner 2700 (2700=2500+needlewheel impeller)
Air intake:  DIY venturi on Recirculating pump
Riser tube:  2.75" riser tube about 3.5" tall
Skimmer total height:  25" tall

OK, now on to the pictures...

This first picture is one of all my supplies before getting started:

I decided that I wanted a slanted skimmer neck to transition from skimmer body to riser tube.  This should help with bubble travel from body to riser.  To do this I simply heat up a disc of acrylic in the kitchen oven and formed my reducer.

Here are two pieces of plywood I used to sandwich the acrylic while heating:

You can see the 5.75" holes I cut in the plywood for the forms.  This next picture shows the acrylic "sandwich" cooking in the oven:

I then used the tubing reserved for my riser tube to push the acrylic into my shape as seen below:

Here is a picture of the finished reducer after thermo-forming:

I then cut a hole in the thermo-formed reducer and glued my riser tube on:

I then started working on the body.  Here shows the holes in the body for pipe inlets/outlets:

And this pic shows the flange used to fasten the collection cup assembly to the body being glued to the body:

The next part that I worked on was the ventui.  It was quite simple really, just an airtube pushed tightly into a Tee with a hole cut in the airtube for air to be pulled into the water stream and into the pump.

Here are a couple pics of the venturi:

I then worked on the collection cup and keyholes to fasten the collection cup assembly to the body.  Here are a few pics of the process:

Now all the parts were about done.  I actually flipped the pump backwards from the way you'd normally see the deltec or ER recirculating skimmers.  This gave me better airflow into the body because the venturi inlet was a good 4-5 inches higher and so it had less backpressure on it.  Here is a pic of the mounted pump:

And finally here is a pic of the finished product:

And a couple shots when I was testing it in a tub of tankwater:

These two foaming pics were taken immediately into the testing.  After running it for two days straight the skimmer started to "break-in" a little and it was actually foaming about 3 times as good but I didn't get pics of it then

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 1:25am
Oh...and as an FYI...

If anyone was interested in seeing how the pump could be mounted "normally" here is a pic.  I can actually change it either way with how its setup in about 15 seconds.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 2:20am

Pretty slick!

I especially like the "thermo-formed reducer". Great work.

joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:03am

I'm interested in knowing the build cost.  I'd like to do something like this but think the cost wouldn't be much less than a ASM or deltec skimmer.

Jody

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:55am

Awesome!  And I too like the thermoformed reducer.

Did you cut out the keyhole slots by hand?  With a dremel or router?

Are you getting a good seal using a full faced rubber gasket and 1/4" acrylic flanges?  I've had problems with that combination (the 1/4" acrylic flexes too much... 3/8 or 1/2" would work much better).  If you have problems look at using a large n-buna o-ring instead of the gasket.  I really like o-rings.

I want to build a recirculating skimmer too...

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:56am
Oh almost forgot.  How hot did you heat up the acrylic to form the reducer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:30am
Originally posted by joliverson joliverson wrote:

I'm interested in knowing the build cost.  I'd like to do something like this but think the cost wouldn't be much less than a ASM or deltec skimmer.

Jody

Cost really wasn't bad at all.  MUCH cheaper than buying one.  I spent about 35 dollars on all the acrylic and supplies relating to acrylic:  acrylic tubing and sheet, weld-on, applicator, etc.  I then spent 15 dollars on the Uniseals.  8 dollars on the telescoping 1 1/2" PVC fitting.  50 dollars on the Ocean Runner 2700 NW pump.  An probably about another 10-15 dollars in all the pvc fittings and misc stuff.

35 + 15 + 8 + 50 + 15 = $123

The skimmer I made compares to about the 800 dollar deltec.  Its hard to compare against a Euro-reef because they don't list a price for their recirculating skimmers that I've seen anyway.  Also hard to compare to ASM because they don't have a recirculating model that I'm away of.  But I'm sure you couldn't get a comparable skimmer for under 300.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:37am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Awesome!  And I too like the thermoformed reducer.

Did you cut out the keyhole slots by hand?  With a dremel or router?

Are you getting a good seal using a full faced rubber gasket and 1/4" acrylic flanges?  I've had problems with that combination (the 1/4" acrylic flexes too much... 3/8 or 1/2" would work much better).  If you have problems look at using a large n-buna o-ring instead of the gasket.  I really like o-rings.

I want to build a recirculating skimmer too...

Yes, I cut the keyholes by hand with a dremel.  I just cut the larger hole and then drilled a smaller hole next to each larger hole.  I then took my dremel and made the smaller hole into a slot.

I actually don't get the best seal with the full faced gasket.  The gasket material is too hard.  It leaks enough to drip a couple times every few minutes.  Do you konw of a better o-ring I could use...and possibly where to get one?  I'm not sure what n-buna means.

As for heating the acrylic, I just put my 9" acrylic flat disc sandwiched between the two plywood forms as you can see in the pictures.  I then preheated my oven to 300 deg F.  Once my oven was preheated, I put the acylic sandwich in the oven for about 10-14 minutes and it was just plyable enough that I could use my riser tube to push down and form the reducer.  It worked very slick and easy.  MUCH easier than I thought it would and I'm very happy with the results.

I posted about this on RC, and got warned about possible flammable fumes escaping from heating the acrylic...so I guess there's a chance that heating the acrylic in your kitchen oven isn't 100% safe.  I obviously felt the risk was small enough to not worry about...but if anyone wants to try the kitchen oven method...just be warned.

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:13am
very nice work.  If I was to make a smaller version would it work the same?  I don't have a ton of space under my stand and I'm just curious how well a smaller version would work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:33am
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work making it smaller.  You could easily cut the skimmer body down from 18" high to 12" high.  The footprint could get a little smaller...but not too much because the pump is just so big and all of the tubing coming in and out takes up a lot of room.  You might be able to shrink it up with some creative placement of parts.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 10:43am
How much of it can be underwater?  I think I have about 20" of space, but about 15" of it is underwater in the sump.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:06am

You can submerse it up to the flange that connects the collectin cup assembly to the body.  only 20" of space is pretty tight.  I have about 26.5" inches of space and the skimmer is 25" tall.  So I don't have much room to spare.

But you could build a skimmer that was 6" shorter (cut the body down 6") and you could almost fit it in there.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:12am

Do you konw of a better o-ring I could use...and possibly where to get one?

Search for 0-ring at www.dexonline.com for a local source.  I buy mine from HydraPak Seals on about 20th south and 37th west.  A 6.25 - 6.5 inch o-ring is about $0.50, but they have a minimum order of $5.  The thin sealing surface of the oring works great, even on 1/4" acrylic.

I'm not sure what n-buna means.

sorry... engineering habit.  n-buna is the material.  Just regular old black o-rings.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:28am
Hi people.

Where can i find the photos form this topic?

It realy inspire me to make my DIY skimmer. I put this topic in my favorites a weeks ago, i now the pictures disapear...Confused

Could any one help me please.

Thanks in advance!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:42am
The site I was using to host my files seems to be down.  I'm trying to find another cheap/free web hosting site....so I'll have them back up shortly.

Sorry!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 1:41am
Pics should be back for now...
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 1:52am
No pics :( ... just a bunch of smilies ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 3:04am
Yep including in your avatar. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobn4burton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 3:07am
Hmmm...it was working at first.  Apparently the free hosting place I just signed up for doesn't like me linking to pics from a forum???  Well...I'll get this sorted out soon.

Nobody has a reccommendation for a good free web host do they?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 3:09am
The best i know is http://www.imageshack.us/

No need to register, just upload images!Wink

Edited by Hugo RSF - June 08 2006 at 3:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic